User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2020, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Does it really matter? ItÂ’s semantics, which this board painfully pisses over. Who gives a crap?

Quote:
I could see it being MickÂ’s idea, I could see it being IrvingÂ’s idea, and I could see it being StevieÂ’s idea. Again, who cares?

Quote:
Again, pissing over semantics.
With respect, this is a message board. So does anything on this message board really matter other than a serious discussion of a social issue in Chit Chat?

I think people come here to escape problems in their real life like illness, homelessness, adultery, etc. We're not in a college course so shouldn't people be able to have a free exchange of ideas without being met with belittling questions like "Who cares?"

What should the answer to "Who cares?" be: "You don't so I won't post like that anymore. Sorry!"?
Old 12-03-2020, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
With respect, this is a message board. So does anything on this message board really matter other than a serious discussion of a social issue in Chit Chat?
No. And, I’ve been the one stating that it’s just a rock band. The amount of vitriol expressed about Lindsey’s firing is really out of proportion around here. It seems to trickle into every thread, even one completely unrelated (i.e. RIP Spencer Davis).

Quote:
I think people come here to escape problems in their real life like illness, homelessness, adultery, etc.
So, putting MORE negativity out in the ether helps? How does being dramatic and negative about absolute minutiae help escape problems?

Quote:
We're not in a college course so shouldn't people be able to have a free exchange of ideas without being met with belittling questions like "Who cares?"

What should the answer to "Who cares?" be: "You don't so I won't post like that anymore. Sorry!"?
Well, “who cares” is generally considered a rhetorical question, so there’s that.

In the context of this discussion, Lindsey was out of the band, they needed a guitarist, Mick called Mike, and they didn’t know each other prior to that call, aside from each having a working relationship with Stevie Nicks. Those are the basic facts that wouldn’t change regardless of how it was presented.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-04-2020, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
So, putting MORE negativity out in the ether helps? How does being dramatic and negative about absolute minutiae help escape problems?

Well, “who cares” is generally considered a rhetorical question, so there’s that.
yes, because nothing screams positivity as much as telling people that nobody else cares about the issue they care / are upset about. it is so healing and not negative at all when someone tells them their opinions are unimportant, they are being overdramatic, and they should shut up and stop talking about them.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-04-2020, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In the context of this discussion, Lindsey was out of the band, they needed a guitarist, Mick called Mike, and they didn’t know each other prior to that call, aside from each having a working relationship with Stevie Nicks. Those are the basic facts that wouldn’t change regardless of how it was presented.
I think most people on here are well aware of these facts; they are also aware of the interactions that happened behind those facts. An additional fact, the one that seems to be the greatest driver of much of the 'vitriol', is the band members opted to present a highly manipulated story about what led up to Lindsey's departure, seemingly based on the idea that their fan base was comprised of total idiots who would swallow whatever they were selling without any critical analysis as to whether the story made sense or not. Their fans aren't Taylor Swift fans or Harry Styles fans.... FM longtime fans are a bit older, a bit wiser, and have memories not clouded by long nets of white. So a lot of the anger comes from the insulting fact that this group of people in whom so many of us have invested large amounts of energy, emotion, and yes, cold hard cash that contributes to their ability to afford presidential suites and private jets, essentially looked us all in the face and lied, believing we were too dumb notice.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I think most people on here are well aware of these facts; they are also aware of the interactions that happened behind those facts. An additional fact, the one that seems to be the greatest driver of much of the 'vitriol', is the band members opted to present a highly manipulated story about what led up to Lindsey's departure, seemingly based on the idea that their fan base was comprised of total idiots who would swallow whatever they were selling without any critical analysis as to whether the story made sense or not. Their fans aren't Taylor Swift fans or Harry Styles fans.... FM longtime fans are a bit older, a bit wiser, and have memories not clouded by long nets of white. So a lot of the anger comes from the insulting fact that this group of people in whom so many of us have invested large amounts of energy, emotion, and yes, cold hard cash that contributes to their ability to afford presidential suites and private jets, essentially looked us all in the face and lied, believing we were too dumb notice.
Perfect. Just perfect! Bravo!
Old 12-04-2020, 09:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No. And, I’ve been the one stating that it’s just a rock band. The amount of vitriol expressed about Lindsey’s firing is really out of proportion around here. It seems to trickle into every thread, even one completely unrelated (i.e. RIP Spencer Davis).

I love you. There, I said it.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I love you. There, I said it.
You two could open an I Hate Lindsey Buckingham shrine.

And sell two tickets.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you a licensed counselor or therapist? How can you respectfully suggest that escapism is uniform?
Discussing Lindsey being fired is the same as people watching The Bachelor or "Real Housewives of New Jersey". They call their friends and discuss the show, they chat about how they can't believe The Bachelor met a lady in the Fantasy Suite or how they'll never forgive Teresa for what she did to Danielle.
The Ledge is the place for people to talk about their band or their artist. They shouldn't be bullied with condescending questions or a disrespectful prescription of Prozac.

Quote:
May you always have the last word. G-d bless you!

Last edited by UnwindedDreams; 12-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 12-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are you a licensed counselor or therapist?
Licensed Social Worker, thanks for asking.

Quote:
How can you respectfully suggest that escapism is uniform?
You’re the one who brought it up, not me. I was simply giving my thoughts to your red herring.

Quote:
They shouldn't be bullied with condescending questions or a disrespectful prescription of Prozac.
I wasn’t bullying and certainly didn’t recommend someone get on medications, (although I would suspect someone, not Macfan4life, needs a chill pill of some type).

It was a legitimate point.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-05-2020, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Licensed Social Worker, thanks for asking.

You’re the one who brought it up, not me. I was simply giving my thoughts to your red herring.

I wasn’t bullying and certainly didn’t recommend someone get on medications, (although I would suspect someone, not Macfan4life, needs a chill pill of some type).

It was a legitimate point.
You could be one of the most arrogant persons online. Total "better-than-thou" as if you were chosen on Mount Sinai.
I don't think Biden would be proud to have your vote.

I thought social workers were caring and open to people's thoughts; not destructive.

You posted a photo of Prozac not long ago in response to someone on The Ledge. That's really disrespectful and not something to joke about.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You could be one of the most arrogant persons online. Total "better-than-thou" as if you were chosen on Mount Sinai.
I don't think Biden would be proud to have your vote.

I thought social workers were caring and open to people's thoughts; not destructive.

You posted a photo of Prozac not long ago in response to someone on The Ledge. That's really disrespectful and not something to joke about.
You’re obviously working through your own personal issues through this board, which is not our responsibility. My profession and political leanings are hardly relevant to a Fleetwood Mac discussion board. This is a discussion board and I was critiquing the point, not the person.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-05-2020, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
An additional fact, the one that seems to be the greatest driver of much of the 'vitriol', is the band members opted to present a highly manipulated story about what led up to Lindsey's departure,
I guess I’ve considered Stevie to be such an unreliable source of information for decades that I took what she said with a pound of salt, as I always do. I guess I assumed most people around here were of the same mindset. However, Mick’s accounting of what happened isn’t drastically different from what Brett said.

The story they presented seemed to have been a filtered (i.e. by legal) version of what really happened, because they knew they were going to get sued (because what classic rock band ever fired a guy without getting sued??). I only fault them for saying anything in the first place, but Fleetwood Mac is gonna Fleetwood Mac. They’re not the band that would simply say “it was an internal decision and we don’t discuss internal matters,” are they?

Quote:
So a lot of the anger comes from the insulting fact that this group of people in whom so many of us have invested large amounts of energy, emotion, and yes, cold hard cash that contributes to their ability to afford presidential suites and private jets, essentially looked us all in the face and lied, believing we were too dumb notice.
Funny, I just bought their music because I liked their music. I certainly don’t feel owed an explanation. Fleetwood Mac was always the biggest sh*tshow in rock. You weren’t seriously expecting a neat and tidy happy ending?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-06-2020, 01:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, you're entitled to buy or not buy a band's music for whatever reasons you like.

You're also entitled to believe/not believe or care/not care what they say or do offstage.

You're further entitled to think others who have differing opinions to you are silly, whiners, or whatever.

And you are absolutely entitled to bugger off if you find the commentary on a chat board to be not of your approved flavor.

What you aren't entitled to is to expect other posters to stop posting comments because you don't like them. And if you've got bigger, better fish to fry, by all means, go fry 'em.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 12-06-2020 at 01:02 AM..
Old 12-06-2020, 01:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hey, you're entitled to buy or not buy a band's music for whatever reasons you like.

You're also entitled to believe/not believe or care/not care what they say or do offstage.

You're further entitled to think others who have differing opinions to you are silly, whiners, or whatever.

And you are absolutely entitled to bugger off if you find the commentary on a chat board to be not of your approved flavor.

What you aren't entitled to is to expect other posters to stop posting comments because you don't like them. And if you've got bigger, better fish to fry, by all means, go fry 'em.
Thank you.

THANK YOU.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

And you are entitled to call out stuff that is wrong, obsessive, abusive, toxic, or unhinged.