Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
I was not at that concert in 1971, but I can tell you that I was at 8 or 9 or i cant remember , during that time period, late shows at the fillmore east , in colleges throughout the northeast, where it was not unusual for the 11pm show to end in daylight.. While this is proof of nothing I have no reason do disbelieve of a jam going on till daylight because I saw the "Dead", the Airplane, and a few other bands do just that.

vinnie c
Thanks, Vinnie - I have no doubt at all that some of these shows lasted late into the night or early morning, and it's quite possible that Fleetwood Mac may have played a very long show there...whether or not they played a single four-hour jam.

But you've also pointed out another reason to be skeptical of Clifford Davis' account of that show as written in Bob Brunning's book. Davis claimed that Bill Graham told him to get the band offstage just after midnight. Does that make any sense at all? After all, the Fillmore was Graham's own venue - why would he want the band off the stage if they wanted to continue and so did the audience? And according to Davis, he convinced Graham to let the show go on. If that scenario had indeed happened, can you imagine Davis - or any band manager for that matter - succeeding in telling Bill Graham what to do in his own venue? Sounds like a tall tale to me.

Again, that doesn't mean a four-hour jam didn't happen...but it casts a good deal of doubt upon the source of the story. I guess I will remain skeptical until I see another independent source on this event taking place.