The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-13-2021, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I listened to some of the first disc and the third disc at low volume (my dog was sleeping) last night on Spotify. The labeling on all three discs is all screwed up. That’s disappointing and yet a little comical at this stage of the game. I’ll listen again at higher volume because I’m curious to see whether intros and outros contain a little more data, with the remastering.

The Santa Monica Civic Auditorium cuts are dated Sept. 4. New one on me. If it’s correct, it means that these things didn’t come from a band rehearsal in July for the final leg — my working hypothesis. Why would the band gather to play for anything three days after the tour ended? I can only conclude that they intended to play new things for the live album they already had planned, and maybe to record some bits and pieces of things for patching. In fact, maybe Stevie’s wondrously bronchial singing on “Sara” was recorded here and then laid on the instrumental tracks from St. Louis almost a year earlier.

I love the third disc. I love “What Makes You Think,” but I knew I would anyway. (If “So Afraid” was a bulldog onstage, this was a kangaroo on a sugar high — imagine Bobby Van on a pogo stick.) The August 1980 performances mark the band’s live apogee in my brain. There’s nothing before or since in this incarnation’s live cycles that capture the preternatural communication among the musicians and that end-of-tour enervation, bundled with such individuality and such personal voice (no other band in the world sounded like Fleetwood Mac in August 1980). To my ears and eyes, it’s like the sexually desperate, sophisticated waning of a great culture before implosion — it’s Fleetwood Mac’s Weimar period.

“Angel” is supposed to be from Richfield Coliseum, the same show used for the 20/20 TV show. Has anyone checked the two for confirmation? “Angel” is splendid here, but I don’t know whether it’s actually Cleveland as advertised. We were also supposed to get “The Chain” from Cleveland on this album, but we know we got LA 1982. I had really hoped we’d get at least something from the Bowl 1980 because, after all, it was supposed to be the original Live album. Maybe when they reissue this three-disc package a few years from now, they’ll suddenly “find” some Bowl cuts and add them?

Stevie’s harmony singing on “Second Hand News” is powerfully spot on. She matches Lindsey’s drive yelp for yelp. Neither one of them is going to let the other outpace. That kind of competition is so much more thrilling than the staged melodrama on “Silver Springs” in 1997. Give me this genuine musical athleticism any day. I think I was at that LA show, too, but hearing it now doesn’t spark any specific memories other than what was filmed.

And we’ve all complained, even the reviewers: I wish they could have added a fourth disc instead of all the vinyl crap and repro tour collectibles. Who needs that garbage, especially when it displaces another disc of old concert audio?

My grade: A–
It’s about as great as the white, Rumours, and Tusk deluxe sets, and better than the Mirage and Tango sets. I look forward to reading the Wild article and seeing the pictures.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 04-13-2021 at 11:37 AM..
Old 04-13-2021, 12:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
As for the haters, if you don't want to buy it then don't. There are digital files for $18 if $100 is too much, but to come on here and try to spoil other people enjoyment over your own hateful rederick makes you out to be nothing more than another internet troll.

Dramatic much?
$100 IS TOO MUCH. If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, perhaps you shouldn't come to community forums!

Btw, have I mentioned that $100 IS TOO MUCH?
Old 04-13-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Yeah, I agree with you. Live was always one of my favorites and I was starting to think we weren't going to get a deluxe edition for it. I had a chance to listen to it several times now and love everything on it. After several listens I now recognize what Stevie is saying at the end of SOTM but didn't realize it was from Cecelia. This is something that I will enjoy for years, and so glad we got it after being in the vault for 40 years!

As for the haters, if you don't want to buy it then don't. There are digital files for $18 if $100 is too much, but to come on here and try to spoil other people enjoyment over your own hateful rederick makes you out to be nothing more than another internet troll.
I like it, I swear!!! I give it an A-. There were a few times I was underwhelmed. But, not often.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Dramatic much?
$100 IS TOO MUCH. If you don't want to hear other people's opinions, perhaps you shouldn't come to community forums!

Btw, have I mentioned that $100 IS TOO MUCH?
Hey enough with the hateful rederick!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Hey enough with the hateful rederick!
Wtf is rederick, anyway?

And I'm rarely hateful, but usually a smart ass. Don't confuse the two!
Old 04-13-2021, 02:47 PM
Ledgie

If there was only one officially released Fleetwood Mac CD that I could take to a desert island, it would be LIVE.( I should point out that I always skip Not that Funny,Never Going back Again and One More Lonely Night) Still awaiting the box, but based on one itunes listening of Disc 3, I am happy with it- despite the apparent inaccuracy with dates and venues, which is really unacceptable.
I have about 100 + live shows from 1975-2019, so I am familiar with live versions of these songs . That said, disc three has some great material. Stand outs at first listening were Hold Me, Brown Eyes and -much to my surprise- Tusk , which is much more 'fluid' than later versions.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Wtf is rederick, anyway?
I thought it southern for rhetoric

Old 04-13-2021, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
I thought it southern for rhetoric
I'm not certain, as Imma Yankee transplant. Although I'm fixin' to pull up my britches and find out(those are my two favorite southern words).

I hadn't even figured out that they were trying to spell rhetoric!
Old 04-13-2021, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm not certain, as Imma Yankee transplant. Although I'm fixin' to pull up my britches and find out(those are my two favorite southern words).

I hadn't even figured out that they were trying to spell rhetoric!
I’m from a little town near Birmingham, deep in Christine homeland...the Black Country.
And even I knew what BS3 meant!!...

I’ve been persuaded ..I’m buying mine tomorrow, can’t wait.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great packaging of the Live box set. The demos of Fireflies and One More Night are amazing with those clean youthful voices. I will be listening to the three discs tomorrow. Some great never before pictures of outtakes from the album cover.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillamene View Post
If there was only one officially released Fleetwood Mac CD that I could take to a desert island, it would be LIVE.( I should point out that I always skip Not that Funny,Never Going back Again and One More Lonely Night) Still awaiting the box, but based on one itunes listening of Disc 3, I am happy with it- despite the apparent inaccuracy with dates and venues, which is really unacceptable.
I have about 100 + live shows from 1975-2019, so I am familiar with live versions of these songs . That said, disc three has some great material. Stand outs at first listening were Hold Me, Brown Eyes and -much to my surprise- Tusk , which is much more 'fluid' than later versions.
That's the best Tusk Live, that I've heard. It's fluid, it makes more sense as a song, it jams to give the crowd energy.

I've always thought it was just filler live.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I’m from a little town near Birmingham, deep in Christine homeland...the Black Country.
And even I knew what BS3 meant!!...

I’ve been persuaded ..I’m buying mine tomorrow, can’t wait.
From what I understand the dialect spoken in the Black Country of the Midlands is the oldest version of English in existence !

Old 04-13-2021, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Great packaging of the Live box set. The demos of Fireflies and One More Night are amazing with those clean youthful voices. I will be listening to the three discs tomorrow. Some great never before pictures of outtakes from the album cover.
Is Fireflies just Stevie and keys? Thank you!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Is Fireflies just Stevie and keys? Thank you!
It’s only her voice but it may have more then keys... I have only listened to it once.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m underwhelmed by the reissue. Of the new offerings, “The Chain” stands out as excellent. I love it, love it, love it. The rest is fair-to-good but not outstanding. “Angel” sounds decent but without SEEING Stevie doing the dancehall bit on stage I’m not especially excited. Her vocals on “Gold Dust” are flat. Why pick an unadventurous version of “Sisters” when there are other well-known better ones?

Christine sounds best on “Brown Eyes, though it’s not an obvious song to do live. Her vocals on “TAM” are better than the YouTube one that’s been floating around for years, but the rest of the band don’t sound as energized. She sounds tired on “YMLF” and outright exhausted on “Songbird.” “Hold Me” is lovely and fun.

Lindsey fares best because his raucous songs are best suited to the stadiums. “WMYTYTO” and “Tusk” shine here. Still, I’m not terribly interested in repeated listenings.

The original release’s version of “Not That Funny” is good, but nowhere near as good as the Mirage tour version on YouTube.

So, in all, meh. I’m glad for “The Chain.”