User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-08-2023, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
As far as WISYA, those incessant Whassamattababayyyys are definitely at the top of my list. But her voice throughout and the rest of the lyrics are also awful. “She walks slowly down the hall, there are many doors in the hallway…she stares at the stairs, oooh there are many things to stare at these days.” Holy hell, we’ve come a long way from Gold Dust Woman and Gypsy. And I’d say Lindsey’s part at the end is probably the best part of the whole shambles.
This post could have been written by me! I also agree that Lindsey’s vocal is the only redeeming part of the song. The way it’s sang and produced, it’s horrible. I feel like there is an alternate take on the Deluxe Tango… maybe it has a better version?
Old 01-09-2023, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
I am a Silver Girl sucker.
It has a nice melody, like “I Miss You” on the album before it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2023, 10:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There are some not so great lines in Silver Girl, but there are pleeeennnntttyyy of equally cringey lines throughout her solo catalog. I was always surprised by the unanimous hate the song receives given the amount of clunker moments across her catalog.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
There are some not so great lines in Silver Girl, but there are pleeeennnntttyyy of equally cringey lines throughout her solo catalog. I was always surprised by the unanimous hate the song receives given the amount of clunker moments across her catalog.
For me it's the truly bad tone quality of her voice. And strangely, I don't mind WISYA. I quite like Lindsey saving this WISYA and the angst in her voice of seeing that person again.

Silver Girl, it's just a bad vocal. Nasal and boring...

She had the Midas touch
She was lady luck
She's got a million bucks
And she looks like it
She's had a few hard times
Sometimes it blows her mind
Papers she never signed
Sometimes she remembers
Old 01-10-2023, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
For me it's the truly bad tone quality of her voice. And strangely, I don't mind WISYA. I quite like Lindsey saving this WISYA and the angst in her voice of seeing that person again.

Silver Girl, it's just a bad vocal. Nasal and boring...

She had the Midas touch
She was lady luck
She's got a million bucks
And she looks like it
She's had a few hard times
Sometimes it blows her mind
Papers she never signed
Sometimes she remembers

I always thought they could have done a nice re-do of WISYA when they were working on Without You for the 2013 EP. Even a straight forward vocal with a nice acoustic arrangement from Lindsey would have been a huge improvement. Some rework on the lyrics would have helped it even more, but that's choppy waters to navigate.

I've always drooled over an album project that was all new acoustic arrangements of songs from their catalog. WISYA, Goodbye Baby, That's Alright, Storms etc. That could have been a low pressure way to get the band back in the studio without the pressure of writing new material.

And this is where I get really, really sad because I realize this will never happen.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-10-2023 at 10:36 AM..
Old 01-10-2023, 10:37 AM

Quote:
I always thought they could have done a nice re-do of WISYA when they were working on Without You for the 2013 EP. Even a straight forward vocal with a nice acoustic arrangement from Lindsey would have been a huge improvement. Some rework on the lyrics would have helped it even more, but that's choppy waters to navigate.

I've always drooled over an album project that was all new acoustic arrangements of songs from their catalog. WISYA, Goodbye Baby, That's Alright, Storms etc. That could have been a low pressure way to get the band back in the studio without the pressure of writing new material.
I've always thought Little Lies acoustic would be fabulous!
Old 01-10-2023, 10:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've always thought Little Lies acoustic would be fabulous!
I love this early demo that is largely just the band cutting a straight forward track with guitar and drums. It almost sounds like a Mirage era track even though it isnt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42969mS5ckA
Old 01-10-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I love this early demo that is largely just the band cutting a straight forward track with guitar and drums. It almost sounds like a Mirage era track even though it isnt.

That's really cool! I've not heard that one.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

That is a really cool demo. It definitely sounds like it could be from the recording of Mirage. Also, that’s a really good picture of Christine and Lindsey.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
That is a really cool demo. It definitely sounds like it could be from the recording of Mirage. Also, that’s a really good picture of Christine and Lindsey.
I really do like that photo.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've always drooled over an album project that was all new acoustic arrangements of songs from their catalog.
That idea could have really worked beautifully back around Rumours. Rumours itself already has a lot of acoustic work on it, and the harmonizing was the zenith. Tusk has a bit of unplugged approach, too, on some tracks, but sounded like a studio environment compared with Rumours. The Danny and Christine band probably played some great unplugged numbers in rehearsals and such.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2023, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always felt that Stevie's limited range could work really well in more of an unplugged setting. I think that's why her cover of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" stands out as being probably the best thing she's done in a while in terms of vocals and production. As her voice has aged she keeps trying to utilize it in the same way she did 20+ years ago. It would be like if Joni Mitchell was still trying to do what she did in 1974. Stevie has always had that focus on pop commercial success, so I suppose that is why. Joni had an entirely different take on evolving as an artist and utilizing her voice differently as an instrument as it changed.

Last edited by BigAl84; 01-10-2023 at 02:09 PM..
Old 01-10-2023, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And this is where I get really, really sad because I realize this will never happen.
Much as I loathe WISYA, I always thought in an alternative universe, a live version with just S&L on stage could have been really good. The lyrics would still be garbage in spots.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Much as I loathe WISYA, I always thought in an alternative universe, a live version with just S&L on stage could have been really good. The lyrics would still be garbage in spots.
Right!? I think they easily could have put their sober heads together to fix it up and actually have something beautiful.