User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2022, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Exactly. Bruce was bigger than the Mac at that time. You are exactly right. Bruce is a brand and sound. It would make no sense. Sammy Hagar was an excellent replacement for Roth. He played guitar, could sing better than Dave, wrote songs, etc. He was a C list rock performer before Van Halen. That rating is not by talent but by commercial success prior to Van Halen.
I think Bruce has been bigger than The Mac since Born In the USA.
Bruce's sound to me is mostly Roy Bittan (I love Clarence and Max but they have had substitutes who did great) and Roy shared that sound with Stevie.
I still think FM could have made great music. As you know, Bruce offered one of his songs to Stevie but Stevie wanted to change the chorus.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Todd Sharp and Steve Ross would be the most obvious choices, but I'll throw in three other contenders

1) Nick Lowe
2) Todd Rundgren
3) Steve Winwood (he actually played a private show with the Rumours lineup minus Buckingham in 1996)
Old 07-04-2022, 12:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post

2) Marshall Crenshaw- he has similar musical sensibilities to Lindsey, but his stage shows are incredibly simple. Might have been interesting. Too bad Lindsey and Marshall never collaborated.
Crenshaw would have been a great choice.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He was a C list rock performer before Van Halen. That rating is not by talent but by commercial success prior to Van Halen.
HUH?!? He wrote "I Can't Drive 55" and the speed limit was raised to 65 within a year or two! The song and video were nearly impossible to escape.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-05-2022, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
2) Rick Astley- he would have brought some much needed youth to the band. Plus he’d never let FM down, or run around and desert them! They could have been together forever!
Did...Did you just Rickroll The Ledge?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-05-2022, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
3) Steve Winwood (he actually played a private show with the Rumours lineup minus Buckingham in 1996)
Mike Campbell suggested Steve Winwood but the others shot that down.

“They just looked at me like, ‘Um, what did he say?’ Mick said, ‘I think that'll tip the scales a little too far.’ … I think they wanted somebody that wasn't already that strong of a voice that would maybe pull away from the Fleetwood Mac legacy too much.”

Again, going back to 1987, is why Peter Frampton, who really only had three hits with any kind of staying power, would have been the perfect choice. He had a big enough name that would have gotten a lot of buzz but wasn't so big that it would overshadow Fleetwood Mac. That "Frampton Comes Alive" sort of danced with "Fleetwood Mac" and "Rumours" on the charts would have made that material integrate into the setlist a little easier.

Still, Billy and Rick are to be commended for getting the tour to opening night in six weeks.

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 07-05-2022 at 01:14 AM..
Old 07-05-2022, 04:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
HUH?!? He wrote "I Can't Drive 55" and the speed limit was raised to 65 within a year or two! The song and video were nearly impossible to escape.
He had a few rock hits and had a good/average career. He was always the opening act for someone. No shame just the facts.

You are joking the speed limit was raised because of him. Surely you can't be serious. I always heard the speed limit was raised because Little Lies stalled on the charts at #1 while Billy Idol leaped frogged to #1. Many angry fans put the medal to the pedal.

Peter Framptom was a solo guy. He would not want to be confined to a group after being a solo guy most of his career and for the superstardom he once had. That is why Rick and Billy fit. They were not washed up former stars. Why would Framptom give up his music to play along to Say You Love Me? I think not. Many would not even want to join for trying to fill Lindsey's shoes and constantly being compared to Lindsey. Add the fact the new members were not creative forces in the band. They were not asked to record a song and make an album. They were just hired to perform on stage. One last point, the Mac would never hire someone like that to overshadow their own band. Framptom Mac? No one would have considered such a move.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-05-2022 at 06:30 AM..
Old 07-05-2022, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Wow I never knew this! What are the details? What did they play? What brought this to be? So many questions!
Old 07-05-2022, 10:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Wow I never knew this! What are the details? What did they play? What brought this to be? So many questions!
I just know he collaborated in Christine's 1984 album. But yes, I just found this:

Winwood featured on two tracks on Christine McVie's self-titled 1984 album duetting with her on One in a Million and co-writing Ask Anybody as well as playing synthesiser on this and many other of the album's tracks.

He played a gig with the Rumours line-up of Fleetwood Mac in place of Lindsey Buckingham in 1996 at a private party prior to that year's Kentucky Derby. Ironically his former Traffic colleague Dave Mason had left the band only the year before.

https://fleetwoodmac.fandom.com/wiki/Steve_Winwood

But when it says "Rumours lineup" it didn't included Billy? Time was released in 1995. The Dance in 1997. I didn't know of any live performance with Stevie or Chris before The Dance.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lots of boring choices and lots of outlandish choices. But for truly boring and outlandish, how about Bob Mould (Husker Du), Paul Weller, the Williams Brothers, John Hiatt, or Wendy O. Williams.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 07-05-2022, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only way Fleetwood Mac could survive without Buckingham would have been to entirely reinvent their front line and “go small.” They wanted big $, they were chasing Rumours II, they needed…a Hologram but it wasn’t invented.

In 1987, Winwood or Frampton would have made good choices, though neither would have been able approximate Lindsey or sell TANGO.

If we’re just thinking post-tango Nick Lowe could have inspired Christine to write more more songs like “So Excited.” Can’t imagine his songs or approach blending with Stevie.

Bob Welch floated the idea of rejoining to Mick but the suggestion came and went without comment (see one of Welch’s Q&As).

I’m not a Sammy Hagar fan — at all. But of all the choices presented, he would have fit best with Stevie and been able to give testosterone-fueled renditions of the few Lindsey songs used. And he could have sung “World Turning.” But man, that scenario totally depresses me.

Lindsey is Lindsey. And by 1986 the band needed (needs) him. Without them their act was pointless and dull.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The only way Fleetwood Mac could survive without Buckingham would have been to entirely reinvent their front line and “go small.” They wanted big $, they were chasing Rumours II, they needed…a Hologram but it wasn’t invented.

In 1987, Winwood or Frampton would have made good choices, though neither would have been able approximate Lindsey or sell TANGO.
Neither Billy nor Rick took the spotlight away from Christine and Stevie, who were the main draws during the Shake the Cage and BTM tours. On the contrary, a high profile replacement like Winwood or Frampton would have necessitated the inclusion of their songs into the tour setlist while also drawing attention away from Christine and Stevie, something the members of Fleetwood Mac may not have been on board with.
Old 07-05-2022, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You are joking the speed limit was raised because of him. Surely you can't be serious.
I am serious. And don’t call me “Shirley.”

“I Can’t Drive 55” came out in mid-1984, and then…

“ The [National Maximum Speed Limit] was modified in 1987 and 1988 to allow up to 65 mph (105 km/h) limits on certain limited-access rural roads. Congress repealed the NMSL in 1995, fully returning speed limit-setting authority to the individual states.”

Quote:
Peter Framptom was a solo guy.
He was a founding member of Humble Pie with Steve Marriott, who split up Small Faces to form when the others wouldn’t let him in the band.

This actually bit Marriott in the ass when the Jimmy Page was looking for a new singer for New Yardbirds. Instead, Page had to settle on a Steve Marriott clone named Robert Plant.

Quote:
He would not want to be confined to a group after being a solo guy most of his career and for the superstardom he once had.
LOL, he was acting as David Bowie’s lead guitarist on his 1987 tour. Ironically, they were in Anaheim around the day Lindsey quit. He totally would have done it.

Quote:
They were not washed up former stars…One last point, the Mac would never hire someone like that to overshadow their own band. Framptom Mac? No one would have considered such a move.
And yet they put Dave Mason in the band.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-05-2022, 09:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
But for truly boring and outlandish, how about Bob Mould (Husker Du),
You know, his rhythm section were Robert Pollard’s rhythm section, first.

A few years back, my fiancée and I were at Riot Fest on the GbV guest list in Chicago. I bumped into the bassist, Jason Narducy, who is an acquaintance, on our way to the band-crew catering area. We chatted for a few and then he had to start getting ready for their set. Anyway, after getting a couple of beers, we went to this table and I said that I think I wanted to see Bob Mould. Just as I say that, Bob Mould walked by and I said “And there he is.”

My fiancée was in tears.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-05-2022, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
And by 1986 the band needed (needs) him. Without them their act was pointless and dull.
Why did it take from 1982 - 1986 for the band to start making Tango? Was this gap the 3-4 years Stevie liked to have to do her solo work? She did 2 albums, 2 tours, and I think some soundtrack appearances in that time (as well as going to Australia with Dylan)