The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Social Media Tips for FM (Yahoo)

[Lack of a "like" button isn't the only thing wrong with Fleetwood Mac's website!]

Excerpt from a Yahoo article, March 29, 2012, by Tara M. Clapper

Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, and Fleetwood Mac: How Baby Boomer Musicians Use New Media for Promotion

http://voices.yahoo.com/paul-mccartn...60.html?cat=33

Fleetwood Mac

Fleetwood Mac have consistently toured throughout much of their career. Their online presence increased significantly with their 1997 "Dance" tour. Their tour site emphasizes fan community and features complete discography and lyrics.

Though 'The Mac' have a formidable website, it doesn't push fans to social media sites. Since the band is on tour, it might increase exposure if the site directed people to post about Fleetwood Mac. The site managers could easily do this by offering content giveaways to random winners who 'share' and 'like' the band on Facebook.

Music companies have likely experienced gains in sales of digital music and merchandise in the last few years as credit card companies guarantee online sale safety to consumers previously hesitant to make online purchases with plastic. Instead of purchasing shirts at the show, fans can now buy merchandise online and wear it to concerts.

Recorded messages to fans are now personal and consistent thanks to new media-much to fans' delight. Instantly broadcast performances and interviews with Paul McCartney were unheard of during his early Beatles days.

Beyond connecting with family and friends on social media sites, music itself is partially responsible for drawing baby boomers to online social communities. E-mail lists and fan chats for McCartney, The Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac have been around since the mid-1990s. Though they are now mostly streamlined and controlled by companies rather than fans, they're still a place for fans to enthuse about their favorite music, keeping them interested beyond a list of tour dates.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Now there's a well-informed reporter.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Excerpt from a Yahoo article, March 29, 2012, by Tara M. Clapper

http://voices.yahoo.com/paul-mccartn...60.html?cat=33

Their online presence increased significantly with their 1997 "Dance" tour. Their tour site emphasizes fan community and features complete discography and lyrics.
I was curious about this "emphasizes community" aspect and went to check out the official site, which I haven't done in years. I think that description is overly generous, to say the least, but what I really want to know is who is Tom and why should I care about his vegan shoes?

Quote:
Recorded messages to fans are now personal and consistent thanks to new media-much to fans' delight. Instantly broadcast performances and interviews with Paul McCartney were unheard of during his early Beatles days.
Not every Beatle has been so successful with the posting of recorded messages. Remember this? That wasn't exactly "much to fans' delight." Peace and love, my friends!

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I was curious about this "emphasizes community" aspect and went to check out the official site, which I haven't done in years. I think that description is overly generous, to say the least,
Just let spam collect and you'll look like you're emphasizing community.

Michele
Old 04-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
E-mail lists and fan chats Fleetwood Mac have been around since the mid-1990s. Though they are now mostly streamlined and controlled by companies rather than fans...

Michelej,
I knew something was up when I received your
letter the other day. The WB stationery was a
dead giveaway.

With a community forum coming soon to the so-
called official site, should The Ledge be worried?