User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Question 1984 solo tour dates

I need some help solving a mystery. I have always been curious and wanted to know all the Christine 1984 solo tour dates. This tour was under the radar and did not have great attendance in some cities. I don't know if some dates were cancelled. This was pre-internet so it makes tracking such dates even harder. I grew up in western PA in an area they call the "Tri-state area." Its only about 90 minutes to West Virginia or Ohio. I could even get a Morgantown WV radio station. I distinctively remember Chris's tour being announced at Charlston WV. I was 14 and I remember wishing I was old enough to drive and had a car because I would have taken the long drive to Charlston, WV. I cannot find any information online that concert ever happened. No reviews no advertisements. I even found a link to a list of concerts in Charlston in 1984 and Chris was not on it. Was it such a blip that it was forgotten about or was it cancelled? Another oddity is where her tour started. On March 14, 1984 Christine McVie was one of the lead features on Entertainment Tonight. They announced the Fleetwood Mac member was hitting the road as a solo artist. It was quite the segment and showed Chris and her band on stage. Her hair was blown out and she had all these flowers on her mic like the Mirage show. She had that side pony tail in her hair too. They showed people up to the stage so was this an actual concert which it surely looked like or was it a tour rehearsal? For some reason my memory thinks it was in CA and possibly San Francisco. The E.T. segment is a factual thing and you can see the date online but no clips available but i remember watching it in real time and getting excited because in less than 2 months she would be in my town. Of all the dates you can find online, she plays only 1 show in CA? That would make no sense since CA was sort of a home base for her. Fleetwood Mac was a west coast kind of band. Here are the only dates I could find online. Does anyone know anyone that was at a show that is not listed? I am not counting the Country Club since it was not part of the tour. However is it possible E.T. was using the Country Club footage while announcing the tour? Its possible but she has no flowers on her mic and she has no pony tail in that show. But would not Chris make more than one stop in the major market of CA? I know this is a long shot, but anyone has info please share.

April 16, 1984 – Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA
April 28, 1984 – Omaha Civic Auditorium, Omaha, NE
April 29, 1984 – Des Moines Civic Center, Des Moines, IA
April 30, 1984 – Uptown Theater, Kansas City, MO
May 4, 1984 – Performing Arts Center, Milwaukee, WI
May 5, 1984 – DeVos Performance Hall, Grand Rapids, MI
May 9, 1984 – Agora, Cleveland, OH
May 11, 1984 – Stanley Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA
May 13, 1984 – Orpheum Theatre, Boston, MA
May 14, 1984 – Beacon Theatre, New York, NY
May 18, 1984 – Six Flags Great Adventure, Jackson, NJ
May 19, 1984 – Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA
May 31, 1984 – Sunrise Musical Theater, Sunrise, FL
June 2, 1984 – Unknown Venue, Chicago, IL
June 3, 1984 – Kings Dominion Amusement Park, Doswell, VA
June 9, 1984 – Houston Music Hall, Houston, TX
June 11, 1984 – Majestic Theatre, San Antonio, TX
June 15, 1984 – Universal Amphitheatre, Universal City, CA
Old 03-02-2024, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have 2 live shows from her solo concert . The only info listed on the discs is…..

12/83 LA Country Club

Chicago 1984
Old 03-02-2024, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

At least 2 venues doesn't exist anymore. Universal Amphitheatre and Sunrise Musical Theater. It makes me nostalgic when I realize those kind of things. And the fact Christine is not anymore with us...
Old 03-02-2024, 04:04 PM
soul_drifter333
This message has been deleted by ThePenguin.
Old 03-02-2024, 04:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Rz?usp=sharing

I bought a poster and t-shirt (see link). I thought that the t-shirt might have the tour dates on the back, but it does not. She did not have a tour program at the show I went to. Shocking that I was ever that tiny.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
At least 2 venues doesn't exist anymore. Universal Amphitheatre and Sunrise Musical Theater. It makes me nostalgic when I realize those kind of things. And the fact Christine is not anymore with us...
Many more than just 2. I would expect most of them to be gone or at least somewhat different. The Stanley Theater was listed as the best venue for concert acoustics in the 1970s. The Mac played there several times. The theater was converted into the Benedum Center for the preforming arts and does not do concerts anymore.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For a musician like Christine, who was a road warrior, this tour was extremely short. And only one California date?

I attended the San Antonio show on June 11. The concert was phenomenal, and the sound was great! But - The theater was half empty and ticket sales were dismal. The show received very little promotion. Her booking agent should have been fired.

Last edited by WatchChain; 03-02-2024 at 10:39 PM..
Old 03-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
For a musician like Christine, who was a road warrior, this tour was extremely short. And only one California date?

I attended the San Antonio show on June 11. The concert was phenomenal, and the sound was great! But - The theater was half empty and ticket sales were dismal. The show received very little promotion. Her book agent should have been fired.
Most of the time, they test a show with a few dates, and then add dates if needed. They didn't need more, unfortunately. Our heroine should've spun around like a drunken sailor more.

There's no accounting for taste.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was at the June 3, 1984 – Kings Dominion Amusement Park, Doswell, VA and the show was amazing.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
I don't remember the date, but I saw her at Carowinds. It's a amusement park at the NC/SC state line. It is medium size outdoor venue that was separate from the park. There was a good crowd. .

Edit: this site said it was Sat Jun 2 1984

https://www.tourdatesearch.com/tourd...hristine-mcvie
That makes sense and it appears the Chicago date is wrong then. She was at an amusement park in VA on June 3 so being in NC the previous day would make sense.
Your reference tells the story there were more dates than what we can find online. I always figured that. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-03-2024 at 05:29 AM..
Old 03-03-2024, 05:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I attended the San Antonio show on June 11. The concert was phenomenal, and the sound was great! But - The theater was half empty and ticket sales were dismal. The show received very little promotion. Her booking agent should have been fired.
In Pittsburgh it was heavily promoted. Her concert was promoted up and down the music dial: Rock stations, pop stations, and adult contemporary stations and still had a very poor showing. I can still remember the radio drop promoting the concert. "Its going to be hot night in the Steel City, Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac. Then bits of Got A Hold On Me, You Make Loving Fun, Hold Me, One In A Million, Dont Stop, Love will show us how and Over my head were played. I don't think the issue was promotion. Chris was very low key and the caliber she was you would think she could have played arenas. But she had none of Stevie's shtick. Someone with that music catalog and hit records, Grammy winner, and current hit album and songs was confusing it did not have a big lure. I noticed she played several amusement parks which is an easier way to fill seats. It was sad that in that article I posted a few months ago before her Ft Lauderdale show she said she thought there would be more people

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-03-2024 at 05:47 AM..
Old 03-03-2024, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For a musician like Christine, who was a road warrior, this tour was extremely short.
What about her fear of flying? I don't think she'd have been happy going from PA to FL, or from VA to TX to CA by bus. Besides she was already the great Christine McVie so the tour had be organized all the trips by plane. Probably after 20+ dates where most of the destinies were reached by plane, she must have said Enough.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What about her fear of flying? I don't think she'd have been happy going from PA to FL, or from VA to TX to CA by bus. Besides she was already the great Christine McVie so the tour had be organized all the trips by plane. Probably after 20+ dates where most of the destinies were reached by plane, she must have said Enough.
She had a tour bus for this tour. I saw it and it was very fancy and painted with artwork and was named "The Challenge." That also was the name of John McVie's yacht. Did she take it or just the band? I bet Chris traveled with her band but that is just my guess. I dont see her tour as some luxury big budget kind of thing. However she had the money to take private planes anywhere she wanted at any time and she could have done it several times on the tour even though she may have traveled on the bus too. If diva Stevie did a tour on a bus in 1994 then I dont see why Chris could not have done the same thing 10 years earlier.
I am not sure when her fear of flying too over but I think it was becoming evident in 1990. But Chris was a trooper and still flew in 1987, 1988, 1990 and 1997.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
She had a tour bus for this tour. I saw it and it was very fancy and painted with artwork and was named "The Challenge." That also was the name of John McVie's yacht. Did she take it or just the band? I bet Chris traveled with her band but that is just my guess. I dont see her tour as some luxury big budget kind of thing. However she had the money to take private planes anywhere she wanted at any time and she could have done it several times on the tour even though she may have traveled on the bus too. If diva Stevie did a tour on a bus in 1994 then I dont see why Chris could not have done the same thing 10 years earlier.
I am not sure when her fear of flying too over but I think it was becoming evident in 1990. But Chris was a trooper and still flew in 1987, 1988, 1990 and 1997.
Interesting. That makes me think, again, that the fear of flying was real, but not the main reason she left the band in 1997.
Old 03-03-2024, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting. That makes me think, again, that the fear of flying was real, but not the main reason she left the band in 1997.
Chris was more loyal to Fleetwood Mac than anything. By 1990 the road was wearing on her. Besides her fear of flying she could not sleep in a different bed each night so she said she would drink a bottle of wine to fall asleep. Then she was hung over the next day. She was older and the lure of being on the road no longer appealed to her so much. IMHO it shows how much her state of mind was the main reason for giving it up after The Dance. For the first time ever, she said NO to Mick Fleetwood. Was the band only asking for 20 or 30 European dates? I cant remember but it was not something HUGE and she said NO and don't ask me again. IMHO you can see it in her face on the Dance she was not having that much fun. She loved performing but the travel was just too much for her. This is all the reason why her return so many years later was so special. She became a road warrior again doing 3 tours upon her return and 2 of them world tours.
She also said the 1994 CA earthquake really accelerated her return to England. Her house was complete or near completion at that point. She is truly an inspiration to everyone. At her age to over come her fears and hit the road in such an aggressive way was surreal.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-03-2024 at 12:50 PM..