Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Prerecords

Some interesting quotes from Taku shed some light on one thing that drove me crazy about Lindsey and was likely a factor in his firing.

Quote:
Many thanks to Fleetwood Mac for welcoming me back... and especially to Ms. Stevie Nicks. Back in 2000, I subbed on one corporate show for her during a tour break from Lionel Richie. Fast forward 3 years later, she remembered me and came to a Lionel Richie private show in Maui, bringing along Mick Fleetwood. Little did I know that she recommended me to Mick, and he and I meeting and talking drums backstage was the first step of my audition. 2 months later I got the call for the "Say You Will" world tour, which took me around the world for 18 months with Fleetwood Mac. I then went onto tour with Stevie as well over the years... Then last year, after a 14-year break from Fleetwood Mac (no percussion on their tours since '04), Stevie approached me at an event and said she was going to talk to Mick about having me back with the band, and to get rid of all prerecords for the next tour... and here I am, after 16 months of yet another epic tour, drumming alomgside the incomparable Mick Fleetwood. So much gratitude in my heart for yet another amazing experience.
Quote:
Steven Hibbard They used prerecord tracks in the past few tours. Lindsey had extra guitar parts, vocals and rhythm parts sampled and performed along with the band, which undoubtedly boxed in the arrangements, tempos etc. I don't think they were very popular internally... It was not only an honor to play again with such an iconic band, but also to know that what the audience heard was all being performed live and emanating from onstage. Mick's drum tech traditionally played extra tom tom parts (since those parts were recorded as overdubs), but between 2004 and 2018, he also played minor percussion parts from the albums (shaker, tambourine, etc). I ended up playing all the percussion parts again, as well as all of the tom tom parts... That is also why there has always been a side guitarist with the band, to coverall of those layered and overdubbed parts... whether that was an onstage sideman guitarist or a guitar tech playing from offstage in the post-Rumours years.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-24-2019, 03:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

what it shows to me is how the inner workings of the band have been going -- Stevie deciding what she wants /what she thinks the band should do, telling Mick, and getting him to make it happen for her.

Her whole "I am NOT the boss of this band" is hilarious.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^^Only that her wish makes sense, every other member of the band was on board with it and it is the right thing to do for a band that works almost exclusively as a live band for decades. it also pleases the fans, who don't want to get cheated on with canned music.

Stevie probably just put into words what everyone was thinking.
Old 11-24-2019, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
what it shows to me is how the inner workings of the band have been going -- Stevie deciding what she wants /what she thinks the band should do, telling Mick, and getting him to make it happen for her.

Her whole "I am NOT the boss of this band" is hilarious.

Seriously…. how many times Lindsey has said to many of us during his M&G (including you and me) that "it was all Stevie"?

Next thing we know, Lori and Sharon were the reason Lindsey was fired….

I highly doubt Lindsey didn't want Taku on the band. Stevie herself said "she didn't want to be on the same stage with Lindsey anymore", hence she made Mick fired him. Were Taku fit in all this, I have no idea. But hey, it was fun!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

so now Lindsey was fired because he would not allow to get rid of pre-recorded tracks?? right..........

seriously though, the Taku story explains his loyalty to SN and his glowing praises to the band that toured last year in his social media posts. plus, it's not like Taku has not ditched Lindsey in the past, during UTS tour when he got better gig.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-24-2019, 11:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Seriously…. how many times Lindsey has said to many of us during his M&G (including you and me) that "it was all Stevie"?

Next thing we know, Lori and Sharon were the reason Lindsey was fired….
Yeah, it was specifically because Stevie wanted Taku on tour.

Quote:
I highly doubt Lindsey didn't want Taku on the band. Stevie herself said "she didn't want to be on the same stage with Lindsey anymore", hence she made Mick fired him. Were Taku fit in all this, I have no idea. But hey, it was fun!
If you read between the lines, like on a second grade level, it’s obvious that Lindsey’s insistence on prerecords was an issue within the band. Moreover, it suggests that the decision to oust Lindsey was made prior to MusiCares.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-24-2019, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Much as I have no use for what this band did to Lindsey, I have to admit I hate the prerecorded crap that had gotten well over the top in recent years. It was one of the main reasons I had no use in going to see Buckingham McVie also.

They lost any sense of spontaneity and things became way too programmed.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
If you read between the lines, like on a second grade level, it’s obvious that Lindsey’s insistence on prerecords was an issue within the band.
if you read the actual lines (while try not to be patronizing to others!), nowhere does it say lindsey *insisted* on the pre-records. yes, he used them, and yes sometimes it's annoying. but that he insisted? and to the point - either pre-records stay or he goes? p l e a s e.

sounds like Taku's info about that came from Stevie. and we know she's all about never trashing Lindsey.

and, how is now Lindsey's fault if Mick didn't want a percussionist over the years? Lindsey didn't really want backup singers in FM as far as we can tell, yet they were always there.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Much as I have no use for what this band did to Lindsey, I have to admit I hate the prerecorded crap that had gotten well over the top in recent years. It was one of the main reasons I had no use in going to see Buckingham McVie also.

They lost any sense of spontaneity and things became way too programmed.
you def missed out if you skipped BuckVie tour!

in Neil Finn fan groups, many said how Neil was so stifled and boring in Fleetwood Mac's pre-programmed non-spontaneous shows. how he felt tied down and how they hated seeing him like that and they couldn't wait for him to go back to being his free self.

that all said, i do think that old rich bands like Fleetwood Mac who are making millions and can more than afford it should use and pay live musicians if they cannot perform their music on their own anymore, and not having anything pre-programmed. so if they did this tour, i'm really glad. at least something positive!

Old 11-25-2019, 12:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The least talented people are in charge of the band.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
The least talented people are in charge of the band.
Well, that if you read between the lines. Like, on a first grade level.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 11-25-2019, 08:29 AM

If you read between the lines, it also says that Stevie controls Mick.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Somehow we choose not to read between those lines.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
No. MONEY controls Mick, and Stevie is the golden goose.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-25-2019, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just for fun, I'm going to say that the event Taku mentioned he was approached by SN at in 2018 was MusiCares Person of the Year event. He was on stage playing in the tribute performances before Fleetwood Mac did their mini-set. I think Don Was and Kenny Aronoff may've also been in the tribute performances band too.