Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-04-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
As I mentioned above, she was lucky to have such a killer backing band. Steve and George aren't Mick and John, but they bring an exuberant attack to the material Fleetwood and McVie do not. Whereas her old bandmates are understated and sly in their sophistication, Hawkins and Ferrone drive the material with a certain slick, LA flair. They're pros but their playing is not anonymous.
It's a split second of less dragging. And it bit more in synch. So when they do jamn, it's blows the roof off. Her timing and playing is a bit more on point if you notice.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's a split second of less dragging. And it bit more in synch. So when they do jamn, it's blows the roof off. Her timing and playing is a bit more on point if you notice.
I do notice! Tight is definitely the word. It lacks the Mac‘s ineffable chemistry, but it rocks hard and pushes forward without, as you say, that brief drag…
Old 05-04-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I do notice! Tight is definitely the word. It lacks the Mac‘s ineffable chemistry, but it rocks hard and pushes forward without, as you say, that brief drag…
It's so nice to watch her keyboard work gel with her band. Years of playing with so many line-ups!!

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 05-04-2023 at 11:15 AM..
Old 05-04-2023, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am really glad Stevie, Christine, and Lindsey all did solo albums in the 80s. We got so many more great songs from all three of them. But I wonder, if there was an album between Mirage and Tango, what it would have been like.
Old 05-04-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
I am really glad Stevie, Christine, and Lindsey all did solo albums in the 80s. We got so many more great songs from all three of them. But I wonder, if there was an album between Mirage and Tango, what it would have been like.
Mixing Go Insane, Wild Heart and Christine McVie would be amazing.

Sable On Blonde already sounds like Christine John and Mick.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
In retrospect, it was that five year period between Mirage and Tango that set a sad precedent for the band's future. Had they done an album in between, they'd have established themselves more fully in the new era.

On the other hand, they also became known as the band whose infrequent projects and reunions were always so celebrated because they were so rare.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
In retrospect, it was that five year period between Mirage and Tango that set a sad precedent for the band's future. Had they done an album in between, they'd have established themselves more fully in the new era.

On the other hand, they also became known as the band whose infrequent projects and reunions were always so celebrated because they were so rare.
It had to be Lindsey's and Stevie's fault. Mick, John or Chris wouldn't have put the band on hold for 5 years.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It had to be Lindsey's and Stevie's fault. Mick, John or Chris wouldn't have put the band on hold for 5 years.
Go Insane is a very good album, so is CM and WH. I'm glad I have these gems.
Old 05-04-2023, 05:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It certainly was their fault. Mick wanted to keep the action going (needed recreation money at the very least), and Christine always said she was raring to go for studio projects.

Stevie was required by contract to produce another solo album (as if we NEEDED Rock a Little?) and Lindsey was hell bent on cultivating his creative freedom (though Go Insane is my least favorite of his albums). The one cool thing that came out of the delay was Christine's 1984 album. Still, I would have preferred a 1984 Mac album. Then the 1987 one. They were always better together.
Old 05-04-2023, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
WH and Christine's album are very good. And we wouldn't have gotten "One in a Million" on a Fleetwood Mac album Lindsey was producing. So, I'm glad to have that. "Ask Anybody" is another gem. And "Smile I Live For"( which might have appeared on a Mac album, had there been one in 1984) is great right where it is.

I'm just not entirely convinced about Go Insane. It's professional. It's slick. It's well-executed. But it just doesn't spark for me. It's a nervous, neurotic record.
Old 05-04-2023, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm just not entirely convinced about Go Insane. It's professional. It's slick. It's well-executed. But it just doesn't spark for me. It's a nervous, neurotic record.
This thread inspired me to revisit it and I was blown away at how it sounds a lot like modern indie rock. I hear bands that sound eerily similar to that album, especially side 2.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-04-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
This thread inspired me to revisit it and I was blown away at how it sounds a lot like modern indie rock. I hear bands that sound eerily similar to that album, especially side 2.
I'm just sayin.. of course the voicings are going to be 80's. But, the arrangement AND running order of the album. The concept of what exactly was going on with his life and his insane need to stay in a relationship. Dennis Wilson, and his Danny Elfman like sound effects. I personally think the nailed it. And it's a clear departure from Law and Order.

He plays and sounds connected to it. It's not a bunch of songs. I love it.
And Tony, we finally disagree on something. Thank God!
Old 05-04-2023, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Especially after the TITN tour. Instead of a GH album four years ahead of the inevitable 25th Anniversary box set, a Stevie solo album, and two godawful concert videos, the lone focus should have been making the best Fleetwood Mac album with the new lineup using the best material from the four writers as possible. Stevie was too diminished for that level of overexposure. That’s what led to their downward spiral.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-04-2023, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never gotten into Go Insane. I had walked away from the band for a couple years when it came out. I own it, of course, but.... meh...I FAR prefer Law and Order. Hands down.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I've never gotten into Go Insane. I had walked away from the band for a couple years when it came out. I own it, of course, but.... meh...I FAR prefer Law and Order. Hands down.
Amen. L and O is so dear to me and so special. It has character.