User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-28-2019, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
right? I mean in just the last month two more artists from the 1970s died-- Eddie Money (age 70) and Ric Ocasek (age 75).

The average age of the remaining Rumours4 is 73. (they range from Stevie 71- Chris 76)

Mike and Neil don't really count because they aren't fully committed to continuing on anyway; they are replacement players who can just be replaced again; and they have other careers that don't end if FM ends. The only one who can still have a real career (sell tickets) if FM ends is Stevie.

Maybe the Rumours 4 don't care-- maybe they see everyone else in the Rumours4 as replaceable until the last one standing. (Or until Stevie finally kicks.)

Stevie's perspective surely is, "I can tour no matter how many of them drop." (or until she decides to pull the plug, which really is only an option if she can't
physically get onstage anymore or doesn't like how she looks anymore. But then again, she'd probably be like post-stroke Bette Davis and go out anyway).

Mick can play his little restaurant if all the others drop until he drops as well, but even then he still will need someone to sing and play other instruments for people to come see him. (And will the restaurant alone support his spending addiction?)

John also needs others to play with, but one can imagine him being fine with hanging it up for good sometime soon.

Probably the same would be true for Christine (hanging it up) IF she hadn't already done that for 15 years in the English countryside. Now, if she wants to keep touring and working (as Mick says she does in the UK tv program) and if she doesn't want to be out front as a solo performer (as she herself says in same program) she's gonna have to either:

a. go along with whatever Stevie wants until either Stevie kicks the bucket or pulls the plug OR

b. play in Mick's restaurant and just substitute Maui for Kent.
I love the idea that John, Mick and Chris will be the house band at Fleetwood's on Front Street.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post

Tell me about the Mick Fleetwood phone call that started this new journey with Fleetwood Mac.

It was about four months after Tom had passed away and I have my own band (The Dirty Knobs) and I have a record coming out and I was planning on just addressing that, doing that full time. I didn’t really have any other plans. I was sitting in my backyard and my phone rang and I had met Mick once or twice at sessions or whatever but we weren’t like friends or anything. He said hi, how you doing, Lindsey has left the band … it’s what he told me, I didn’t know that he was asked to leave … so he says would you be interested in joining Fleetwood Mac? He said this is not coming from Stevie, it’s coming from me and I have been listening to your catalogue and this is not an audition, if you want it, we would love to have you. I said give me a day to think about it. I thought over the whole Lindsey aspect of it and thought, this is a good thing. So I called back and said yeah and it has been a wonderful experience. It’s the best rhythm section, longest lasting rhythm section of all time. No one else has lasted that long in rock ’n’ roll and they are beautiful. It’s a magical feel that they have and I get to play with them every night. What a joy for a guitar player! The songs are great and Stevie and I have a great history together. We’ve written songs, we get along. Of course we then bring Neil Finn in to help with the vocals and he’s just a charming dude, we get along great. Christine, John, they are just wonderful people and we have a blast every night. I know it is hard for them losing a member, I have lost a member. It’s sad but you have to carry on and I think we are doing a good job.

I have to say, the Mike-didn't-know narrative really surprises me. My theory had been all along that Stevie would never have kicked Lindsey out unless she had already secured her "Heartbreaker" replacement.

Lindsey's guitar skills can't be replaced with just any player (I'd argue he can't be replaced, period, but at any rate) - Stevie at least would realize she would need someone special, and in her mind, no one is more special than a Heartbreaker. It has always been her fantasy to be a Heartbreaker. So what would they have done if Mike had said no and her little fantasy hadn't worked out? Auditioned a bunch of guitarists? I suppose so, but it just seems like something Stevie would have been reluctant to do right before a huge tour.

I guess it was just really convenient and lucky that Mike didn't have any other commitments....

Last edited by sodascouts; 09-29-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Old 09-29-2019, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I have to say, the Mike-didn't-know narrative really surprises me. My theory had been all along that Stevie would never have kicked Lindsey out unless she had already secured her "Heartbreaker" replacement.

Lindsey's guitar skills can't be replaced with just any player (I'd argue he can't be replaced, period, but at any rate) - Stevie at least would realize she would need someone special, and in her mind, no one is more special than a Heartbreaker. It has always been her fantasy to be a Heartbreaker. So what would they have done if Mike had said no and her little fantasy hadn't worked out? Auditioned a bunch of guitarists? I suppose so, but it just seems like something Stevie would have been reluctant to do right before a huge tour.

I guess it was just really convenient and lucky that Mike didn't have any other commitments....

This is what I have always thought................how did Mike NOT know????
Old 09-29-2019, 10:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
This is what I have always thought................how did Mike NOT know????
I actually don't think he's as close to Stevie as Stevie thinks he is.
Old 09-30-2019, 07:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

re: "I actually don't think he's as close to Stevie as Stevie thinks he is."

Ding! I was wondering the same thing. The timing is certainly interesting.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh dear, there goes Mick being a bit disingenuous telling Mike that the offer was coming from him, not from Stevie. Ok, maybe technically that's actually true-- it was indeed Mick who picked up the phone and contacted Mike. But there's no way in hell the idea did not get put in Mick's head from Stevie, directly or indirectly (and I'm betting directly, but let's not forget they're managed by Azoff who would also have understood how well Stevie would respond to Mike and who could have planted the seed). At a very minimum when thinking who to approach Mick had to think about who would make Stevie happy since that was the reason he fired Lindsey. What would make Stevie happier than one of her fellow Heartbreakers, and one who wrote songs with her, and even toured with her for a bit doing her single FWIW? Even if the idea was magically all Mick's, there's no way he wouldn't have run it by HMQ before taking any action on it.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, the guy who brought in Danny Kirwan, Bob Weston, Lindsey Buckingham, Billy Burnette, Rick Vito, and Dave Mason wouldn’t have thought to bring someone like Mike Campbell in on his own. What does the former brother-in-law of George Harrison and Eric Clapton AND who founded Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, possibly know about guitarists?

Tom Petty died in October and tour negotiations hit a snag in November. Isn’t it possible that in that span of time Mick revisited the TPATH catalogue, connected with Mike’s playing, and suggested to Stevie that Mike was a way to move forward without Lindsey? He liked Mike’s playing, knew she’d go along with it, and knew the Petty connections would help make up the difference with Lindsey out in terms of ticket sales.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Yeah, the guy who brought in Danny Kirwan, Bob Weston, Lindsey Buckingham, Billy Burnette, Rick Vito, and Dave Mason wouldn’t have thought to bring someone like Mike Campbell in on his own. What does the former brother-in-law of George Harrison and Eric Clapton AND who founded Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green, possibly know about guitarists?

Tom Petty died in October and tour negotiations hit a snag in November. Isn’t it possible that in that span of time Mick revisited the TPATH catalogue, connected with Mike’s playing, and suggested to Stevie that Mike was a way to move forward without Lindsey? He liked Mike’s playing, knew she’d go along with it, and knew the Petty connections would help make up the difference with Lindsey out in terms of ticket sales.
sure, anything is possible.

But the idea that his goal first and foremost wasn't to keep his mealticket from leaving and that that drove his choice of guitarists is naive. Just my opinion.

We could always just ask Mick and see what he says.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Mike was not even auditioned. Stevie clearly told Mick what to do with firing Lindsey (if she was going to tour with them) and hire Mike without auditions.
Quote:
Yeah, the guy who brought in Danny Kirwan, Bob Weston, Lindsey Buckingham, Billy Burnette, Rick Vito, and Dave Mason wouldn’t have thought to bring someone like Mike Campbell in on his own.
Those guys didn't audition either to enter Fleetwood Mac, or so I read. I don't know if Stevie indicated Mick about hiring Mike, or not. Probably she did. But the no audition wouldn't be a clue.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
"Christine, John, they are just wonderful people and we have a blast every night. I know it is hard for them losing a member, I have lost a member. It’s sad but you have to carry on and I think we are doing a good job."

they say this stuff and you gotta wonder whether they are stupid or just so incredibly blasé and callous about stuff like other people's lives.

Christine and John didn't lose a band member like Mike did. they contributed to him being ousted by standing by and watching Mick and Stevie do it. and then getting on with a program of advertising the happy happy happy times. if they both put their foot down, they could have stopped it. instead they are all "oh loss" and "had to happen" - no, it did not. are they all really that dense?

i like how Mike is trying to wash his hands - oh i didn't know! but how about asking Lindsey, Mike? you know, guy who is your friend and a fellow musician? ask him what's going on? and now when you do know? you say how great it all is, and how you will be waiting by the phone to maybe be called again? interesting that he speaks of FM as they, not "us" - completely ruining Mick's narrative that they are all FM now.
I would entirely agree with you and do not think yours is an overreaction. To say FM "lost" a member (= fired) and equate that with The Heartbreakers losing a member (= death) is either lazy, stupid, or uncaring. I believe it's the latter, since Mike strikes me as a smart guy. I do doubt his honesty. Whether Mick told him the truth at the outset or not is beside the point: Mike certainly knew by the time the band did the on-air interview. If he didn't want to associate himself with the band and their collective decision to oust their most important MUSICAL member, then his choice to stay is on him--and he's just as culpable as the rest. Granted, there are degrees of culpability. But no one's hands are clean here.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Tom Petty died in October and tour negotiations hit a snag in November. Isn’t it possible that in that span of time Mick revisited the TPATH catalogue, connected with Mike’s playing, and suggested to Stevie that Mike was a way to move forward without Lindsey?
Yeah, Mick sat up one day (probably in an orange grove) and said, “I’m going to revisit the TPATH catalogue.”

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Yeah, Mick sat up one day (probably in an orange grove) and said, “I’m going to revisit the TPATH catalogue.”
Hahahaha, awesome!!
Old 10-07-2019, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
love it!

and then, after listening to that catalogue, Mick suggested to Stevie to oust that big bad Lindsey and replace him with poor unemployed Mike Campbell. maybe they can wait through Musicares, but then it's by-bye Linds!

the only unclear thing - why would Mick want to oust Lindsey? oh and why would Azoff say that ultimatum was from Stevie?

heh. so maybe not after all.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I can not stop laughing at this. Remember when Mick is on his death bed and sits up. I think it's "I Want You Back" video.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 10-10-2019 at 11:58 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 11:57 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438NnNAonmc

go to 2:04