User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I recall a review of the album at the time that called it a "music box" of sounds and I always thought that was a good way to put it... Metaphorically it is sort of a wind- up music box with lots of tinkly and plinky sorts of sounds and as you say, a bubbliness and cheeriness, even if lyrically some of the songs weren't as cheery (Gypsy is actually a bit dark, but the arrangement is most definitely not).
Oh, yes—wasn’t that the review in Rolling Stone? It’s an apt metaphor.
Old 07-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I recall a review of the album at the time that called it a "music box" of sounds and I always thought that was a good way to put it... Metaphorically it is sort of a wind- up music box with lots of tinkly and plinky sorts of sounds and as you say, a bubbliness and cheeriness, even if lyrically some of the songs weren't as cheery (Gypsy is actually a bit dark, but the arrangement is most definitely not).
Yes, the Rolling Stone review which was meh but a little positive but not overwhelming. I don't think they meant Music Box as a compliment. The review did end on a positive note that Mirage was an album you want to sit down to dinner with a bottle of wine with. Great for romance I guess
Mirage did not get great reviews and was shunned by rock stations. It was not the bounce back from Tusk the rock stations hoped for.
I love that everyone loves Mirage but I like diverse opinions. I remember when I first joined this board that Mirage was as popular as SYW I don't know if those people left or people changed their minds.
Is there anyone that does not like Mirage? I love it but I wish the Mirage cut Smile At You was on the album. Its so powerful and awesome but maybe it did not fit the "music box" theme. I find the term music box insulting because it takes away from the creativity. A music box is light elevator music that is programmed and not daring. Thats how I saw the Rolling Stone review. They were right in some ways. I think Chris even mentioned that maybe they were too cautious with Mirage because of how Tusk got flamed. But the songs are good and everyone was still writing brilliant songs at this time especially Stevie.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-04-2022 at 06:11 PM..
Old 07-05-2022, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really agree and love your comments!
In fact, the original Smile At You would have sounded great! But I guess they decided to include Straight Back as the "rock" song.
Reading this, I'm totally convinced that Oh Diane would receive more love if the band included the instrumental version on the final album!
Aaaaand, and, and I ask myself, what could happened if Teen Beat or Blue Monday were included too, replacing Empire State?? Would be Empire State a loved song today in character of a "rare" one?
Old 07-12-2022, 08:17 AM

https://www.loudersound.com/features...R1_LFnrrIL7KTs
Old 07-12-2022, 11:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Thanks for posting. That was the best 40th Mirage anniversary article yet. Her take on Mirage is understandable. They are great songs but so commercial. Rumours was not trying to be commercial. Its that organic feel that makes songs great.

This is the second admission that Chris says she quit drugs around then. However here she says she was not on drugs during Mirage. The other interview I heard many years ago she said after the Mirage tour and during her solo album is when she stopped doing cocaine. It sounds like Chris loves making albums because as miserable as Tango was for the other band members, Chris loved it. I have heard Mirage stories of not so much fun. There was no air conditioning and too many drugs and Bella Donna was staring Lindsey in the face. They never even appear together in the Hold Me video which shows they were not getting along that well. Yet chummy Christine yet again talks about how much fun making Mirage was. Just interesting. I remember the People magazine article about Dennis's death and it showed the heart design in Christine's garden. Its so weird she hated it. Yet she loved him when he did crazy stuff. Just odd.
I always got the impression Stevie was not happy recording Mirage either. It interrupted her solo album tour and the lyrics of Straight Back.
Loved the Chris interview!!!!!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-12-2022 at 04:39 PM..
Old 07-12-2022, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember the People magazine article about Dennis's death and it showed the heart design in Christine's garden. Its so weird she hated it.
That's because HE HAD THE FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BILL FOR IT SENT TO HER!!!!

His GIFT to her was billed to her!!!!!! What a LOSER.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
That's because HE HAD THE FIFTY THOUSAND DOLLAR BILL FOR IT SENT TO HER!!!!

His GIFT to her was billed to her!!!!!! What a LOSER.
Its the thought that counts

He was a total nutcase. Many women flock to these guys. I found it chilling where she said the real Dennis was sweet but you rarely saw that side. So basically he's an ass**** 95% of the time.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its the thought that counts

He was a total nutcase. Many women flock to these guys. I found it chilling where she said the real Dennis was sweet but you rarely saw that side. So basically he's an ass**** 95% of the time.
I must be related to her, because that's what all the women in my family do. They don't want some good Christian boy. They want a bad boy that treats them like sh*t. Because I guess that makes them "so excited".