User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2023, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The story got longer as the tour went on. It no longer was just about the Velvet Underground and buying the fancy clothes. It became how she struggled to make it in the bizz and the harshness of being a warm up band for CCR traveling around in a car, etc.
I think from that night on, the story went back to being a tad shorter
Lindsey was probably out of his mind night after night and could not take it anymore since it was going on and on and on and on and on.
...And Christine was way more gracious than she probably ever needed to be with her, going back to the 70s. I applaud her for somehow keeping it friendly between them. I suspect that only worked because they were not friends that hung out together outside of band activities.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
...And Christine was way more gracious than she probably ever needed to be with her, going back to the 70s. I applaud her for somehow keeping it friendly between them. I suspect that only worked because they were not friends that hung out together outside of band activities.
She should have gone up to the mic and said.

Hi I'm Stevie Nicks, love me.
Hi I'm Stevie Nicks, love me. for 20 minutes.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Not to go off topic here...I'm still trying to comprehend the situation. You've got Chris and John sitting on an amp together, having full on conversations with each other because somebody in the band insists on telling a 10+ minute story before a song starts. Lindsey is standing in the dark waiting or interacting with fans in the front. Literally the entire band is so over it, almost none of them have any interest in attempting to be polite. As the band member holding court for ten minutes you would think that they would be able to read the room and figure out nobody is enjoying this. Then you have the gaul to get irritated (at times) if everyone on stage isn't intently listening to your story time when it's show #53 of a tour. It's mind boggling.
Christine blew her whistle at Stevie during an OWTS show and Stevie was upset with her.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the beginning I believe that Stevie and Christine were really pretty close friends . After Rumours and major stardom kicked in Stevie slowly became something only a mother or sychophant could love and time has not diminished this much in fact is worse than ever probably.

Old 01-25-2023, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
In the beginning I believe that Stevie and Christine were really pretty close friends . After Rumours and major stardom kicked in Stevie slowly became something only a mother or sychophant could love and time has not diminished this much in fact is worse than ever probably.
well as Chris said at some point in the early/mid 80s, (I'm paraphrasing, someone will find the exact quote) "In the beginning Stevie really had her feet on the ground, but over the past 10 years she's developed a sort of fantasy world that I'm not part of"

Typical British understatement.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey and John were never close. Weird how that never gets discussed.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-25-2023, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Weird how Lindsey never made statements that John was his best friend in the whole world...

Also weird how John hasn't gone around making sh*t up for the past 15 years.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-25-2023 at 03:06 PM..
Old 01-25-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
To be fair, it was brought up a lot in the late 70's and pretty much all of the 80's. Lately, from some reason it's taken a back seat.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
I totally agree. Dedicate the whole show/tour to Christine, but she shouldn't touch her songs. She doesn't have the voice for them.
Completely agree. not one particle of my being wants to hear stevie warbling her way through one of christine's songs.

--Lis
Old 01-25-2023, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I agree. I think early on, they were indeed pretty close and probably felt very lucky to have each other to talk to and bond with in those days of break ups and touring and life-changing success. But I don't think chris ever really inherently changed as a person, as to who she was. Even with all her success and money, the person she was in like 1973 was not much different than the person she was in 2022. Stevie, on the other hand, seemed to develop into kind of a different entity. more of 'a star' w an entourage etc...like Lindsey has said, sort of saw herself in capital letters.

-Lis
Old 01-25-2023, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
I agree. I think early on, they were indeed pretty close and probably felt very lucky to have each other to talk to and bond with in those days of break ups and touring and life-changing success. But I don't think chris ever really inherently changed as a person, as to who she was. Even with all her success and money, the person she was in like 1973 was not much different than the person she was in 2022. Stevie, on the other hand, seemed to develop into kind of a different entity. more of 'a star' w an entourage etc...like Lindsey has said, sort of saw herself in capital letters.

-Lis
Based on interviews, demeanor and overall attitude, I'd agree with you.

Bob Weston said otherwise in his q&a. He felt the Christine of the late 70s/early 80s was very different than the Christine he worked with in 1973. According to him, she used be "homely" and "content to be a musician." Later, she became someone who used her power in the industry "like a weapon."

I suppose from Weston's point of view the woman who used to make meals for everyone at Benifolds bore little resemblance to the California queen she'd become. But I still think, compared to others, Christine kept her core personality in tact.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Based on interviews, demeanor and overall attitude, I'd agree with you.

Bob Weston said otherwise in his q&a. He felt the Christine of the late 70s/early 80s was very different than the Christine he worked with in 1973. According to him, she used be "homely" and "content to be a musician." Later, she became someone who used her power in the industry "like a weapon."

I suppose from Weston's point of view the woman who used to make meals for everyone at Benifolds bore little resemblance to the California queen she'd become. But I still think, compared to others, Christine kept her core personality in tact.
that's true. actually, now that i think about it, Ken Caillat also made comments that Chris had changed a lot as well.

--Lis
Old 01-25-2023, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
In Miami 2015 during Stevie's Gypsy story she was telling how she was on the road with CCR and the car broke down and Lindsey made his guitar or something sound like a car horn honking during her speech. She stopped mid sentence, turned to Lindsey and asked "Did you do that? Why did you do that? Then she turned to the audience and asked "Am I going on too long? She stopped telling the story. She was furious and they started the song. At the end of the concert, Stevie was still pissed off. She did not come out for her usual banter about Chris.
and that's why he needed to be fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Christine blew her whistle at Stevie during an OWTS show and Stevie was upset with her.
and that's why if she said no to Lindsey's firing, she would have probably been the next one to go.

never share the stage again with these bad bad non-worshipping people.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-25-2023, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I imagined being at one of Stevie’s upcoming shows, and imagined her band performing Don’t Stop, and could see the audience singing along in a joyous manner, and then maybe as they’re leaving the venue saying something about how great Christine was. I figure being a Stevie solo show, there may be some folks who didn’t know Christine wrote Don’t Stop, and seeing pictures of Christine during the song will expose her to them.
yes. i think Stevie doing Don't Stop and clearly identifying it as Christine's song, making sure to emphasize Christine was her equal and just as important (or even more) singer/songwriter in FM and dedicating it to her memory would be a nice thing, considering Stevie is much better known FM member.

this is very different from her riding the coattails of Prince or Tom Petty who were both so much more known & successful acts than she has been. in that case, especially about Prince with whom she barely had any contact or relationship, it felt like exploiting a hugely popular and respected act to make herself look more important. it would be exactly the opposite with Christine.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-25-2023, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Completely agree. not one particle of my being wants to hear stevie warbling her way through one of christine's songs.

--Lis
You won the post of the week