The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:20 AM
Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac: ‘We’ll burn in hell if we don’t play Glastonbury one day’

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...87971.html?amp

Fleetwood Mac: ‘We’ll burn in hell if we don’t play Glastonbury one day’

Cocaine, fights, love affairs and break-ups. Mick Fleetwood and Christine McVie speak to Chris Harvey about the success, the hardship and the torment of the band as they prepare to play Wembley in June

"This strange, funny band is complicated,” says Mick Fleetwood. “It’s all about people, it’s not horrific.” I’m talking to the man who has been the only member of Fleetwood Mac to appear in every line-up of the band since they were formed. When they step out on stage at Wembley Stadium in June, that will be coming up to 52 years ago.

We’ve been chatting about the period when Fleetwood Mac moved from stars to superstars with the release of Rumours in 1977. It was during the era of Seventies rock excess, when band mythologies are wreathed in tales of groupies, sexual exploitation, drug addiction and death.

Fleetwood Mac were no strangers to drugs: LSD had cost the group its original leader, Peter Green, at the end of the Sixties, and cocaine was an integral part of the band’s Seventies. Fleetwood wrote in his autobiography that Rumours was written with “white powder peeling off the wall in every room of the studio”.

“I think we were damned lucky that our music never went down the drain because we went down the drain,” the 71-year-old drummer says now, “and I think in truth there are moments where you could have said we got pretty close, you know.

“Cocaine was everywhere, people who worked in banks [used it]. Personally, I had a run on that lifestyle, but fortunately, I didn’t get into any other type of drug that would have been more damaging – I don’t even know why, but I’m very thankful. Brandy and cocaine and beer,” he says, naming his poisons, as he describes the 20 years of “high-powered lunacy” that he put his body through. “That lifestyle became something that had to come to an end… hopefully, you come out of it with your trousers still on, and not taken out in a plastic bag.”

There’s a real warmth and self-deprecating chattiness to Fleetwood. He notes that “a lot of the moments of creativity” for the band “were intertwined with sometimes extreme lifestyle choices”. But that reference to Fleetwood Mac being complicated, not horrific was in response to a question about whether the fact that there were women in the band – Christine McVie joined in 1970, Stevie Nicks in 1975 – meant that they avoided the sort of behaviour that people associate with the likes of Led Zeppelin and Vanilla Fudge at that time. “Absolutely no doubt about it and thank god,” he says.

“All of us… anyone that’s been in Fleetwood Mac as far as I’ve been aware has been seemingly pretty well brought up by their parents – not goody two-shoes, god knows we weren’t, but there was a level of civility that the lads in the band were aware of; what is over the brink of decency. We all hear and know some of the things written about other bands, where you go, ‘oh my god’.

“Often the chemicals in young men and women are busting loose, that’s part of growing up, and when you’re growing up in a rock’n’roll band, guess what? You’re tending to jump down the local discotheque for a night out, but a lot of that was hopefully tempered,” he adds.

Christine McVie confirms his take on it: “Fleetwood Mac were a rude bunch, they had dirty minds, they still do, but I used to laugh because I thought they were hysterical. I kind of became one of the guys, which I think I still am to this day, but I was always treated with great respect.”

When the band set out in 1967, of course, there were just guys, although they didn’t yet include John McVie. The Mac part of the band’s name was founding member Green’s attempt to convince McVie to leave his steady gig playing bass for the Bluesbreakers. He eventually did, with a bit of persuading. It was a wise move. The band experienced significant chart success almost from the beginning of their career, with an authentic blues sound built on Green’s virutoso lead guitar and the stellar rhythm section of McVie and Fleetwood, who to this day says he doesn’t “know” the songs, but plays them instinctively (“the power of those two,” says Christine McVie, “you can’t ever know what that feels like until you’re standing on the stage with them”).

They had a No 1 single with “Albatross” in 1968, followed by two songs, “Man of the World” and “Oh Well”, that both reached No 2 in the UK, plus three top 10 albums.

Meanwhile, the young Christine Perfect, later to become McVie, had a top 20 hit with her band Chicken Shack and a brief solo career, which produced songs such as “Close to Me”, which still sounds amazing, although McVie tells me she went back and listened to it recently and “hated it... I was not a very confident writer and that is probably one of my least favourite songs on the planet.” (Even geniuses can be wrong.)

She remembers when she and a fellow Chicken Shack band member used to trail around and watch Fleetwood Mac when they had a night off, and recalls the first time she met Fleetwood, who “had a perm, which looked awful… he was intimidating in the beginning because of his height [he’s 6ft 4in]. I was very shy of him for years.”

She married John McVie in 1968, and, according to Fleetwood, “basically retired into being his wife” in 1969 after realising that if they were in different bands they would never see each other. She had played keyboards on their 1968 album Mr Wonderful, and did so again on 1970’s Kiln House. It was the band’s first album after the departure of Green, whose use of LSD had altered his mental state in so extreme a way that it could no longer be reconciled with the rest of the band. Fleetwood told McVie, “Chris, we need you” – she joined three days before the band left for America “and then we never looked back”.

For her part, McVie says: “I didn’t want to go to America – I’m a real Anglophile, I adore England – but the rest of the band promised me, we’ll go for three months, because we had no career over there, nobody wanted to book us, and then we’ll come back… 28 years later, I got to move back to England again.”

McVie spent years restoring a manor house in Kent, enjoying life with her dogs, until she began to miss the band. Fleetwood has been in Maui, Hawaii, for 17 years, and lives there with his girlfriend of seven years, Chelsea Hill – “we’re joined at the hip”.

The band has been playing early tracks such as “Black Magic Woman” (later recorded by Santana) and “Oh Well” on the huge tour of which the London dates form a part, but Fleetwood says they may be digging up more of the really early stuff specially for the Wembley gigs. The return of McVie to the ranks of the band after 16 years in 2014 was “like something falling out of the sky”, he says. The band will be performing without one key member, though. Lindsey Buckingham was fired in 2018, to be replaced by Neil Finn of Crowded House and Tom Petty guitarist Mike Campbell (who also wrote the music for Don Henley’s “Boys of Summer”). The roots of Buckingham’s departure run deep.

What is now considered the classic line-up – Fleetwood, John and Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham – took shape after the revolving door of guitarists leaving the band in the early Seventies left a gap that Fleetwood tried to fill with the man he’d heard playing on a Sound City studio tape of the Buckingham Nicks album (released in 1973). The duo were a couple, though, and so inseparable that Buckingham told Fleetwood that they only came as a package deal (“Stevie’s never forgiven me,” Fleetwood says). The band’s sound evolved with its new triumvirate of songwriters. Blues remained a backdrop, but Christine McVie’s classical roots, which can be clearly heard on “Songbird”, combined with Nicks’s folk-country influences and Buckingham’s innovative guitar structures to create something multi-textured and melodically rich. Their first album together, Fleetwood Mac (1975), which features classic tracks such as Nicks’s “Landslide” and Christine McVie’s “Over My Head”, went to No 1 in the US, selling more than 4 million copies.

The success of Rumours, though, took the band to a whole new level of fame. “You don’t see any money for a year after the album’s released,” McVie notes, “so when the first cheques started coming in, we all went berserk and went out and bought Porsches and Rolls-Royces.”

“There’s a picture of the five of us back in the day taken by [rock photographer] Neil Preston, and I always look at it and we’re laughing away, and we didn’t have any idea what was going to happen,” Fleetwood says. “No one could have imagined the success and the hardship and the torment.”

Torment because, just as the band became globally successful, interpersonal tensions were also threatening to tear it apart. Rumours was “the beginning of a lot of trouble and emotional turmoil within the band”, Fleetwood says ruefully. Perhaps it was inevitable for a band that contained two couples. But it’s also one of the abiding reasons why Fleetwood Mac are held in such affection. This was a band that was writing about real people trying to have real relationships and some of their lyrics cut to the quick: “listen carefully to the sound of your loneliness… remembering what you had / and what you lost, and what you had, and what you lost”, wrote Nicks in “Dreams”. “I ain’t gonna miss you when you go”, returned Buckingham on “Second Hand News”, “Packing up, shacking up’s all you wanna do”, he added on “Go Your Own Way”. Nicks dumped Buckingham in 1976, the same year that McVie had an affair with the band’s lighting director – “Ooh, you make loving fun” she wrote, telling her husband the song was about a dog.

“I think it’s part of how people relate to Fleetwood Mac,” Fleetwood says. “In many ways we’ve been too open and too truthful about stuff that is really none of anyone’s business. I think we were quite naive in the way we related a lot of that truth to people other than ourselves.” The outcome, though, he says, “is it’s part of our history and part of a human connection that is now actually a really lovely thing – that people relate to us because we’re not perfect, as many people aren’t themselves.”

The turmoil even extended to Fleetwood, who had an affair with Nicks. Had that sucked him into the emotional maelstrom as well? “That was all for the most part very unknown and it was very private,” he says. “I don’t mind talking about it and I don’t think Stevie would, because we know that that’s part of the story – it’s complicated in terms of the way the logistics of the band worked. To this very day, we’re really lucky that me and Stevie remained very, very dear friends or I’d be answering you very differently.”

The tension between Nicks and Buckingham though was intense, and famously led to a violent confrontation in 1987, in which Buckingham reportedly tried to choke her over a car bonnet. “That whole situation is for Stevie and Lindsey to answer about, but it’s no secret that their journey has been volatile in emotional terms,” Fleetwood says.

Buckingham told Rolling Stone in October that he was given a message that “Stevie never wants to appear on a stage with you again” after he “smirked” during a thank you speech that she gave at a charity concert and claimed that she had given a “him or me” ultimatum to the rest of the band. Other reports suggested that Buckingham’s request to take three or four months off to go on a solo tour had been part of the decision. He took legal action against the group after being asked to leave, but in December it was reported that this had been settled, which may be why Fleetwood doesn’t want to discuss the issue.

“We survived the change we’re going through now,” he says, “none of it is going to be frothed off as, ‘who cares?’... but I have to say that we have two brilliant new members of Fleetwood Mac who are now part of our story, and I truly hope that we will be able to make some [new] music with both of them.”

He’s quick to acknowledge Buckingham’s musical legacy within the band, especially his contribution to Tusk, the 1979 follow-up to Rumours, which he says is his personal favourite. “Kudos to Lindsey for sure, for us not doing a replica of Rumours.” The experimental nature of the double album raised eyebrows at the time. “It’s a very underproduced record, which I hated in the beginning,” McVie admits. “Now I actually really love it.” It has had a critical reappraisal, too, in recent years, and is considered by many to be a classic.

Looking back, Fleetwood admits that the life and times of the band have been so tumultuous that, “if I’d been a singer songwriter, I might have said, I’ve had enough, form a solo band, I’m done... All I can say is it’s a damn miracle [we’re still together].”

Some things remain undone, though, most noticeably a Glastonbury appearance. In 49 years of the festival, the band has not appeared once, although rumours surfaced as usual that this was going to be the year. “We didn’t start them,” he laughs. “Of course, we’ve been asked to play and it’s never worked out.

“I think the legend of Glastonbury and Fleetwood Mac will come true,” he adds, “I think I’ll burn in hell if we don’t do it one day.”

Fleetwood Mac play Wembley Stadium on June 16 and 18
Old 04-27-2019, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So interesting that Mick doesn't want to get into the reasons for Lindsey being fired.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-27-2019, 08:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
So interesting that Mick doesn't want to get into the reasons for Lindsey being fired.
He can't keep track of all the lies, so best to just keep his mouth shut? I find it really interesting the only 2 people who do press for the band now are Mick and Christine. Stevie did 2 interviews and usually they would have her front and center. What about their fantastic new band members?
Old 04-27-2019, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I noticed also that Mick and Chris are the only ones doing press. I don't expect anything from John, but we get nothing from Stevie at all except her Rock n Roll Hall of Fame honor. It would be really good I think, for her to do a big interview and tell everyone why she couldn't work with Lindsey anymore.

All this secrecy and frankly, lies, has not done her any favors. I hate to believe the worst in these people, but honestly, they act like kids. They should be way past this.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
I noticed also that Mick and Chris are the only ones doing press. I don't expect anything from John, but we get nothing from Stevie at all except her Rock n Roll Hall of Fame honor. It would be really good I think, for her to do a big interview and tell everyone why she couldn't work with Lindsey anymore.

All this secrecy and frankly, lies, has not done her any favors. I hate to believe the worst in these people, but honestly, they act like kids. They should be way past this.
Especially for all her die-hard fans who still think she did nothing to deserve all the hate she received this year. If you're supporting your decision 100% and you totally believe in what you did, they why aren't you talking about it?

Mick is afraid of Glastonbury but he thinks what he did to Lindsey was ok enough to go to Heaven.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read a post on Facebook where the person was saying that they worked for the festival for 6 years.
He stated the reason they don’t play (and they’ve been approached and been in negotiations MANY times) is because they want too much money to perform.
He also said that if Mick really wants to play there, he should be contacting them.
Greedy comes to mind..........
Old 04-27-2019, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

sad that the band i LOVED since I was 15 now just has a stench all over them. They reek of lies and deception and the legacy is ruined.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
I read a post on Facebook where the person was saying that they worked for the festival for 6 years.
He stated the reason they don’t play (and they’ve been approached and been in negotiations MANY times) is because they want too much money to perform.
He also said that if Mick really wants to play there, he should be contacting them.
Greedy comes to mind..........
I've also heard this...

I heard when they played the Isle of Wight Festival a few years ago, they got a ridiculous amount of $ to play, even with these Glasto pieces constantly in the press.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniette View Post
he adds, “I think I’ll burn in hell
interesting that this is on Mick's mind. probably with a good reason - and it not being the 6 million for Glasto appearance that Eavis said FM asked for and can forget about ever getting anywhere near that much. not everything's about money for everyone like it is for FM, Mick, their management, and apparently some of the fans here.

guess Isle of Wight paid about that (their organizer was clear they got them in 2015 because they were willing to pay way more than Glasto).

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2019, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
interesting that this is on Mick's mind. probably with a good reason - and it not being the 6 million for Glasto appearance that Eavis said FM asked for and can forget about ever getting anywhere near that much. not everything's about money for everyone like it is for FM, Mick, their management, and apparently some of the fans here.

guess Isle of Wight paid about that (their organizer was clear they got them in 2015 because they were willing to pay way more than Glasto).
He's such a charlatan. He's just looking for the next meal ticket. Probably because he's bankrupt (morally and otherwise). I love the Glasto folks are not willing to cow tow to him (or so it seems) Can someone please ask him if he's willing to take the "pay cut" to play Glasto before he burns.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Indeed Mick is a true Charlton. All he cares about is lining his own pockets. It is sad that while the others can manage their money he seems intent on being bankrupt every chance he can because he knows the others will keep bailing him out time and again.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in the 80s (yes, I'm in my forties), I used to gag every time I read one of Paul McCartney's annual "Why I Wrote 'Yesterday'" interviews. Well, since 1998, I've gagged every time I wade through 2-5 paragraphs of "What It Was Like Recording 'Rumours'" in any article related to FM or one of its individual members (of the famous five).

Seriously, in 2019, do we NEED this anymore? Can't we just say, "Please ask you grandmother what it was like for the band back then?"

If you take out the band's heyday, what else do you have? Old people rehashing that heyday.

Getting rid of Lindsey may have been (for them) a necessary evil for continuing their cash grab tours but it was REALLY bad for the band brand and any fresh relevance it might have still had...

I guess this sentiment is almost as repetitive as the "we did cocaine" stories...
Old 05-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually liked this article... I appreciate that the interviewer asked the “hard” questions, even if Mick didn’t answer.

The bit about the band being truthful and open has me rolling my eyes though. I’m ready for some of that about the Lindsey situation. If it comes out through new music that’s fine too.
Old 06-22-2019, 04:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac Glastonbury SHOCK: Did Mick Fleetwood just tease headlining in 2020?
FLEETWOOD MAC appear to have teased they will headline Glastonbury Festival 2020.

The Express
https://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...embley-Stadium

By GEORGE SIMPSON

Last weekend Fleetwood Mac played Wembley Stadium in London before drummer Mick Fleetwood gave a big clue to a future concert. The iconic band have never performed at Glastonbury Festival, but now it looks like that’s all about to change. Fans reported that during the concert Mick said Fleetwood Mac still “had a big field to play”. While Twitter accounts said the 71-year-old referenced “a rained out festival in England next year.”

Next year is the festival’s 50th anniversary so it would certainly be a special occasion. Some fans had hoped Fleetwood Mac would headline Glastonbury this summer, but Christine McVie has revealed why that’s not the case. Speaking in March, the 75-year-old admitted: “It isn’t up to me, it’s up to the management. It’s their decision and down to logistics.”

Fleetwood Mac Glastonbury SHOCK: Did Mick Fleetwood just tease headlining in 2020? (Image: GETTY)

The Glasto Thingy
@TheGlastoThingy
Unconfirmed reports coming in that Fleetwood Mac announced they will be playing "a rained out festival in England" next year.#Glastonbury #Glasto #SoundsLikeIt

10:27 PM - Jun 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
28 people are talking about this

jade louise
@Jade_spade_
· Jun 16, 2019
@fleetwoodmac did you just self confirm for @GlastoFest 2020???

jade louise
@Jade_spade_
Mick said a big field still to play. . . It has to be glasto

10:26 PM - Jun 16, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See jade louise's other Tweets
But even then the keyboardist said Fleetwood Mac hoped to headline Glastonbury one day.

She continued: “I can’t say yes or no to Glastonbury, but I’d like to – so long as I don’t have to wear wellington boots on stage.

“Or maybe I’d just have to roll with it – wellie boots with mud.”

Having left Fleetwood Mac in 1998 and rejoined in 2014, the band have now seen long-running lead guitarist Lindsey Buckingham quit last year.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 06-22-2019, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is this Mick / band management trying to drum up some sort of audience demand that they can then leverage to get the big bucks they want from Glastonbury??

Remember, when Chris says "band management" said management is now Stevie's managers in the main. Sure Carl or whoever reps Mick and Chris, but he's not in the same league as Sheryl/Irving. No way.