Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:56 AM
Ledgie

Default Phonogenics 'Time' Podcast - track by track discussion

Hot on the heels of that amazing Bekka Bramlett interview, the crew met to discuss the 'Time' album track by track.

I had never listened to it, and I always wrote it off as garbage. In fact, only one person from the panel had ever heard it. We decided to listen to it together and then all give our initial reactions. Here's what we came up with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvFfPJwI5eE&t=2s
Old 05-11-2023, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with the panel Time is a good album with the exception of Blow by Blow. Christine brought her A game as always. I’m surprised no mentioned that Lindsey is credited as “Additional background Vocal “ on Nothing Without You.
Old 05-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for doing this, Jeremy. It's great that you and your friends went into this with open minds (something that isn't always apparent when discussing this album). I enjoyed your critiques. 8.2 from Jim! I liked the comparison of "Sooner or Later" to "Sands of Time".

I love the fact that we got five pretty good Christine songs out of this project, although it's unfortunate that the guitar duties on her tracks are largely take up by a session player; that there was a bit of an eclectic mix with the other members that occasionally really paid off (I'm thinking of Bekka here) and the weirdness of Mick's track. There's really only one clunker here ( which is 3 or 4 fewer than on BTM) and that's "Blow by Blow".

I agree "All over again" should have closed it.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 05-16-2023 at 10:37 AM..
Old 05-17-2023, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really didn't like the version of "Blow By Blow" that made the album, but the version from "Soccer Rocks The Globe" wasn't that bad. It was way better by comparison.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-18-2023, 03:28 PM
Ledgie

I also sought out the soccer version of "Blow By Blow" - I liked the music better but missed Bekka's harmonies.

The "Time" version sounds like they rolled in the Wild Heart synthesizer into the studio lol!
Old 05-18-2023, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always liked Blow By Blow, JUST FOR BEKKA'S VOCALS on it. That chick is bad ass!
Old 05-19-2023, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Time is my least favorite Mac album. However it has one of my all time favorite Chris tracks. So for that reason alone, the album was worth it. From the first time I heard Nights In Estoril I was hooked. Chris's keyboard melody on this song is haunting and stays in my head. Its vintage Chris but its spectacular. A romantic rocker is some of her best work. When I bought the cassette when it came out (yes I said cassette, I did not own a CD player in my car in 1995) I did not pay close attention to all the liner notes. The song really stood out to me but that was for several reasons. Mostly because it was one of the songs Chris sort of mailed in with studio musicians. That guitar work is really good. It was refreshing to see someone on the panel agree with me that its the album's best track. But others not impressed which always surprises me. Its in my top 10 favorite Chris tracks she has ever recorded. I have never been to Estoril but the song has peaked my interest so much that I have pictures in my mind what it must be like. I think I read somewhere that the place has some of the best sunsets in the world or something. I can see her and Eddy with a glass of wine in some fancy restaurant together.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-19-2023 at 05:36 AM..
Old 05-23-2023, 07:53 AM
Ledgie

Macfan4life - the Chris songs keep growing on me. "Estoril" is so hauntingly beautiful. You feel like you are there with her and Eddie watching that sunset and sharing that bottle of wine.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
Macfan4life - the Chris songs keep growing on me. "Estoril" is so hauntingly beautiful. You feel like you are there with her and Eddie watching that sunset and sharing that bottle of wine.
Its always fun to discover or rediscover songs you may have passed over before. Although this one stuck with me from the beginning. Her keyboard playing is so darn good on the song and she has these fantastic melodies that come out. We will never get any demos from the song or isolated tracks. However listen to this guy attempt to play the keyboard track parts. Gives me goosebumps every time. Its some of her best work and that says alot. I can see her in my mind playing this track on her piano at her former Kent home for Eddy. I would rarely describe one of her songs as haunting. But it has that feel. Her love comes out in some of her songs like You Make Loving Fun, Love In Store, Never Forget, etc. This is one of those songs where you get sucker punched with love. The guitar fade out with "I remember" has an Isn't It Midnight feel ending.
Simply brilliant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l36YoyV3MDo

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-24-2023 at 05:38 AM..
Old 05-24-2023, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
"Estoril" is so hauntingly beautiful. You feel like you are there with her and Eddie watching that sunset and sharing that bottle of wine.
Oh yes! I can imagine theme here at sunset: