Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-07-2020, 02:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Approaches to LB's lead guitar parts

This topic cuts across a couple Ledge boards, but I figure it's most relevant here nowadays. Any number of articles or comments talk about LB being replaced by two guitarists...twice. I'm curious about how someone with more musical expertise than me (meaning, any expertise at all) would describe Rick's, Dave's, and Mike's approach to LB's lead parts -- how much of their own styles they seem to incorporate, whether there's a notable difference in the guitars they use, how they work with the rhythm guitarists, etc. I'm not looking to say one is better than the other, mind you...just a better understanding of their technique/philosophy/influences. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There are a lot of lead guitarists who don't like to focus on singing. I've especially noticed among YOUNG ones, that many don't sing at all(I believe when they're a monster guitar player, they want to focus strictly on their playing - and it is hard to play some really difficult licks while you're singing). That said, I have noticed that later in life, they finally start singing.

This whole "it takes two guys to replace Lindsey thing" is just hype. If they found the right guy, they wouldn't need two. But of course, these days, Christine barely plays anything, so they really benefit now from having two guitarists.

Then again, they're playing with tracks now, so who knows, they could probably pull it off with a hologram.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This whole "it takes two guys to replace Lindsey thing" is just hype.
I agree with David. From 1987 to last year, the two guitarist thing was just a slogan, empty of actual meaning. Neither Rick nor Billy nor Dave (Mason) nor Mike was specifically hired to robotically duplicate Lindsey either as guitarist or as a singer. They were all hired to play guitar and sing. That involved learning the Fleetwood catalogue and trying to play the recognizable parts recognizably, but not slavishly parroting every single subtle lick on the original OR using the same gear. I think all these guitarists were encouraged to be themselves — but to recognize that they were now part of a hugely popular band with a massive audience.

In songs like The Chain or World Turning, played live in 1987, Rick didn’t duplicate Lindsey’s Travis style at all. He just played the songs his way. Guy had his own style and he used it in Fleetwood Mac, but he still respected the audience enough to deliver the overall song. (I mean, he didn’t start remodulating Go Your Own Way or adding sitar or slap bass to it.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
There are a lot of lead guitarists who don't like to focus on singing. I've especially noticed among YOUNG ones, that many don't sing at all(I believe when they're a monster guitar player, they want to focus strictly on their playing - and it is hard to play some really difficult licks while you're singing). That said, I have noticed that later in life, they finally start singing.
I have almost zero formal music training, but I remember asking my sister-in-law a question about Geddy Lee playing bass and singing...."how does he do both?" Mainly because I feel bass doesn't always follow the melody as much as lead guitar does. She's a classically trained singer, Master's in Music, etc., etc. She told me that any musician can do both if one of the things can be done without thought. So it would make sense that YOUNG musicians haven't mastered the skill of playing guitar without thinking about it. And once they master the guitar, they are able to do both. But what do I know!!!!

Anyways, I always marvel at people like Neil Young who can play guitar, sing, and add in a harmonica. Amazing how the brain can work.
Old 01-08-2020, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I have almost zero formal music training, but I remember asking my sister-in-law a question about Geddy Lee playing bass and singing...."how does he do both?" Mainly because I feel bass doesn't always follow the melody as much as lead guitar does. She's a classically trained singer, Master's in Music, etc., etc. She told me that any musician can do both if one of the things can be done without thought. So it would make sense that YOUNG musicians haven't mastered the skill of playing guitar without thinking about it. And once they master the guitar, they are able to do both. But what do I know!!!!

Anyways, I always marvel at people like Neil Young who can play guitar, sing, and add in a harmonica. Amazing how the brain can work.
IMO, playing bass and singing is definitely more difficult to do than playing guitar and singing(although it actually depends on the difficulty of the bass part vs the singing part).
Old 01-08-2020, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
IMO, playing bass and singing is definitely more difficult to do than playing guitar and singing(although it actually depends on the difficulty of the bass part vs the singing part).
That makes sense.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree with David. From 1987 to last year, the two guitarist thing was just a slogan, empty of actual meaning. Neither Rick nor Billy nor Dave (Mason) nor Mike was specifically hired to robotically duplicate Lindsey either as guitarist or as a singer. [B]They were all hired to play guitar and sing. That involved learning the Fleetwood catalogue and trying to play the recognizable parts recognizably, but not slavishly parroting every single subtle lick on the original OR using the same gear. I think all these guitarists were encouraged to be themselves — but to recognize that they were now part of a hugely popular band with a massive audience
yes! to have a single guitarist replace LB, they would need someone like Keith Urban who can both play a great guitar and sing well - and be able to improvise in the spirit of actual songs. so yeah, there are definitely a few people like that out there, just last year's hires were not it. Campbell may be a great guitarist and hugely successful songwriter but his guitar style is nothing like Lindsey's and that showed in a few clips i've seen, he was just not in the spirit of those FM songs even though he tried. we knew in February 2018 he was gonna join FM as LB's replacement, supposedly both as guitarist and singer, but they must have quickly figured out that's not gonna work out and started looking for another guitarist but mainly for a singer.

if you watch Urban playing SHN at Musicares, but even more at Nashville NYE where it was more spontaneous and loose, not only can he play the guitar and sing the song well, but even when he's improvising his guitar playing is in the spirit of Lindsey's song and playing. even with repeating the "I ain't gonna miss you when you go" verse and the chorus and adding a whole new guitar solo in between, it was still completely in the LB spirit of playing.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-11-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Geddy Lee is a monster f****ing musician.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Geddy Lee is a monster f****ing musician.
He truly is.

I wonder if Rush will continue, now that Neil Peart has passed?

They didn't get the respect they deserved, but they were truly an amazing power trio.