User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Yep. Nothing about the new lineup is interesting. Nothing is generative. Nothing is worth reporting. Just the bull that Mick hopes will get the masses in seats. So dull. So callous.
So dull, is right. Everything they have all said since the new band went on TV has all been corporate-approved publicity. I find it really mind numbing. I think someone is in a glass office feeding them words and phrases. Are they all trying to refashion Fleetwood Mac into a nondrama band? If they are, it isn't working, because these toothless articles all drudge up the old drama as if it were yesterday. Why this damn worry about "damaging the brand"? Searing honesty, cattiness, and drama have never damaged this brand. Why won't Christine say what she really thinks? Why won't Stevie? Why doesn't Mike Campbell - who never had a moment's interest in the pop fluff catalog of 1977-era Fleetwood Mac - talk about what it's really like for him to play Say You Love Me and Everywhere every night? He can't be enjoying it - I'd bet my carnival glass on it. He said last year that he "prefers" the Peter Green catalog, but it was practically said as an aside, very politically and subtly, not meant to ruffle any feathers in this walking-on-eggshells environment. (This is the true chicken coop era of the band.) The Fleetwood Mac corporation is going for the blandest possible display of togetherness, and it's really so comical. Don't they realize we're laughing at them, not with them?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-24-2019, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Don't they realize we're laughing at them, not with them?
I don't think they care. Only Lindsey showed real concern for the band's posterity and ongoing reputation. The rest of them prefer to rake in cash from the "I'm-a-casual-listener" masses. What bothers me is not one of the primary sources of music journalism have called them out on this. The presentation has been somewhat neutral while recognizing that Lindsey was their primary creative force. What would have been nice is for, say, Rolling Stone to go on record saying how lame the "new" covers band really is. Christine recently admitted that she's always game to record new work and would be ready at any time to do so, but she sold her soul to the company store (Mick's famed metaphor).

There have been a few accurate articles, one especially from The Guardian. But nothing from all the rags that are too afraid to offend the newly-inducted RRHOF Stevie, her thuggish management team, or the remaining Brits as they disavow the one man who kept them on their toes.

So lame. Lame. Lame. Lame. And dull. Did I mention how dull all of this is?

I'll go listen to BuckVie for the gazillionth time.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How I yearn for the Fleetwood Mac quartet that should have been Lindsey, Christine, Mick and John touring behind new music from 2017 into 2018 and coming out now with their sophomore quartet album.

They did not even have the sense to tour as a Stevie and Christine-fronted quartet with sessionist guitarists. Silly old farts.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I don't think they care. Only Lindsey showed real concern for the band's posterity and ongoing reputation. The rest of them prefer to rake in cash from the "I'm-a-casual-listener" masses.
I agree, Tony. I have nothing against business and nothing against corporations (I work for one), but this is business, and it's impossible to get really excited about it.

In Mike Campbell's case, I said on this forum a year and a half ago (and I haven't changed my mind at all) that he took this gig solely for the money. It isn't his idea of satisfaction playing the guitar part on Little Lies or Say You Love Me night after night. He has no emotional connection to those songs, or to any of Fleetwood's catalog from the American commercial years. That's not his taste. It wasn't the prospect of playing guitar on two or three Peter Green songs in the set that reeled him in - that's an idiotic notion (proposed by some ledgies). And it wasn't the notion of spending a year and a half with his friend Stevie, either (also proposed by some fans). He's had thirty years to spend a whole year with Stevie on any tour he wanted - she'd have brought him into her world the moment he expressed any interest, and he never did. So that's not his reason, either. He simply isn't emotionally invested in any of this. He's just out there this past year for a big paycheck. I have nothing against paychecks, either. But the lasting, most daring, most energetic, and warmest music generally comes out of people who have an emotional connection to what they're doing - even if it's negative emotions. There seem to be no emotions left anymore in Fleetwood Mac, a band that used to be everyone's definition of heart, soul, love, anger, jealousy, and friendship.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-25-2019, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree, Tony. I have nothing against business and nothing against corporations (I work for one), but this is business, and it's impossible to get really excited about it.

In Mike Campbell's case, I said on this forum a year and a half ago (and I haven't changed my mind at all) that he took this gig solely for the money. It isn't his idea of satisfaction playing the guitar part on Little Lies or Say You Love Me night after night. He has no emotional connection to those songs, or to any of Fleetwood's catalog from the American commercial years. That's not his taste. It wasn't the prospect of playing guitar on two or three Peter Green songs in the set that reeled him in - that's an idiotic notion (proposed by some ledgies). And it wasn't the notion of spending a year and a half with his friend Stevie, either (also proposed by some fans). He's had thirty years to spend a whole year with Stevie on any tour he wanted - she'd have brought him into her world the moment he expressed any interest, and he never did. So that's not his reason, either. He simply isn't emotionally invested in any of this. He's just out there this past year for a big paycheck. I have nothing against paychecks, either. But the lasting, most daring, most energetic, and warmest music generally comes out of people who have an emotional connection to what they're doing - even if it's negative emotions. There seem to be no emotions left anymore in Fleetwood Mac, a band that used to be everyone's definition of heart, soul, love, anger, jealousy, and friendship.
hmmm... I think that played a key role in getting him to accept, but it seemed like (especially in the CBS morning interview) that he was at a bit of a loose end after Tom's death and foundering a bit and Stevie played on the whole thing of 'gotta stay busy, keep moving forward, can't get too deep into mourning for the past'. His own comment was that he'd never thought he'd be doing big rock n roll again, the whole private jet thing etc etc. I think she played on this to push him to see that he could go on even w/out Tom (this is how she would have sold it to him that is) blah blah blah, seeming to look out for her friend while really looking out for herself.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Absolutely. I don’t blame him. If it weren’t him, some other guitarist would have gotten the gig, possibly Waddy. But man, what a bore all of this is.