Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The ghost of a living man haunts Fleetwood Mac

Edmonton review - i enjoyed that apt subtitle.

https://edmontonjournal.com/entertai...o-rogers-place

Review: Fleetwood Mac deliver time-tested hits in return to Rogers Place

Review of Fleetwood Mac, playing Rogers Place on Nov. 12

TOM MURRAY Updated: November 13, 2019

The ghost of a living man haunts Fleetwood Mac.

Considering the 11 talented musicians packed on the Rogers stage Tuesday night you wouldn’t think that was possible, but it’s true. The half-century-old group can still put on an entertaining and polished show, though the gap where guitarist, songwriter, and musical spark plug Lindsey Buckingham normally stands is very evident in the retooled Mac.

The band itself obviously knows this, which is why they brought in some heavy hitters to up the supergroup quotient. Neil Finn (of Crowded House and Split Enz) and Mike Campbell (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) split Buckingham duties, Campbell unspooling stinging solos, the affable and energetic Finn providing supportive guitar work and vocals.

Each got a few moments in the spotlight to shine on their own, Finn reaching all the way back to 1980 for I Got You and then later sharing the mic with Nicks on a lovely, understated Don’t Dream It’s Over. He also helmed an incendiary version of Go Your Own Way, while Campbell stepped up for Oh Well and led the band in tribute to his old boss with a Nicks-sung version of Free Fallin’. It was not unlike those Ringo Starr tours of the ’90s where the Beatles’ drummer brought along a cavalcade of celebrity musicians to take a turn at the mic for their best known songs.

Husky-voiced Stevie Nicks had to dip under the high notes a few times, understandable given that she’s edging in on 72. She still has the back catalog of perfect pop jams and mystic hippie moves to draw from, spinning during Gypsy and Dreams, giving herself over to full interpretative dance on psych-jam Gold Dust Woman. The drawn out Black Magic Woman was given a pronoun swap; after years of constant radio rotation Landslide was every bit as gorgeous and fragile as you would have expected, just as Rhiannon maintained the necessary sultry, mysterious vibe.

Christine McVie mostly kept behind her bank of keyboards, harmonizing with Nicks, laying down choice lines where necessary. A not-so-secret weapon in the Mac arsenal, McVie has a greatest hits collection of her own with songs like Say You Love Me, You Make Loving Fun, Little Lies, and Everywhere. While at times she seemed a bit rushed in her phrasing she’s still a strong vocal and musical presence.

John McVie was his usual rock steady self to the side of the drum riser, providing supple, solid bass, while Fleetwood was a bit of a ham on his extended drum solo, shouting through a frenetic duet with percussionist Taku Hirano then grabbing a hand drum and wandering out front to continue the musical dialogue.

That’s also the point at which the band slowed down their momentum, stalling on the long sequence of hits to chat, pull out a few deep cuts, strip down to component parts. Nicks apologized for the double cancellation from last spring and 2018, Fleetwood wryly acknowledged what a strange and wonderful beast his band is. Nobody mentioned the gap that is Lindsey Buckingham.

And why should they? Holding pattern Fleetwood Mac is still Fleetwood Mac, so while the current edition feels a little bit ad hoc they’re still capable of delivering pure sonic pleasure when put to the test.

REVIEW

Fleetwood Mac

Where: Rogers Place

When: Tuesday, Nov. 12

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 11-15-2019, 05:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wasn’t Nicks’ voice supposedly “in charge” of haunting Lindsey forever and ever until his last breath or whatever?
And look how things turned out at the end!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Just stopped by for the first time in a long time

My feelings are that this band, who I loved so much, is dead .... not by natural causes either
Old 11-15-2019, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's so true. Something or shall I say, someone, is truly missing
Old 11-17-2019, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Just stopped by for the first time in a long time

My feelings are that this band, who I loved so much, is dead .... not by natural causes either
Murdered in cold blood.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:49 AM
Junior Ledgie

I would never pay to see this version of Fleetwood Mac, nor would I buy any albums if they even have it in them to try and make any.

On the other hand, I would shell out money for Lindsey Buckingham music.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post
I would never pay to see this version of Fleetwood Mac, nor would I buy any albums if they even have it in them to try and make any.

Agree!
But, for some reason I known I'll listen for a new album if there's a new release. I denied myself to listen to Behind The Mask or Time because of the "broken chain", but I heard them recently and discovered they're nice albums.
This time is quite different I guess...
Old 05-06-2020, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Agree!
But, for some reason I known I'll listen for a new album if there's a new release. I denied myself to listen to Behind The Mask or Time because of the "broken chain", but I heard them recently and discovered they're nice albums.
This time is quite different I guess...
BTM and Time are decent albums. Not great, though. I think they're both as good as SYW.

A GREAT album holds together as a cohesive unit. The running order works. The songs even fit together as a unit. You want to listen to it's entirety in one sitting.

I think White through Tango do that. Nothing forward is a great album. Good, but not great.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
BTM and Time are decent albums. Not great, though. I think they're both as good as SYW.

A GREAT album holds together as a cohesive unit. The running order works. The songs even fit together as a unit. You want to listen to it's entirety in one sitting.

I think White through Tango do that. Nothing forward is a great album. Good, but not great.
In fact, I'm really loving Time, and I have no doubts is a good album. As you say, good but not great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucewayne View Post

I read on the Rolling Stone something like "you want to see FM musicians playing FM songs, and you want to hear Traffic musicians playing Traffic songs". This was about Dave Mason's days on the band. Maybe the same applies to the present band. I wouldn't go to a FM show to hear songs from another bands...But it's what's happening now!
Old 05-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I’d give you that up until “Tusk.”

As for BTM and Time, I think THIS says it all...

https://youtu.be/Yi55RRan74U

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 05-09-2020 at 10:47 PM..
Old 05-10-2020, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Seeds We Sow and Buckingham McVie - and Lindsey's solo Anthology, especially the first disc (Lindsey finally graduated the art of sequencing which has been sorely missing on some of his albums, as well as on SYW) are such albums for me.

even White Album and Rumours are not for me. they are like Greatest Hits albums, but i still skip some songs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"