The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The End of Fleetwood Mac....as I see it.

I was never sure how the “Dance” of Fleetwood Mac would end (death of a band member, changes in the lineup ?) When Stevie chose not to record with the rest of the band on the 2017 album which would have been the new music that they would have performed on this tour was an obvious sign.
Christine is done performing live period. Kicking Lindsey out of the band is un speakable. Going out with this new lineup without new music speaks volumes. (Look at the history of the band) I will always be one of their biggest fans...I love all the music and cherish the memories of the tours I have seen. (Including all the solo stuff) I never would have thought in 1977 that I would get new music from “ them” in 2017. I don’t like how this all ends but it doesn’t change the way I feel when I hear this music. I hope for Lindsey’s return to his craft. I would welcome new studio material from any of them. I do believe the live curtain is about to close for Fleetwood Mac.

Last edited by BLY; 06-21-2019 at 08:16 PM..
Old 06-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I was never sure how the “Dance” of Fleetwood Mac would end (death of a band member, changes in the lineup ?) When Stevie chose not to record with the rest of the band on the 2017 album which would have been the new music that they would have performed on this tour was an obvious sign.
Christine is done performing live period. Kicking Lindsey out of the band is un speakable. Going out with this new lineup without new music speaks volumes. (Look at the history of the band) I will always be one of their biggest fans...I love all the music and cherish the memories of the tours I have seen. (Including all the solo stuff) I never would have thought in 1977 that I would get music from “ them” in 2017. I don’t like how this all ends but it doesn’t change the way I feel when I hear this music. I hope for Lindsey’s return to his craft. I would welcome new studio material from any of them. I do believe the live curtain is about to close for Fleetwood Mac.

Perfectly said with the perfect tone. Overall Greatful or as I said about a year ago “half full.” They have a catalogue so great from 1967-1995 just as a band, the. If you include solo stuff it just gets better, that the way I’ve looked at it is anything post Dance has been gravy. I usually just go back to 2000 and think about how I thought TISL and SYW era had to be very close to the end of road. No way did I expect them to be this active at 70 plus. And I really can’t emphasize enough what an absolute miracle it is to have Christine touring and recording not just music but great music again with Fleetwood Mac Again.

The band has exceeded my expectations as far as impressing me far into their geriatric years as a live band and even with new music with Lindsey’s 3 albums, BuckVie and In Your Dreams/24 Karat Gold from Stevie.

But while I still see things very half full with the band in general and their overall legacy, I’ve also come around to admitting this final chapter in the story has been terrible. While this new version of the band has the potential to had been great as seen in rare moments like Black Magic Woman, they chose to cut all the interesting songs and insist on keeping a lot of pathetic live versions of Fleetwood Mac songs that are never pathetic. This tour’s Go Your Own Way is the worst And most anticlimactic song to any concert I’ve ever been to. What a let down after a still epic Gold a Dust Woman.

So unless this version of the band has some great, really kick ass album to surprise us with that gets back to the band’s original blues sound in the vein of Black Magic Woman but with new songs (this would be right up 4/6th of the band’s alleys. And 5/6 when you count Stevie’s love of covering blues songs. Christine even makes the comment about loving hearing stevie sing the blues after she’s done with black Magic Woman.

If this fictional album comes to fruition, then I’ll consider the band alive still. But if it’s anything short of that, I really hope Fleetwood Mac stops after this fall. I would absolutely consider January 2018 to be the end of Fleetwood Mac if this tour is all the comes of it.

Lindsey not being in the band didn’t “have” to mean the end of the band. But their execution of releasing him and I’m reforming was terrible.

They are no longer better the sum of their parts. In fact it’s the exact opposite. I believe they’re all still capable of doing good work separately but not as a group at the moment. Fleetwood Mac is where all of their creativity goes to die.

And despite coming around fully to this version of the band being an embarrassment I’m still not entirely against things going down as they did. The Lindsey solo shows this past fall we’re the best of his career and I don’t see how he could’ve done those shows simultaneously as the Fleetwood Mac shows. We had the rumours 5 tour in 2014/2015, I’m glad Lindsey's last tour before surgery was a solo one.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-22-2019, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The curtain closed when Stevie refused to join the band to record an album and tour. The rest of the band regrouped for BuckVie which drove Stevie crazy where she then threw down the ultimate ultimatum.
I must admit, I admire the optimism of many on this board. But IMHO the Mac died well over a year ago.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Junior Ledgie

I just posted in another section of the forum, but my thoughts exactly.

I'm out.

I'll continue to enjoy the music they've already released, but I refuse to support them via shows or any potential new music. They've become a bad cover band without Lindsey. It all just sounds phoned in. The musicians they added to replace Lindsey are not up to the task; good musicians in their own right, but they aren't part of the band and they never will be as far as I'm concerned.

Whether it was Stevie's call or somebody else's, it was a huge mistake and it will be a stain on their legacy. I went from being a big Stevie fan to disliking her a lot over this.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My prediction, assuming Lindsey gets his voice back, is that he'll release a few albums that will be well-received. I won't be surprised if he teams up with some younger artists/bands and continues to push forward creatively. Having Fleetwood Mac behind him must be a huge relief now that some time has passed.
I would love to see another tour - maybe an acoustic/small theater run.

As for the rest of them, I've lost interest.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:51 AM
Ledgie

So much negativity. I get it - I miss Lindsey too. But I went to the Baltimore show a) despite the negativity from some posts on here and b) a need for a mood boost from my favorite band. It sounds like Christine's voice and playing were weak during the European leg, but they were lovely in Baltimore. I think they had too many dates, and that would be the same even with Lindsey. If they had done something like two shows every other week, that would've been much more helpful to preserving Christine's performance skills as someone who is turning 76 in a couple weeks.

I do wonder if this awful breakup played a role on Lindsey's health - it probably did. I wish Stevie would come back down to Earth and realize that she wouldn't even have been in the band with Lindsey's refusal to join without her. Finn and Campbell have done very well in a situation they didn't create. Not wanting to play under the banner of one of the biggest bands ever would be a very strange choice.

It would be nice to see one more album from the Rumours 5 with no tour - a la Steely Dan - or even an album with the current six, with Lindsey featured on guitar and vocals (if possible).
Old 06-27-2019, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't see them doing an album and will Mike and Neil wait 3 years and tour again with Fleetwood Mac? Maybe Neil, but not Mike, I see him moving on to other things.

I think this may be the end for them. I wonder what Stevie will do? Another album would be nice, but I doubt it. Will see a tour for sure.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 06-28-2019, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can’t see Mike or Neil hanging around after this tour has ended.
They have made a nice sum of money to go towards one of their own projects.

What will Fmac do ?....not a lot.
Tour again in 2 years time...can’t see that happening, they really will be dinosaurs.

So yes this is the end...
Great great band in their prime.
Stupid people in their old age.

Last edited by sue; 06-28-2019 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: Adding something
Old 06-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Agreed.

I can't help but wonder what the situation would be right now if Stevie had agreed to work on the Buck/Vie album (and therefore be a proper Fleetwood Mac album). Would they still have imploded from the friction? Would they actually still be touring now as the R5? We'll never know.

Once they kicked LB out, my support for the band in the present ended as I just have no desire to support or experience this incarnation. I did love LB's fall tour and am so glad I was able to experience it given his current health situation.

Every now and then a FM song pops up on shuffle or on my SiriusXM stations. I usually listen but it's not the same. There's a bitterness there. Such a shame considering they have been such a huge part of my life.... They've corrupted their own legacy.

Again, I wonder what if Stevie had swallowed her pride and agreed to give a few days of her time to Buck/Vie... makes you wonder what things would be like today. Could still be a hot mess just via another path. Or we could have had one last great FM album on which to hang our hats as fans.
Old 06-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If FM #14 record something, I'll buy it as I'm a bit of a completist. I do honestly think that a Finn/Chris collaboration could be interesting- there's quite a bit of talent there. Rows and splits have always been integral to a fissiparious entity like this band, but I suspect it might be one twist too far and leave a sour taste in the ear, if I'm not mixing things up too much. I won't go see them play, though if they tour again. The Wembley gigs seem such a cynical cash-grab to me.It's telling that even though the Ledge itself feels as if it is dying, no UK ledgie has come here to report that they went as far as I can tell.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 06-28-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
Every now and then a FM song pops up on shuffle or on my SiriusXM stations. I usually listen but it's not the same. There's a bitterness there. Such a shame considering they have been such a huge part of my life.... They've corrupted their own legacy.
When a song comes on when I'm in a public place, I listen. I might even strain to hear it, but it makes me sad. As you said, it's certainly not the same and I just feel torn up about Christine. I've known what Mick and Stevie were for a long time now. I once loved Stevie. I don't think I've ever loved Mick. Maybe I liked him but didn't love him. Maybe I loved him and didn't like him, but I NEVER respected him. At any rate, it's easy to simply despise Mick and Stevie as the inevitable conclusion of the path I've been on.

But with Christine I just tear up and I hear her voice over a speaker and it makes me yearn. I can't believe it has ended like this. Honestly, this is a much more painful ending than Sonny Bono skiing into a tree after I'd been a fan of his since childhood.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is all so true. It feels very weird that I cannot, in good conscience, support the band. This is the first tour I've missed since the 1980s. The thing that is so hard to comprehend is the sold-out crowds. I can't support the band because of their unconscionable treatment of Lindsey, but I also think it's really creepy and weird that they're dragging Neil Finn and Mike Campbell around. I missed Lindsey when Rick and Billy were in the band, but I didn't feel utter disdain and embarrassment for them. I even went to see them on tour back then, and I own the TITN video. But THIS incarnation just feels like a crotchety, past-their-prime gaggle of old codgers/hucksters who need to pack it in. I wouldn't feel this way if Lindsey were with them because it'd be our old band touring. But this...they just seem like a bunch of corny hacks. It sounds stupid, I know, but I really miss loving them. They've been a huge part of my life. I'm grateful for the like-minded people here on The Ledge.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviegirl View Post
The thing that is so hard to comprehend is the sold-out crowds.
Agreed.... This is unfortunately the state of the digital world we live in now... most shows for any known act "sell out" immediately from bots who buy up all the tickets then try to re-sell them for profit on various outlets. The result is (even more) expensive tickets for those who actually want to see the show, and then half-empty arenas when you get to that "sold out" show because most don't re-sell. It's a sham and a shame on many levels. Even if the artist(s) make the money from those initially sold bot tickets, it has to be deflating to see half-empty venues night after night while you're on the stage. It's a chronic problem (and very frustrating when trying to purchase tickets, like I was for the Black Keys a few weeks back).

But yes, it's hard to believe these FM shows have "sold out," I completely agree.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:23 PM
Ledgie

Everyone is old or older, but Neil has the strongest voice of the three - I don't think his vocals have fallen off at all. As I said, more sporadic concerts lets Christine recover and shine as she did in Baltimore. I think Stevie would have eaten some crow if she went in the studio with Christine and Lindsey - the album was well-received without her, and a strong two or three songs from her to add to their 10 would've made it skyrocket, undoubtedly.

Despite this being an unpopular opinion, I would have loved to have seen another record with the Time group (removing These Strange Times from a final cut), or Danny getting to play with them again before he passed.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwelchera View Post
Everyone is old or older, but Neil has the strongest voice of the three - I don't think his vocals have fallen off at all. As I said, more sporadic concerts lets Christine recover and shine as she did in Baltimore. I think Stevie would have eaten some crow if she went in the studio with Christine and Lindsey - the album was well-received without her, and a strong two or three songs from her to add to their 10 would've made it skyrocket, undoubtedly.

Despite this being an unpopular opinion, I would have loved to have seen another record with the Time group (removing These Strange Times from a final cut), or Danny getting to play with them again before he passed.
I'd have loved to have seen more from the Love Shines band. Just Mick, John, Chris and Billy. But yes you are right, the Time band didn't get a fair shot. Feel sorry for Bekka B.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood