Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Ledgie

Default Thoughts on the 2018/19 Tour?

Briefly
What I liked:
1. Seeing Fleetwood Mac again....possibly for the last time.
2. Deep cuts-Hypnotised, Black Magic Woman, Man of the World, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Hold Me and Isn't It Midnight.
3. Not having to hear Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Never Going Back again(slow version) and the speech that introduced Big Love.....
4. Mike's Guitar playing

What I didn't like:
1. Outdoor venues (in Europe)….this is an arena band
2. Dropping so many deep cuts from the set
3. Free Fallin' and the whole TP screen visuals …..has no place in a Fleetwood mac concert. It says it all when many raved about this song being the highlight of the show......sad!
4. Knowing what happened with LB...…

So there!
How was it for you?
Old 11-17-2019, 04:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a fan of all incarnations of the band. In fact, I became a fan by the Tango-video with Rick and Billy. Had nu clue who LB was .... yes, I got to know his work and he is fantastic. Then, I'm not a pathetic fan who blames the other band-members of what happened. They all have their temper and we don't know what really happened. Besides, at their age ... I respect every decision one makes. Life teach you to do what's good. Not the sentiment of so called fans.

So, I expected them not to come to Europe at first, so I booked a flight to NYC to see them in MSG (and Newark as well).

To me, they sounded great. Mike and Neil fitted in well. The setlist was a bit safe and could have had more gems from their back-catalogue. But, I enjoyed every minute. The finale encore with Stevie and Christine was just fantastic. Yes, their voices have aged, but I do not care ...

Saw them again eventually in Belgium. Yes, big outdoor-festivals. I guess that didn't want to do a long arena-run in Europe as well. But this was ok (since I was on front-row).

I'm glad I saw this line-up three times. Yes, LB was a missing link. But I do not have any hard feelings.

Next Stop: the Peter Green tribute in Londen ...
Old 11-17-2019, 05:25 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillamene View Post
Briefly
What I liked:
1. Seeing Fleetwood Mac again....possibly for the last time.
2. Deep cuts-Hypnotised, Black Magic Woman, Man of the World, Tell Me All the Things You Do, Hold Me and Isn't It Midnight.
3. Not having to hear Big Love, I'm So Afraid, Never Going Back again(slow version) and the speech that introduced Big Love.....
4. Mike's Guitar playing

What I didn't like:
1. Outdoor venues (in Europe)Â….this is an arena band
2. Dropping so many deep cuts from the set
3. Free Fallin' and the whole TP screen visuals Â…..has no place in a Fleetwood mac concert. It says it all when many raved about this song being the highlight of the show......sad!
4. Knowing what happened with LB...Â…

So there!
How was it for you?

What I like:

-All Over Again song what a really great surprise!!!!With Free Falli'/Hypnotized/Storms/Man of the world/Tell me songs are the best things from this tour
-Finally no Stand Back in Mac setlist

What I dislike:

-Boring Boring setlists always the same songs...I hoped in new Line-up they've more fantasy or courage to take new ways....nothing ALL ALWAYS THE SAME.
-Too many words around new line-up I'm no happy about the decision to take out Lindsey but they are 5 old unwise persons and we can do nothing if they are so stupids.
During 1987/1994 line-up no many bad comments like in these last two years....these are the Fleetwood Mac like or no are these.The only interested for me is the music nothing else,I prefer Rumour line-up but is from 2003 they sang always the same songs and most of the fans want they sing the same songs UNFORTUNALY.

I continue to love the Fleetwood Mac always but I think are at the end of street....unfortunaly....
Old 11-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I liked the show I went to, which was sold out and full of enthusiastic fans. Some shakeups in the setlist were good, but at my show we did not get All Over Again, which I had been waiting for. The new guys were great and everybody loved Finn's two songs from his back catalogue. Stevie was her usual self, the voice stays the same. The most positive thing was the on-stage mood, they all seemed happy and working as a team. All in all, I would see them again and give any new music from this group a chance.
Old 11-17-2019, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Hahah my thoughts on this tour:

What happened to the amazing set lists that they were going to do? Now that Lindsey is gone they would be free at last to do the amazing set lists they were never allowed to do!!!

Oh and all of the new music that was going to be created together now that they were a new band! Everyone would be happy to create new music together....haha more BS straight out of Mick’s mouth.

LOL I guess all I can do is chuckle to think so many people were willing to buy into their “new band” defense when in reality not much really changed beyond a Tom Petty cover and the usual dose of bitterness. They got rid of “the big bad wolf” and they still have no interest in being a band beyond a greatest hits jukebox.

But hey they knocked themselves out with ANOTHER greatest hits box set AND another re-release of Rumours!! There’s that new music for ya!!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I did not see this tour so take my comments with a grain of salt. I never bought into the "new" members as being a new band or anything permanent. This BIG tour was talked about for years and had to go on for everyone to make 10 million. I was very impressed when the set list was released and songs like Hypnotized and Isn't it Midnight were in the set. But they did not last very long and the band quickly went back into their "safe zone."
I did not care for the "don't dream its over" sing alongs and Stevie needing to sing the song so fans would not run for the bathroom. I think the Tom Petty tribute was a bit overboard. Just playing a Petty song is quite the tribute. It sort of turned into a Stevie solo concert at that point very similar to what she did for Prince during her 24K Gold shows.
I am glad Lindsey got paid even for not having to play one note. The entire Lindsey termination really soured me on the band. To be honest if one of their songs come on the radio, I turn the channel. I will listen to Go Your Own Way though.
Now the tour is over, they must all look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if it was really worth it. Believe it or not, these people are so shallow that I would not be surprised to see Lindsey back with the band at some point. Maybe not a world tour but playing in some way. And yes (pass the vomit bag please) a Lindsey/Stevie Landslide sing along with those "genuine" hugs and kisses at the end. As for the "new" guys, they made a ton of money and will go back to what they like. As much as Lindsey was disrespected, lets NOT forget Rick and Billy. They truly are the "Johnny Bravo's" of Fleetwood Mac at least until the new ones showed up They fit the suit until they were no longer needed anymore.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-17-2019 at 01:21 PM..
Old 11-17-2019, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The highlight for me was Stevie singing Black Magic Woman, which was unexpectedly great. But overall I was disappointed by the same old setlist. I brought a friend who is only a casual fan and they seemed bored the whole time. LB brought a lot of energy and without him everyone seemed on autopilot.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I did not see this tour so take my comments with a grain of salt. I never bought into the "new" members as being a new band or anything permanent. This BIG tour was talked about for years and had to go on for everyone to make 10 million. I was very impressed when the set list was released and songs like Hypnotized and Isn't it Midnight were in the set. But they did not last very long and the band quickly went back into their "safe zone."
I did not care for the "don't dream its over" sing alongs and Stevie needing to sing the song so fans would not run for the bathroom. I think the Tom Petty tribute was a bit overboard. Just playing a Petty song is quite the tribute. It sort of turned into a Stevie solo concert at that point very similar to what she did for Prince during her 24K Gold shows.
I am glad Lindsey got paid even for not having to play one note. The entire Lindsey termination really soured me on the band. To be honest if one of their songs come on the radio, I turn the channel. I will listen to Go Your Own Way though.
Now the tour is over, they must all look at themselves in the mirror and ask themselves if it was really worth it. Believe it or not, these people are so shallow that I would not be surprised to see Lindsey back with the band at some point. Maybe not a world tour but playing in some way. And yes (pass the vomit bag please) a Lindsey/Stevie Landslide sing along with those "genuine" hugs and kisses at the end. As for the "new" guys, they made a ton of money and will go back to what they like. As much as Lindsey was disrespected, lets NOT forget Rick and Billy. They truly are the "Johnny Bravo's" of Fleetwood Mac at least until the new ones showed up They fit the suit until they were no longer needed anymore.
Agree about Rick and Billy! They really 'saved ' the band back in '87- '90......and they were responsible for THREE blues era songs which came into the set - and remained there!
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What I Like:

1. Opening Night Setlist was phenomenal and absolutely lived up to the band’s hype. **** see #2 in dislikes
2. Black Magic Woman is maybe the single best full band live performance from this century. Stevie does an incredible job, but the star of the song and probably the whole show is Christines piano solo.
3. Free Falling
4. All Over Again Done How it was was the perfect show closer
5. Lindsey’s Solo Show!!!! I know the runour (straight from Lindsey)was he was going to tour solo in-between shows but there’s no way he could’ve put as much into his shows and definitely wouldn’t have had as many dates if he was on the Fleetwood Mac tour. And it was by far his best solo tour in my opinion. So I consider his solo shows a huge PRO for this topic.
6. It’s Over!!!!! Above all else right now, the biggest pro is it’s finally over and not continuing into 2020. I stand by the idea of this tour and line up having a lot of promise. The execution just wasn’t there for the most part.

What I don’t like:

1. The setlist beyond the first few shows was still above average. By the end of the US tour I would say it was below average and by the time they hit Europe and dropped TMATTYD and All Over Again it was the biggest 180 in the band’s touring careers and went from phenomenal opening night to probably their most pathetic excuse for a set list to date!
2. *****Go Your Own Way. The one blip in the original set list was the fact that they left Go your own way as the set closer. This was mind boggling stupid and lazy. What a let down after Gold Dust Woman to end the show with this anemic version of Go Your Own Way. For the record I don’t think GYOW has even been a great closer with Lindsey personally but I can at least understand why it’s the closer when he’s there. Second Hand News is equally lousy but it’s not
masquerading as the grand finale of the show!
3. The lack of any change up in arrangements with even one of the hits.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 11-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
What I Like:

1. Opening Night Setlist was phenomenal and absolutely lived up to the band’s hype. **** see #2 in dislikes
2. Black Magic Woman is maybe the single best full band live performance from this century. Stevie does an incredible job, but the star of the song and probably the whole show is Christines piano solo.
3. Free Falling
4. All Over Again Done How it was was the perfect show closer
5. Lindsey’s Solo Show!!!! I know the runour (straight from Lindsey)was he was going to tour solo in-between shows but there’s no way he could’ve put as much into his shows and definitely wouldn’t have had as many dates if he was on the Fleetwood Mac tour. And it was by far his best solo tour in my opinion. So I consider his solo shows a huge PRO for this topic.
6. It’s Over!!!!! Above all else right now, the biggest pro is it’s finally over and not continuing into 2020. I stand by the idea of this tour and line up having a lot of promise. The execution just wasn’t there for the most part.

What I don’t like:

1. The setlist beyond the first few shows was still above average. By the end of the US tour I would say it was below average and by the time they hit Europe and dropped TMATTYD and All Over Again it was the biggest 180 in the band’s touring careers and went from phenomenal opening night to probably their most pathetic excuse for a set list to date!
2. *****Go Your Own Way. The one blip in the original set list was the fact that they left Go your own way as the set closer. This was mind boggling stupid and lazy. What a let down after Gold Dust Woman to end the show with this anemic version of Go Your Own Way. For the record I don’t think GYOW has even been a great closer with Lindsey personally but I can at least understand why it’s the closer when he’s there. Second Hand News is equally lousy but it’s not
masquerading as the grand finale of the show!
3. The lack of any change up in arrangements with even one of the hits.

The fact they still practically close the show with one of LBs songs just goes to show how imbedded he is in the backbone of this band. I, for one am hopeful the crackhead dance will now be retired, at least publicly. Stevie can perform it in her living room for Karen and Lily
Old 11-21-2019, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn’t see the tour in person, but the whole thing kinda reeked of impersonal mass-audience spectacle, even by Fleetwood Mac standards. I loved the fact that the band threw in some of those left-field songs, such as “Tell Me All the Things You Do,” “Hypnotized,” “Monday Morning,” and “All Over Again.” Apparently, some of them didn’t last long, but at least the band tried, and perhaps gave up on them too soon. (In a show filled with sing-alongs and hits, what is so bad about a few songs that slow things down a bit?) I saw a video of “Hypnotized” and I was really pleasantly surprised at how subdued, personal, and tuneful it sounded.

It’s always been my contention that I don’t care what the band actually plays, so long as it’s performed with emotion and commitment and New Wave-ish Talking Heads-ish style — that’s what I remember for decades afterward. I don’t remember the hundreds of recent times they’ve done “Dreams” or “Don’t Stop” with their onstage battalion of mercenaries and hardware. I remember the way the five of them used to attack “What Makes You Think You’re the One” with such dingaling ferocity and devilish charm, like in this performance from Alabama in August 1980. Of course, that Fleetwood Mac isn’t this Fleetwood Mac, today, I realize full well. But in light of that, it doesn’t matter what’s in the set if they’re just doing a Celine Dion show. Unless they’re tightly wound and about to blow, they’re nondescript.

Apart from “Hypnotized,” I think “Landslide” worked the best. Stevie gives that song more poignancy every year she sings it.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2019, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did not go to any of their shows but watched a lot of it on youtube so here's my reply fwiw.

What I liked:
NOTHING. I don't think they should have brought in MC & NF. If anything, Billy & Rick were a much better fit.

What I didn't like:
Lindsey not being there. The chain has been broken. He's got so much energy & passion, that was sorely missed.
Stevie's and Christine's vocals just hurt my ears (and my heart). They're too old.
The back up band is much bigger than the band so basically people went to see a back up band.
The crack head dance. The first time I saw it I thought she was having a stroke...

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 11-24-2019, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoyed it, but I saw it early on. The Louisville show was probably my favorite setlist ever. I thought Neil and Mike were great. I’m not saying it was the Mac at their best, but as mentioned earlier, those days ended sometime in 1980. That said, ditching the prerecords and at least showing a willingness to play the deeper cuts impressed me.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 11-24-2019, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually saw them.

What I liked:
1. The new guys did a great job.
2. Not so many excessive guitar solos.
3. The overall feeling of friendship and calm on stage.
4. That everyone was enjoying themselves, especially Stevie.
5. The blues songs they digged out. The highlight "Black Magic Woman".
6. That they did not use canned music.

What I didn't like:
1. I feel that Lindseys songs should not have been played. That was respectless and should have been beyond that band.
2. Who cares about Split Ends or whatever Neills band was called. Same for "Free Falling", it's a FM concert after all and they have enough good material on their own.
3. The people who did not even bother to see a show and still post their naturally pointless opinions in this thread. DUH!
Old 11-24-2019, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
I did not go to any of their shows but watched a lot of it on youtube so here's my reply fwiw.

What I liked:
NOTHING. I don't think they should have brought in MC & NF. If anything, Billy & Rick were a much better fit.

What I didn't like:
Lindsey not being there. The chain has been broken. He's got so much energy & passion, that was sorely missed.
Stevie's and Christine's vocals just hurt my ears (and my heart). They're too old.
The back up band is much bigger than the band so basically people went to see a back up band.
The crack head dance. The first time I saw it I thought she was having a stroke...
Maybe if you actually WENT to some of their shows, you'd have seen how happy, happy, happy Stevie is, now that she finally got rid of Lindsey. You also would have seen how calm everything is now that the monster is gone and how superior the quality of the show is with Campbell and Finn on the band, instead of that useless Buckingham.

Believe me, it's not the same to see a show on YouTube that actually being there. Stevie's smiles are wider. Way wider…..
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.