User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post

Also, FYI, he says (not in reference to Tango particularly, but in general): "Constructing harmonies is like engineering. You turn the knobs until it sounds good."
I'd love to ask Tango Lindsey how he'd feel about performing with karaoke tracks, 35 years in the future.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick's account sounds wrong. Stevie is on only four songs on Mirage too (hers, plus "Love In Store"). So why would a similar level of participation on Tango be viewed as precedent-breaking?

According to Lindsey, in his interview in Paul Zollo's book Songwriters On Songwriting, Tango started life as a Lindsey Buckingham solo album. He could turn what he had started over to the band, or keep it for himself, and make more of a cameo on a FM album, with outside producers. He opted for the former.

That said, he says there are some things on which he is only band member playing. When Zollo asks about the writing of "Mystified": "A few of the things on Tango In The Night were done in a little bit of a different way. I took a bunch of the raw material home and Christine's basic drum track and worked at home on that and on a couple of things that weren't really the band. One of the reasons we did that was because it was really hard to get everybody together.... So a few things of Christine's I took home to re-work. So I think the melody on that was her seed and whatever I put over it."

Also, FYI, he says (not in reference to Tango particularly, but in general): "Constructing harmonies is like engineering. You turn the knobs until it sounds good."
Mystified has always been a snoooooozer for me. And her vocals def sound tweaked, with her voice made higher than it was/is on verses.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Yesterday in the car Everywhere came on. I again tried to listen for Stevie but never heard her. But I had a great idea. I think she should have been on the ending part....da da da da. It would have been a nice punch for the song. Her voice may have overpowered other parts of the song because Lindsey crafted a very delicate back up vocal. Its not like this live where back up vocals are powerful and strong.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Mystified has always been a snoooooozer for me. And her vocals def sound tweaked, with her voice made higher than it was/is on verses.
I always thought that was Lindsey on the chorus.
Old 05-29-2022, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always thought that was Lindsey on the chorus.
I always loved this song. It’s definitely an “altered vocal track” It’s like Don’t stop to me ….your not sure if your hearing Lindsey’s voice or Christine’s.
Old 05-29-2022, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

On the chorus, it's Christine's voice singing lead. Lindsey is singing a barely perceptible low harmony.

The backing vocals on the verses are all Lindsey.
Old 05-30-2022, 12:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

On one of the alternative takes of Mystified on the Tango deluxe, it's clearly Lindsey singing the chorus. It works rather well, I think.
Old 05-30-2022, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Mick's account sounds wrong. Stevie is on only four songs on Mirage too (hers, plus "Love In Store"). So why would a similar level of participation on Tango be viewed as precedent-breaking?

According to Lindsey, in his interview in Paul Zollo's book Songwriters On Songwriting, Tango started life as a Lindsey Buckingham solo album. He could turn what he had started over to the band, or keep it for himself, and make more of a cameo on a FM album, with outside producers. He opted for the former.

That said, he says there are some things on which he is only band member playing. When Zollo asks about the writing of "Mystified": "A few of the things on Tango In The Night were done in a little bit of a different way. I took a bunch of the raw material home and Christine's basic drum track and worked at home on that and on a couple of things that weren't really the band. One of the reasons we did that was because it was really hard to get everybody together.... So a few things of Christine's I took home to re-work. So I think the melody on that was her seed and whatever I put over it."

Is she also on “Book of Love” or is that Lindsey goofing around with voices? But, yeah, she’s not on a heck of a lot on Mirage. I think the difference is she appears to have been present when several of the base tracks were recorded, but not for the mixing and overdubbing. (The outtakes and early versions on the Deluxe suggest this.)
Old 05-31-2022, 07:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Is she also on “Book of Love” or is that Lindsey goofing around with voices?
Thank you for an excuse to listen to this sublime song on my headphones at top decibel.

Stevie is on the chorus of the early version but not of the album version.
As for the 'ahhhs' throughout the verses, I'm inclined to think it is all Lindsey, but I might be wrong and Christine is layered in those somewhere.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think some of these things we’re just not going to be able to say for sure. Someone would need to examine the tracking data from the reel-to-reel tapes to see who is singing and who is pretending to sing. I wish somebody from Warner Bros were highly active on the Ledge. We could just say, “Hey, Phil, can you go check after work?”

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-31-2022, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s unfortunate that fans have to play detective to figure out who is singing on certain songs. This appears to be an issue with many of the songs Lindsey produced. We should be able to know with confidence who is singing on Mystified. I’ve seen similar questions on here about Family Man, Everywhere, Little Lies, etc. I suspect this is something Lindsey enjoyed doing, starting with Tusk and continuing with Mirage and Tango. If Lindsey hadn’t left FM and had produced Behind the Mask (and I know that would have been an entirely different album if he had produced it), the harmonies of Skies the Limit, Behind the Mask, Save Me, etc would have been gone and we would have primarily heard Lindsey’s voice in the chorus of most of those songs, with little contribution from Stevie.
Old 05-31-2022, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Lindsey uses all three voices but just mixes the harmonies so their almost unidentifiable . (Book of Love/Empire States/Eyes of the World/Everywhere/Mystified etc……) He did the same thing with his songs on the Buck/McVie album.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I think Lindsey uses all three voices but just mixes the harmonies so their almost unidentifiable . (Book of Love/Empire States/Eyes of the World/Everywhere/Mystified etc……) He did the same thing with his songs on the Buck/McVie album.
It’s weird. Sometimes that decision works (I’m not sure band presence on a few of his Tusk songs would have improved them and, in fact, might have dulled their edges), but on a song like, say, “Eyes of the World,” multi-layered three-part harmonies could have given the song additional charm. I’m also thinking of the live versions of that song from 1982, where Chris and Lindsey are singing the single note calls-and-responses on the intro (I’ve heard some things like this in African Congo music) and then Stevie belts her harmonies on the chorus. That’s classic stuff. The live version is simply better, more energized, more “up” and more rock-n-roll.

Edit: And yes, I know that opening call-response on the live version is Pachelbel, but the execution of it reminds me of Pygmy folk music I once heard in a World Music class.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 05-31-2022 at 09:45 PM..
Old 05-31-2022, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There is NO WAY $tevie could have sang Christine's part on the intro and break in Eyes.

Christine and Lindsey made FM, yet the Old Goat got all the attention. That's bahhhhhhhhh'd.
Old 06-01-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
There is NO WAY $tevie could have sang Christine's part on the intro and break in Eyes.

Christine and Lindsey made FM, yet the Old Goat got all the attention. That's bahhhhhhhhh'd.
Stevie would have thought it was Taco Bell's Canon vs. Pachelbel's Canon