User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Amsterdam poster

Hi,

For those who might be interested, I found a picture of the poster of the Amsterdam concert, february 28, 1969.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1969-02-28 poster Amsterdam.jpg (89.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 07-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi Wouter Vuijk!

And thank you so much for posting the picture!!
It's always great to see a "new" poster like that.

Daniel
Old 07-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Awesome! Thank you posting that. I have searched all over the Internet in search of concert posters from the Netherlands and Sweden, Denmark and Norway and have come up empty handed on most tries.
Did a little research and found out (although I am sure that you knew)Cuby + Blizzards were a Dutch blues band.
Looks like they did mainly original material, although I noticed Elmore James' "The Sky Is Crying" and Sonny Boy Williamson II's "Help Me" among the titles.
Learned something new! How cool is that?

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Awesome! Thank you posting that. I have searched all over the Internet in search of concert posters from the Netherlands and Sweden, Denmark and Norway and have come up empty handed on most tries.
Did a little research and found out (although I am sure that you knew)Cuby + Blizzards were a Dutch blues band.
Looks like they did mainly original material, although I noticed Elmore James' "The Sky Is Crying" and Sonny Boy Williamson II's "Help Me" among the titles.
Learned something new! How cool is that?
As you can see on the poster, Cuby & The Blizzards played that night (Cuby is still active) as well as did Living Blues, a band I liked better. The harmonica player of Living Blues died a couple of days ago. The poster was presented to a couple of Dutch blues fanatics (among myself) in respect to this sad event. I'm glad they did post me that poster, being especiallly FM-PG fan. That year they also played in Rotterdam. Living in Rotterdam from 1968-1970, I'm still happy to have been able to see them live. I don't have many memories, though I still remember them playing a very long song with Mick leaning over his hi-hat and keeping up a steady rhythm. By now I know that must have been the Green Manalishi, a song I didn't know of at that time. Sorry it's not on tape although I do have many other recordings of Manalishi live.

Wouter
Old 07-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the additional information. I just didn't think that "Livin' Blues" was the name of a band! I looked them up, but I was not able to find any info on the band.
Their "look", in photos which I would guess come from the early and mid-seventies, make them look like they play a harder "boogie-style" type blues i.e. Foghat, Savoy Brown.
Would you be able to give us any idea of the type of music they played?
thanks in advance

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
Thanks for the additional information. I just didn't think that "Livin' Blues" was the name of a band! I looked them up, but I was not able to find any info on the band.
Their "look", in photos which I would guess come from the early and mid-seventies, make them look like they play a harder "boogie-style" type blues i.e. Foghat, Savoy Brown.
Would you be able to give us any idea of the type of music they played?
thanks in advance
I don't know how to post mp3's to the ledge. However you can download (free) their music from:
http://www.grammy.ru/index1.php?act=...er=Livin+Blues
Take notice of the albums "Hells Session" (1969) and "Wang Dang Doodle" (1970). These are absolutely the best.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wouter,
Again, thank you.
Down loaded a few songs - I think Savoy Brown is a fair comparison. Good stuff.
I find it interesting to see who Fleetwood Mac shared bills with - whether they were opening, or if they were the headliners.
It is interesting (to me anyway) to see what they were exposed to.

In May of 1968 they toured Sweden, Denmark and Norway. In Denmark, possibly other venues also, they shared the bill with Ten Years After and The Fugs.
"Standing At The Crossroads" was a standard of Ten Years After's set at that time.
The Fugs, were infamous for their shocking behavior, outrageous songs and on stage language.
Of course Spencer most likely knew the Elmore James number, but the first recording we have of the band playing it is from June of that year at the Carousel Ballroom.
Did the Fugs inspire the boys to take their act just a little bit further?
It is impossible to know. But interesting to consider.

E. Vedder