User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2022, 05:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
What's her aversion to playing "Sara"? It's such a great song in concert. I've only heard it once (last SYW show), but the way it builds makes it a way better concert song than "Gypsy" by far. Plus, it was the bigger hit between the two. I hear "Sara" way more than "Gypsy" when I venture out into the world.
Sara was a setlist staple since 2004 SYW Tour. It only left the set in 2014 because she swapped it for Seven Wonders, but then brought it back for the end of the OWTS Tour.

As for why she didn't do it in 2018 and 2019, I think Sara live was such a Stevie and Lindsey act where they'd sing to each other ("I'd stay home at night..."), she'd sing "All I ever wanted..." at his mic and then they'd butterfly kiss at the end. Same for why she didn't do Silver Springs in 2018/2019 (which hadn't left the set since 2009 until the 2018 Tour), she wasn't going to turn her mic at Neil and sing "I'll follow you down."

The only reason she did Sara one time solo for Soundstage in 2007 was because the producer wanted it on film, since FM didn't do it for their 2003 Boston performances that he filmed.

I hear Gypsy way more than Sara on FM radio and Sirius. It could be that it's a faster and shorter song than Sara. Also, the music video tied to the song was colossal in the 80s.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
As for why she didn't do it in 2018 and 2019, I think Sara live was such a Stevie and Lindsey act where they'd sing to each other ("I'd stay home at night..."), she'd sing "All I ever wanted..." at his mic and then they'd butterfly kiss at the end.
But how do we know how much they really did that? It’s just that we see her do that on the St. Louis film — and then, what? assume that she did that the entire tour? It’s like everyone saying she did the Charleston on “Angel” every night just because you see her do it in St. Louis, or that she had her hair in a Gibson bun for “Sara” all the time. Sometimes she did and sometimes she didn’t, I bet. We can’t just watch one film and then say, oh, that was the formula for ten months of touring.

We could check the Landover/Largo 1979 film, too, but we don’t have much visual evidence for anything.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-17-2022, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But how do we know how much they really did that? It’s just that we see her do that on the St. Louis film — and then, what? assume that she did that the entire tour? It’s like everyone saying she did the Charleston on “Angel” every night just because you see her do it in St. Louis, or that she had her hair in a Gibson bun for “Sara” all the time. Sometimes she did and sometimes she didn’t, I bet. We can’t just watch one film and then say, oh, that was the formula for ten months of touring.

We could check the Landover/Largo 1979 film, too, but we don’t have much visual evidence for anything.
I was speaking for Sara from 2004 onward, which had some acts in it that were as reliable as the Stand Back kick.

But those Saras with the red chiffon and bun were to die for! I like how she paid tribute to Tusk Tour Sara with her red coat in 2004.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

There’s also the rehearsal videos.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-18-2022, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I dug out my old external HD with all my MP3's on it and went through tons of Mac stuff and alas, I do not have any Sara's from 1988. Now, I know I've heard one and I swore I had one, but, nope. From what I recall, it was very perfunctory in its execution. Not a bad performance, but nothing special. To me, Sara peaked immediately upon being played live during the Tusk Tour. Some of those recordings are incredible - certainly the Live album and what came out on the Tusk Deluxe - but also bootlegs like Melbourne always stuck out to me as peak performances of the song. After 1980 there was always less magic IMO. Her solo performances were always meh and even on the Mirage Tour, they altered it just slightly enough to make it lesser.

The modern Sara's (2004-2017) were, like most songs in that era, performed well and somewhat true to the recorded version (as best as the band and the backing band could do it), but still rather perfunctory. The dance and the theatrics with Lindsey and Stevie were really stupid of course. "OMG SHE USED HIS MIC!!?!?!?!!?!?" Kill me.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Well, I dug out my old external HD with all my MP3's on it and went through tons of Mac stuff and alas, I do not have any Sara's from 1988. Now, I know I've heard one and I swore I had one, but, nope. From what I recall, it was very perfunctory in its execution. Not a bad performance, but nothing special. To me, Sara peaked immediately upon being played live during the Tusk Tour. Some of those recordings are incredible - certainly the Live album and what came out on the Tusk Deluxe - but also bootlegs like Melbourne always stuck out to me as peak performances of the song. After 1980 there was always less magic IMO. Her solo performances were always meh and even on the Mirage Tour, they altered it just slightly enough to make it lesser.

The modern Sara's (2004-2017) were, like most songs in that era, performed well and somewhat true to the recorded version (as best as the band and the backing band could do it), but still rather perfunctory. The dance and the theatrics with Lindsey and Stevie were really stupid of course. "OMG SHE USED HIS MIC!!?!?!?!!?!?" Kill me.
I appreciate you looking through you stash. Thank you!!

I really liked Sara on the Mirage tour. They sped up the tempo just a little bit from the Tusk tour and it sounded really good. I think Mirage tour Sara is my favorite. I’m bummed they didn’t add an entire live set to the deluxe Mirage reissue because I really wanted a live 1982 Sara.

But Stevie always sang the last line of Sara on Lindsey’s mic. She started that on the Tusk tour.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I appreciate you looking through you stash. Thank you!!

I really liked Sara on the Mirage tour. They sped up the tempo just a little bit from the Tusk tour and it sounded really good. I think Mirage tour Sara is my favorite. I’m bummed they didn’t add an entire live set to the deluxe Mirage reissue because I really wanted a live 1982 Sara.

But Stevie always sang the last line of Sara on Lindsey’s mic. She started that on the Tusk tour.
The sped up Mirage tour way is one of the chief things I didn't like about it!

There was also this thing they did right before "All I ever wanted was to know that you were dreaming" on the Tusk Tour where Lindsey and Stevie sang "oooooooohhhh...SARAAAA" twice and I think it just added something special to the song.