The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-09-2024, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always suspected that the guitar on Sara was overdubs.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

The Live album is full of mysteries. Some songs overdubbed while they include a version of Don't Stop where Lindsey breaks a string at the end? That was the best version of Don't Stop they had? Also many of the dates are wrong where the songs were recorded. Many of the songs like Rhiannon were from the Rumours tour. I can see why they included them because its the best version but why not include the real recorded date and location? Wasn't Don't Let Me Down again from the 1975 tour?

I prefer the live album version of One More Lonely Night. I get that small venue vibe almost like she's singing at a piano bar. The rawness of the live song adds more depth IMHO. However I would have scrapped it along with Farmers Daughter and Fireflies for The Chain and a Tusk Sisters.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
The Live album is full of mysteries.
Yes, the mystery is HOW they decided the track listing. Though not so mysterious is WHO. According to Mick he was the only one who at the end of Tusk tour he "strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point". And "both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move". So probably he was the one who together with the record company(?) define the track listing. Probably he wanted to show it as a last tour product, so they described the songs with Tusk tour datyes, but to me it's a mystery why they included sound check or rehearsal tracks, and how the rest of the band participated in the final decision knowing some data was false.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Yes, the mystery is HOW they decided the track listing. Though not so mysterious is WHO. According to Mick he was the only one who at the end of Tusk tour he "strongly felt there had to be a live document of the band at this point". And "both John McVie and Lindsey Buckingham thought it was a negative move". So probably he was the one who together with the record company(?) define the track listing. Probably he wanted to show it as a last tour product, so they described the songs with Tusk tour datyes, but to me it's a mystery why they included sound check or rehearsal tracks, and how the rest of the band participated in the final decision knowing some data was false.
While I do think that Mick is a card carrying IDIOT, Live is the one thing on which I agree with him. I'll never forget buying it at K-Mart, the day it was released, and ripping the cellophane wrapper off of those dual 8-tracks on the way to the car, and shoving it into the player!
Old 03-10-2024, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I loved everything about the “Live” release…

1. The timing of it ( didn’t have too wait years)
2. 3 New songs
3. The “live versions” even though a bit touched up like Dance
Old 03-10-2024, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I dont think the tracking is mysterious. The band opened with Monday Morning on the Rumours tour and with Say You Love me on another leg. So IMHO we get both openers to open the album.
Why they included a barely audible Landslide always interested me. It is a good eclectic mix of the band when they were at their best 1977 to 1980. I love it because it showcases the band as a rock band which the band shifted gears for Tusk. They did not include the Tusk singles except for Sara is another oddity. I think most would like Think About Me over Not That Funny. I am thankful Lindsey's cover of Oh Well was captured and released. IMHO its the best version. I think everyone was stoned and did not care that in 25 years the internet would be invented and people found out what they alleged to be recorded when and where was not true. Over My Head is another song from the Rumours or earlier tour. It was never performed on the Tusk tour.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-10-2024 at 12:43 PM..
Old 03-12-2024, 08:55 AM

I can't get enough of this version. It's really "tasty" as Christine would say.
Old 03-13-2024, 12:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Over My Head is another song from the Rumours or earlier tour.
Monday Morning
Say You Love Me
Dreams
Over My Head
Rhiannon
Don’t Let Me Down Again
Don’t Stop

all predate the Tusk tour.

Then we got the deluxe set with a few more pre-Tusk:
Green Manalishi
Gold Dust Woman
Blue Letter

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-13-2024, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Do we know how/why Fireflies, One More Night, and Farmers Daughter came about? Were they working on new songs while on tour? I didn't think they workshopped a lot of material during soundchecks etc. It was always a head scratcher to me that they were coming off such a commercially successful era of touring (Rumours & Tusk) yet they put 3 completely unknown tracks onto a live album. Were they trying to come up with some sort of single to promote it with? Why were they at the Santa Monica Civic Aud for two days directly after the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl? Were they trying to re-record some vocals in a live setting instead of a studio? Is it possible they briefly contemplated putting together a studio album of material to recoup their losses from the mismanagement of the Tusk Tour? SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

Last edited by BigAl84; 03-13-2024 at 12:48 PM..
Old 03-13-2024, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Do we know how/why Fireflies, One More Night, and Farmers Daughter came about? Were they working on new songs while on tour? I didn't think they workshopped a lot of material during soundchecks etc. It was always a head scratcher to me that they were coming off such a commercially successful era of touring (Rumours & Tusk) yet they put 3 completely unknown tracks onto a live album. Were they trying to come up with some sort of single to promote it with? Why were they at the Santa Monica Civic Aud for two days directly after the tour closer at the Hollywood Bowl? Were they trying to re-record some vocals in a live setting instead of a studio? Is it possible they briefly contemplated putting together a studio album of material to recoup their losses from the mismanagement of the Tusk Tour? SO. MANY. QUESTIONS!

I think it was just to make the “Live” album that was only technically pulling from only 3 studio albums a bit more interesting to add some new tracks to make it more marketable.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
I think it was just to make the “Live” album that was only technically pulling from only 3 studio albums a bit more interesting to add some new tracks to make it more marketable.
It's funny that none of us, (Including David 0) have really very little information on this. Steve Mac? Anything to add?
Old 03-14-2024, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in the day there was an industry magazine called Ice Magazine and I read an article about the album. It's been a while, but I though it said that they recorded all shows on the Tusk tour to pulled songs for a live album. I haven't seen any evidence of soundboard recording of all shows from the tour, but who knows maybe there are still some in the vault somewhere. Knowing Lindsey he wouldn't want to release an album without some new material. I think that was the industry standard then even though done of those live tracks had been released before. I've tried looking online for that article, but haven't found it yet.

Back then I usually kept up with release dates and bought albums on the date they were released, but it seems that I remember walking into a Record Bar in the mall and saw the Live album already on the shelf. It hadn't been released more than a few days, but I was pleasantly surprised and excitied. Seems like it was around the holidays. The Live album has always been one of my favorites. At that time you had to rely on bootlegs or a few of the radio shows to hear live performances.I think it's perfect exactly the way it is even though people on here tear it apart and complaint about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's funny that none of us, (Including David 0) have really very little information on this. Steve Mac? Anything to add?
Old 03-14-2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
Back in the day there was an industry magazine called Ice Magazine and I read an article about the album. It's been a while, but I though it said that they recorded all shows on the Tusk tour to pulled songs for a live album. I haven't seen any evidence of soundboard recording of all shows from the tour, but who knows maybe there are still some in the vault somewhere. Knowing Lindsey he wouldn't want to release an album without some new material. I think that was the industry standard then even though done of those live tracks had been released before. I've tried looking online for that article, but haven't found it yet.

Back then I usually kept up with release dates and bought albums on the date they were released, but it seems that I remember walking into a Record Bar in the mall and saw the Live album already on the shelf. It hadn't been released more than a few days, but I was pleasantly surprised and excitied. Seems like it was around the holidays. The Live album has always been one of my favorites. At that time you had to rely on bootlegs or a few of the radio shows to hear live performances.I think it's perfect exactly the way it is even though people on here tear it apart and complaint about everything.
I was wondering if we had any news or bits about the new songs and sound check etc. Cool that you saw the album days after release. What a rush that must have been!
Old 03-14-2024, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Live album got virually no promotion, so it no wonder it didn't do any better. I guess they weren't expecting much. Plus, they were burned out from the tour and I'm sure didn't want to go back to work, especially after the management shakeup.

If this Wikipedia article is to be believed, they recorded over 400 shows between 75-79. That would tie in with all the Tusk shows being recorded. It's a shame we haven't gotten a whole uneidted Tusk show. The extra live disc they included with the Live reisssue is awesome, and it doesn't appear to have any overdubs, but it is created from different shows. We should get a petition going for them to release them all even digitally!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_(Fleetwood_Mac_album)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I was wondering if we had any news or bits about the new songs and sound check etc. Cool that you saw the album days after release. What a rush that must have been!
Old 03-14-2024, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven't listened to "One More Night" in 15 years. Probably more. But I gave the demo a shot, and it's lovely. None of the shrill, whiny vocals on the released version. I can't quite articulate the thought, but there's something about her vocal delivery that reminds me of a Stevie demo. But with better piano playing.