The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I posted the article. Yes, it's a very positive review of the present band's live shows that acknowledges none of this would have been possible without Lindsey.

It rightfully respects Flynn and Campbell, who are not responsible for this mess.

What it doesn't do--because it can't--is address where the heck this band will go beyond what it's doing right now. Besides making money on a very presentable package, what's next?

If there's no discussion of new music, Why bother?

If there is, by some miracle, even a few new songs, there would need to be an honest assessment of that new music in light of previous achievements under the guitarist they fired.

I guess what I'm saying is, a positive review like this is only addressing a single night's entertainment, allowing masses of casual fans who want to hear the songs they sort of adore when they're in the mood for them a night of bliss. Bravo.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
but this tour is STALE. It's the same show.
It would have been even more stale if Lindsey had been there.

Quote:
Cambpell and Finn are Burnette and Vito replicas.
LOL! Hardly. Fleetwood Mac won’t be the biggest thing they’re remembered for, unlike Billy and Rick. There is a lot more potential with them.

Quote:
Same sets. Same songs. Same wardrobe.
Again, how would that have been different with Lindsey? If anything, that would have applied even more so. And, Mike most definitely doesn’t wear the same thing night after night.

Quote:
Tom Petty tribute? Yawn. Like can't they do Angel or Crystal or something.
With Stevie and Mike on stage together, it would have been weirder if they hadn’t said something. And anyway, Tom played a Fleetwood Mac song for years, so it seems appropriate.

Quote:
Like this is what we got? Lame.
It was more interesting early on for me. The Louisville show will probably go down as my favorite Fleetwood Mac show ever. Just hearing Christine actually solo on a few songs was worth it.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-01-2019, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I posted the article. Yes, it's a very positive review of the present band's live shows that acknowledges none of this would have been possible without Lindsey.

It rightfully respects Flynn and Campbell, who are not responsible for this mess.

What it doesn't do--because it can't--is address where the heck this band will go beyond what it's doing right now. Besides making money on a very presentable package, what's next?

If there's no discussion of new music, Why bother?

If there is, by some miracle, even a few new songs, there would need to be an honest assessment of that new music in light of previous achievements under the guitarist they fired.

I guess what I'm saying is, a positive review like this is only addressing a single night's entertainment, allowing masses of casual fans who want to hear the songs they sort of adore when they're in the mood for them a night of bliss. Bravo.
Other than tour profits for as long as they are physically able to take the stage, I don’t think this band is striving for anything more. I don’t think they want to go beyond that. They want accolades for their past, but aren’t looking to gain new ones, for new achievements.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

LOL! Hardly. Fleetwood Mac won’t be the biggest thing they’re remembered for, unlike Billy and Rick. There is a lot more potential with them.

Again, how would that have been different with Lindsey? If anything, that would have applied even more so. And, Mike most definitely doesn’t wear the same thing night after night.

With Stevie and Mike on stage together, it would have been weirder if they hadn’t said something. And anyway, Tom played a Fleetwood Mac song for years, so it seems appropriate.

It was more interesting early on for me. The Louisville show will probably go down as my favorite Fleetwood Mac show ever. Just hearing Christine actually solo on a few songs was worth it.
After seeing the Boston show last night, I can faithfully say it was WEIRD. I have seen every Mac/Stevie/Lindsey show in the Boston area since 97. This byfar was the most depressing incarnation.

I was actually pumped up to see Stevie/Christine. I was going into it as "well this is the last time you're gunna see a few of these guys so you better go." But as The Chain started, there was a GLARING absence. Obviously, this was a personal issue. Plenty of fans didn't even realize Lindsey was missing. The couple behind us were discussing it, saying "they were all together the last time they were here. They had just started touring."

It was sad. The whole night all I could think about was Lindsey being gone. It just didn't seem right.

Stevie was a mess. Her ear monitors were all messed up for probably the first 5-10 songs. You could tell she was tired. Rightfully so after her Induction ceremony.

While I couldn't bring myself to not go, there was just such an obvious void for me. I thought the whole time about what they did to Lindsey and how they couldn't make it work. It seemed like he had never existed and that Mike/Neil had always been there. No offense to either of these guys, they surely hold their own, but it just didn't seem appropriate in this context.

To your point Steve, I will reiterate, there was no deep cut that "did it" for me. Isn't it Midnight could have done it, but that is a lost dream.

One interesting point, after World Turning, John McVie walked up to a microphone and introduced Mick. I almost fell over, probably the most shocking point of the night.

Again, was it a bad show? No. Was it weird? Yes. One fan said he "entered with trepidation" and I agree with that statement. I was actually expecting to have a good time, but there was a malaise of sadness I simply could not get over. I did enjoy a few numbers: "The Chain, Little Lies, Everywhere, and even Say You Love Me" were all strong.

My mother, who is a huge Lindsey fan and was with me, couldn't get over his absence.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is interesting about John. Did it seem to be a joke between them?

I always got a kick when Christine would say it was herself, if Lindsey didn’t say it. Like, her song would end and she would expect him or someone to say “Christine McVie” and they didn’t. So, she would say it.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
That is interesting about John. Did it seem to be a joke between them?

I always got a kick when Christine would say it was herself, if Lindsey didn’t say it. Like, her song would end and she would expect him or someone to say “Christine McVie” and they didn’t. So, she would say it.
No, he didn't have a smirk or anything. Just kind of walked up and did it. It's funny you mention a joke because I thought the same thing about the Philly show, with John meandering all over the stage during Go Your Own Way. I really felt like he lost a bet or something. After his solo part in Gold Dust Woman, he did a prolonged sort of pointing motion to Stevie and they both chuckled.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have seen every Mac/Stevie/Lindsey show in the Boston area since 97. This byfar was the most depressing incarnation.
You would have loved the 94-95 lineup…

Quote:
To your point Steve, I will reiterate, there was no deep cut that "did it" for me. Isn't it Midnight could have done it, but that is a lost dream.
If I’m being honest, Rick Vito played it better.

Quote:
One interesting point, after World Turning, John McVie walked up to a microphone and introduced Mick. I almost fell over, probably the most shocking point of the night.
Quote:
After his solo part in Gold Dust Woman, he did a prolonged sort of pointing motion to Stevie and they both chuckled.
John has been introducing Mick, who then introduces everyone else. John pointing at Stevie during GDW is also pretty common. He did that at the Columbus show.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-02-2019, 12:49 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
OMG, I die... Would love to witness this.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Probably. His past bunch of tours with the band were all built on the Rumours core set: choice of material, presentation of it, set structure, and so on.

Quote:
Fleetwood Mac won’t be the biggest thing they’re remembered for, unlike Billy and Rick. There is a lot more potential with them.
Potential for what? Playing Say You Love Me or Dreams calypso style?

Quote:
The Louisville show will probably go down as my favorite Fleetwood Mac show ever.
Well, it's certainly a great big world out there.

Quote:
Just hearing Christine actually solo on a few songs was worth it.
I've seen only some of the YouTube vids, but her soloing on BMW is pretty pallid and nothing to get excited about. Her blues licks were a lot more effective (and louder) on Stop Messin' Round in 1990, for one. That excited audiences. And she did tougher work on Don't Stop's lead-out in 1997.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Potential for what? Playing Say You Love Me or Dreams calypso style?
Making a good new album.

Quote:
I've seen only some of the YouTube vids, but her soloing on BMW is pretty pallid and nothing to get excited about. Her blues licks were a lot more effective (and louder) on Stop Messin' Round in 1990, for one. That excited audiences. And she did tougher work on Don't Stop's lead-out in 1997.
And that was 22-32 years ago. I’d written off ever seeing her again, now she’s playing solos reminiscent of 1972. Not bad, not bad…Certainly wouldn’t have happened under different circumstances.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-02-2019, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Making a good new album.

And that was 22-32 years ago. I’d written off ever seeing her again, now she’s playing solos reminiscent of 1972. Not bad, not bad…Certainly wouldn’t have happened under different circumstances.
I wonder if they all were held hostage by Lindsey's moods and anger for years and now he is gone we are seeing a slow coming back to life by Chris and the rest of the four.

Last edited by mitzo; 04-02-2019 at 09:00 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 04-26-2019, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
I wonder if they all were held hostage by Lindsey's moods and anger for years and now he is gone we are seeing a slow coming back to life by Chris and the rest of the four.

LOL coming from the person who just spent days whining about people coming over to the Stevie forum to dare speak negatively about Stevie and how all that negativity ruined the ledge. LMAO.

Last edited by BigAl84; 04-26-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Old 04-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't understand how all this crap about stale setlists falls back on Lindsey's shoulders.

Even the "new band" introduced "deep cuts" and guess what? those were cut too and replaced with "Gypsy"

That argument is complete bunk, IMO.

I'd bet some coin that it wasn't Lindsey's choice to cut "Running Through The Garden" or "Destiny Rules" in 2003/2004.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I don't understand how all this crap about stale setlists falls back on Lindsey's shoulders.

Even the "new band" introduced "deep cuts" and guess what? those were cut too and replaced with "Gypsy"

That argument is complete bunk, IMO.

I'd bet some coin that it wasn't Lindsey's choice to cut "Running Through The Garden" or "Destiny Rules" in 2003/2004.
Didn't Mick mention in an interview that he wanted to put "Sisters" back in the set...this had to be in 2009 because I don't think it was during the SYW era. And he said "someone" vetoed him. I really can't imagine that was Lindsey's doing. Obviously, at some point "someone" was convinced to bring it back in 2013.

These people are conservative and boring in their song choices in general. Blaming Lindsey makes the least amount of sense. He has demonstrated a willingness to go out and play new songs and pull out obscure tunes. My problem with his choices is he gets hell bent on sticking with them - I Know I'm Not Wrong" being a prime example. Pull it out for a tour or two, but there are other options from the same album that could have been played as time went on.

The present incarnation of Fleetwood Mac had a perfect opportunity to shake the set up. They did briefly, and then almost immediately, they took most of the interesting choices and got rid of them. And, for the life of me, I will never understand how Christine continues to ignore her pre-1975 catalog. She has AMAZING songs that have been ignored for most of her career and instead chooses to play something off of Time on this tour.

Last edited by jmn3; 04-27-2019 at 07:21 AM..