User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I don’t follow you on social media, however, it’s funny that you defend him not having “recorded a BuckVie tour and Anthology tour, both with tons of rarities and new songs, screen them in theaters and put them on tv, then process to sell online” because that would have been a “regurgitation or stuff already done few years ago“ .
i don't defend that -i just drew a parallel to your talking about another FM member recording and releasing their old show from 3 years ago which you brought up and defended as somehow superior thing to an actual live show or new music.

sure i would have loved to have proper live recordings of BuckVie and solo anthology shows. they were amazing, with tons of new and previously never performed songs and you know that well. but i would never "defend" that as somehow forward and creative and great thing to do. and they should be actually live, not overdubbed.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-06-2020, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't defend that -i just drew a parallel to your talking about another FM member recording and releasing their old show from 3 years ago which you brought up and defended as somehow superior thing to an actual live show or new music.
I wasn’t defending anything, just slapping back a little. Stevie has a well planned and executed solo career and Lindsey doesn’t, and this probably best exemplifies that. What better way to show where they’re at in their respective careers? Both did Buckingham Nicks and Fleetwood Mac songs, but were a world apart.

Quote:
and they should be actually live, not overdubbed.
I agree, although with all the prerecords, does it especially matter?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2020, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If you can explain the practical difference, I’d love to know. Either way, it’s a 100% live show that people pay to stream and is shown at a specific time. Would it have been different in any meaningful way to most people? Would it have changed anyone’s perception of Lindsey as an artist? It certainly would have been better than watching Lindsey brooding or fans being upset because of technical difficulties.

Lindsey wasn’t brooding, unless you count 3 seconds of time mentioning the glitch as brooding.

If you do, If you consider that brooding, I would be very interested as to how you would describe Heathcliff.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:57 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTKYvapgMDs

This warms my heart in very Warm Ways. I wish we had BuckVie DVD with extras.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I wasn’t defending anything, just slapping back a little. Stevie has a well planned and executed solo career and Lindsey doesn’t
Oh definitely, Lindsey doesn’t have a business bone in his body. He’s a musician first and foremost. Art and business don’t always or even often go together in the same person. Would someone with a business sense and goals do all the work on other peoples songs or co-produce some of the buggest albums ever and never ask for co- writing or co/ producing credit? Stevie changed a single word in someone else’s song and took full co-writing credit. He lost tons of money and credit by not having his name on co- writes he did or not being credited as co- producer on albums like Rumours.

They have different goals in life - she was clear from early on she wants to be a star. She achieved that and is now a self-centered star who has been carefully grooming her persona. He wanted to be a musician and he’s been very clear that he fully understands how lucky he was to be able to make such great living of doing what he loves.

Definitely very different people with different goals in life, who happen to be in a toxic personal relationship and messed up business relationship over the years.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-07-2020, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Lindsey wasn’t brooding, unless you count 3 seconds of time mentioning the glitch as brooding.

If you do, If you consider that brooding, I would be very interested as to how you would describe Heathcliff.
lol yeah I had to laugh how someone posted that pic of him sitting and waiting with a caption that he must be so pi**ed and now everyone is going - oh look how pi**ed he was! ��

Frankly, I was happy to see that pic since we then all knew that theiy are aware on his end that the stream got interrupted so they will fix it and continue on.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTKYvapgMDs

This warms my heart in very Warm Ways. I wish we had BuckVie DVD with extras.
Yup, would have been great! It was such a warm fun rocking tour!

Old 12-07-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Yup, would have been great! It was such a warm fun rocking tour!
She sounds amazing on this one.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

No, I want him to actually be what he purports to be, you know, like Richard Thompson. Lindsey talks about pushing artistic boundaries and then does a setlist like that. I mean, what better opportunity to debut a new song off his forthcoming album? He has six solo albums, seven Fleetwood Mac albums, and songs from soundtracks, surely there’s a deeper cut than “Stephanie”. (BTW, while I realize he did that on OMS, it’s still weird that Stevie recently released a live version of “Crying In The Night” and he opted to do “Stephanie.”)

Dude, your adoration for Richard Thompson is getting a bit boring now...and kind of odd too. You sure you're on the right board?

...Richard Thompson blah blah blah...

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
$15, LOL.
????
Wow, are you taking the p!ss at the fact he's charged $15?
The guy has done a live show for his fans and charged a tokenistic $15 sum.
I hardly think he's doing this show to make money.
Rather than laugh out loud, it should be well done, good on him!

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-07-2020, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Dude, your adoration for Richard Thompson is getting a bit boring now...and kind of odd too. You sure you're on the right board?

...Richard Thompson blah blah blah...
At least he lives by the mantra he purports.

Oddly enough, I kept seeing him mentioned in the same breath as Lindsey in guitar rags, which is how I hooked on him. Once I saw what he was actually doing, Lindsey’s rhetoric about art and expanding boundaries seemed like a bunch of hot air.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-07-2020, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Apples and oranges.

Stevie, who presents herself as a pre-eminent songwriter, produces a film of a series of shows on a tour in which she sings material that averages somewhere around 30 years old (with songs written within a range of the last 50-15 years). Sure, the packaging is new -- a new film that is distributed over a variety of platforms -- and *maybe* some of the chatter accompanying each song in the film is new (and maybe not so much) with the result that she is heralded as doing something new and innovative. In reality, while the merching may be new, the content is not. It is a re-packaging of the same old. However, her goal is and always has been unabashedly to make money. She likely is succeeding (I haven't seen sales figures or revenue figures for her film but figure plenty of fans are buying). An additional goal is to be seen as still relevant, and that includes releasing a new product to sell (and singing backup with younger artists) As per above, she indeed has a new product (film) but on closer inspection the content isn't new at all.

Lindsey is recovered from a near-fatal medical event, one that put him in the ICU and treatment of which damaged his vocal cords, potentially permanently. Having come out the other side of that, his goal is to let the world know by letting them see him performing live and unedited that he has fully recovered not just medically but also functionally, i.e. that he can still sing and play and perform for an audience as well as ever. He, like Stevie, would like to make money. He, like Stevie, has new product to put out. Unlike Stevie, his new product will be made of new content because, rather than *tell* people how prolific he is and making them take his word for it, he actually creates new content (in the form of a forthcoming new album). While he achieved his goal of showing the world that he is back and in fine form, his noted lack of acute business sense led him to not include any of that new content *now*, in his live stream. This was a real mistake and a reflection of his continuing lack of appreciation of how the market works. We know the album is done, why make us take your word for it, why not actually play something from it?

Comparing her large, year-plus-in-the-making, highly-produced and overdubbed glossy film to his at-home, direct-interaction-with-fans, off-the-cuff livestream is apples and oranges. Her primary goal was making bucks and reminding everyone how legendary a songwriter she *was*, his primary goal was to show the world he's alive and well and better than ever, and to whet fans' appetite for new material that will show what a great songwriter he *still is*. Which he should have done by playing one of those new songs NOW rather than making us take his word for it a la Stevie. This kind of misstep is where we see his lack of a "big machine" PR team behind him. Critique his PR savvy, sure, but don't conflate his goals with hers.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 12-07-2020 at 05:30 PM..
Old 12-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Apples and oranges.

Stevie, who presents herself as a pre-eminent songwriter, produces a film of a series of shows on a tour in which she sings material that averages somewhere around 30 years old (with songs written within a range of the last 50-15 years). Sure, the packaging is new -- a new film that is distributed over a variety of platforms -- and *maybe* some of the chatter accompanying each song in the film is new (and maybe not so much) with the result that she is heralded as doing something new and innovative. In reality, while the merching may be new, the content is not. It is a re-packaging of the same old. However, her goal is and always has been unabashedly to make money. She likely is succeeding (I haven't seen sales figures or revenue figures for her film but figure plenty of fans are buying). An additional goal is to be seen as still relevant, and that includes releasing a new product to sell (and singing backup with younger artists) As per above, she indeed has a new product (film) but on closer inspection the content isn't new at all.

Lindsey is recovered from a near-fatal medical event, one that put him in the ICU and treatment of which damaged his vocal cords, potentially permanently. Having come out the other side of that, his goal is to let the world know by letting them see him performing live and unedited that he has fully recovered not just medically but also functionally, i.e. that he can still sing and play and perform for an audience as well as ever. He, like Stevie, would like to make money. He, like Stevie, has new product to put out. Unlike Stevie, his new product will be made of new content because, rather than *tell* people how prolific he is and making them take his word for it, he actually creates new content (in the form of a forthcoming new album). While he achieved his goal of showing the world that he is back and in fine form, his noted lack of acute business sense led him to not include any of that new content *now*, in his live stream. This was a real mistake and a reflection of his continuing lack of appreciation of how the market works. We know the album is done, why make us take your word for it, why not actually play something from it?

Comparing her large, year-plus-in-the-making, highly-produced and overdubbed glossy film to his at-home, direct-interaction-with-fans, off-the-cuff livestream is apples and oranges. Her primary goal was making bucks and reminding everyone how legendary a songwriter she *was*, his primary goal was to show the world he's alive and well and better than ever, and to whet fans' appetite for new material that will show what a great songwriter he *still is*. Which he should have done by playing one of those new songs NOW rather than making us take his word for it a la Stevie. This kind of misstep is where we see his lack of a "big machine" PR team behind him. Critique his PR savvy, sure, but don't conflate his goals with hers.
Doesn't his wife act as his business guide? She was sure in a foul-mouthed funk when he got fired and she lost the crack at some millions.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Doesn't his wife act as his business guide? She was sure in a foul-mouthed funk when he got fired and she lost the crack at some millions.
wow. and there's that sad negativity again. assuming the worst about people. implying that his wife doesn't love him, and that she must be just a gold-digger with him for his money. this sadly seems to be news to you but when your loved one is in pain you stand by them and defend them just as she and their kids did.

how misogynistic of you.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
wow. and there's that sad negativity again. assuming the worst about people.

THE Stephen Hopkins