Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jeff Miers on Seeing the Present Band

https://buffalonews.com/2019/03/27/r...st-be-in-town/

………………………………………

"Rumors, Recriminations and Rock-n-Roll. Yep, Fleetwood Mac Must Be In Town"

Guilt.

That’s what I felt about halfway through Tuesday night’s sold-out Fleetwood Mac show at KeyBank Center, at the moment when I realized that the band sounded pretty fantastic in its latest guise, and that the “new blood” on the stage was making the music and the people playing it sound fresh, rejuvenated and at times even inspired.

I should have been happy that “new guys” Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) and Neil Finn (Crowded House) had been rather seamlessly integrated into the ornate, soulful rock and pop that are the Fleetwood Mac stock in trade.

But what I felt, mostly, was guilt for being so easily won over by this Lindsey Buckingham-less version of the band. The guitarist/vocalist/producer/songwriter and general sculptor of the Fleetwood Mac sound since the mid-'70s, Buckingham was rather brutally fired from the band prior to this 50th anniversary tour’s commencement last year. As a serious fan of his work, one who acknowledges that Buckingham’s vision played a big part in the multiplatinum, career-defining success of the “Rumours” album, I felt duty-bound to mourn Buckingham’s fate and, as unflattering as it is to admit it, was hoping that his absence would be noticeable, obvious and immediately felt.

But it really wasn’t, so much.

The full Fleetwood Mac lineup can be seen on the stage and the video screen during a concert at KeyBank Center. (Sharon Cantillon/Buffalo News)

Guitarist Campbell and vocalist/guitarist Finn sounded fantastic, as if they had been playing with the Mick Fleetwood/John McVie/Christine McVie rhythm section for decades, rather than months. Finn’s still-strong and soulful tenor worked wonders on the songs Buckingham used to sing and fit into the Christine McVie/Stevie Nicks harmony blend (aided by a pair of background singers) with graceful ease. Campbell’s instantly recognizable blend of gritty garage blues and soulful, elegant and often elegiac melodic lines made the jump from the late, lamented Petty’s band to Fleetwood Mac with conviction. It all worked, and well, for the two-plus hours the band was on stage.

It helped that Fleetwood Mac is sitting atop a catalog of songs that refuse to bow to the brutal reality of aging. From the mildly sinister, slow-boiling invocation of opener “The Chain,” through a 21-song set that included much of the 1970s/'80s music that Buckingham either wrote, sang, co-wrote, arranged or produced, and even in such tireless anthems as “Go Your Own Way” and “Don’t Stop,” the band proved that the songs and the sound – that laid-back marriage of California pop and British soul – transcend the people playing and singing them.

Nicks, who will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on Friday for the second time – this time as a solo artist – seemed to be the primary focus of the packed house’s attention throughout. Her features – the woozy “Dreams,” of course, the leather-and-lace-clad “Rhiannon,” the folksy “Landslide,” the desperate, keening “Gold Dust Woman” – brought raucous ovations from the crowd, and her mildly gothic presence remained a focal point whenever she was on the stage. None of this was new – Nicks has been doing these songs in pretty much the same way since Fleetwood Mac returned to the concert trail after a hiatus, beginning in the mid-'90s.

However, a spirited arrangement of the Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac tune “Black Magic Woman” was indeed new, and acted as one of the set’s high points, Nicks’ at times weathered voice ably serving the tune’s hard-blues structure, which she approached from the first-person point of view of a woman. (“I’m a black magic woman,” she sang, truly making the song her own.) Campbell and Finn were all over this one, their layered guitars celebrating the Green-era of the band with fire and fury. Campbell did the same during a stomping take on Green’s “Oh Well,” a tune he played often with Petty and the Heartbreakers.

Christine McVie sang in her gorgeously languorous style throughout, her voice sounding as strong as ever as she led the band through “Say You Love Me,” while her ex-husband John McVie laid down the song’s indelible bass line hook behind her. Finn – who, let’s face it, had the toughest gig of anyone on stage, as he was largely fulfilling the role previously held by Buckingham – was granted a well-received solo spot for a stirring take on the Crowded House gem “Don’t Dream It’s Over,” with Nicks thrilling the crowd when she emerged to sing the song’s second verse.

These disparate parts should have ended up forming what was essentially an amazing Fleetwood Mac tribute act, performing a Vegas-style career retrospective. Yet somehow, this version felt like a real, honest-to-goodness band, and a revitalized one at that.

The Buckingham fan in me protested. But that protest was in vain.

[Jeff Miers – The News' music critic since 2002, Jeff Miers also compiles the "90 Minutes" series where he highlights things to do in various Western New York neighborhoods. Miers co-hosts the monthly Gusto Vinyl Happy Hour at the Sportsmen's Tavern.]
Old 03-27-2019, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At least the truth is making the rounds.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
At least the truth is making the rounds.
Yup, exactly, they are doing just fine without Lindsey.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
If there was a risk that the band would implode without him, they would not have fired him.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sounds like they won another skeptic over.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:18 PM
Ledgie

this review makes me just glad that I'll see them after all, I just could not not see them.
It's Pinkpop in the Netherlands, yeah.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The show is fantastic. If you saw early shows with Hypnotized, it was killer. I can't believe that I will likely NEVER hear that kick drum starting The Chain live after they close in North America next month. Can't get my head around that at all. If you're on the fence about going, GO.

This is the end of the road...
Old 03-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
Sounds like they won another skeptic over.
haha or changing the tactic after getting pushback on those obvious pre-written reviews. because other than the first and the last sentence everything else reads like one of those familiar texts, even including refreshed band or whatever wording they use. claiming to be a LB fan just to dump on him is way too familiar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
I can't believe that I will likely NEVER hear that kick drum starting The Chain
exactly how i feel NOW. so maybe FINALLY you can get what so many hardcores are talking about when we say how horribly painful to listen this "new band" versions are.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-27-2019, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
The show is fantastic. If you saw early shows with Hypnotized, it was killer. I can't believe that I will likely NEVER hear that kick drum starting The Chain live after they close in North America next month. Can't get my head around that at all. If you're on the fence about going, GO.

This is the end of the road...
As a hardcore Stevie, Fleetwood Mac, and Lindsey fan, I am going to just pretend like this is my last chance to see Christine live. The other two, I really could care less about. I'm trying to keep it in that mindset.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
DOES THAT MEAN IT WAS THE RIGHT THING TO DO???? You stevie freaks are HEARTLESS. GROSS.
Old 03-28-2019, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
haha or changing the tactic after getting pushback on those obvious pre-written reviews. because other than the first and the last sentence everything else reads like one of those familiar texts, even including refreshed band or whatever wording they use. claiming to be a LB fan just to dump on him is way too familiar.

exactly how i feel NOW. so maybe FINALLY you can get what so many hardcores are talking about when we say how horribly painful to listen this "new band" versions are.
Everytime I see you write this my toes curl. I have to believe it is a joke or some sort of trolling. I know you would desperately like the band to not be doing well but you are a smart woman and I can't imagine you truly believe such a wild conspiracy theory. As if any band could wield that kind of power, particularly a legacy act. "Here's what you are going to say about how our show went regardless of what you see or hear with your own eyes and ears. Be sure to mention it was a sellout or nearly so despite there only being 8 people in attendance; oh and don't forget to add that Christine is having a rough time singing these days!" Come on now, I know based on your feeling about the situation, that you would like to believe that all the great reviews aren't "real" but hanging your hopes on a conspiracy like that just doesn't seem realistic.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 03-28-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Old 03-28-2019, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^^ you seem to be confusing marketing with conspiracy theories.

Marketing pieces are sent out all the time, you can’t be oblivious to that? Up to writers whether to use some of the text from them or not.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah they're doing "fine" as reaching that "par" that they need to hit on a tour, but this show is beyond boring.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Stevie and Christine. I'd never miss a show. For ANY of them. SOLO or with FWM, but this tour is STALE. It's the same show. Cambpell and Finn are Burnette and Vito replicas. Same sets. Same songs. Same wardrobe. Tom Petty tribute? Yawn. Like can't they do Angel or Crystal or something.

Kicking Lindsey out took me some time to get over. But then when the set list/show videos I think I was even more disappointed. Like this is what we got? Lame.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Marketing pieces are sent out all the time, you can’t be oblivious to that? Up to writers whether to use some of the text from them or not.
So the positive reviews of Lindsey's work are marketing pieces too?? After all, he needs positive reviews to keep his solo career with at least a pulse! And those of the Buck McVie tour?? That was something different too, and surely they needed positive press to validate it??
Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

So all the good reviews are lazy writers that can't be bothered to actually write about the show they attended regardless of whether they liked it or not, and any non-positive ones are the writers with some real journalistic integrity who refused to parrot the press release they are presumably pressured to use. Is that what you are saying? Doesn't matter that apparently there doesn't seem to be any appreciable amount of word of mouth going around about bad shows by people who actually went that would dissuade 100 million dollars worth of attendees.

https://www.pollstar.com/concert-pulse

Based on this, it looks like the word of mouth is pretty good.

Last edited by Feather Blade; 03-28-2019 at 10:23 AM..