User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Question Ask Anybody or Only Over You

Each song is about Chris's mad love for Dennis Wilson. Each track ends side one of Mirage and her 1984 solo album. Which do you prefer and why?

Dennis died December 28, 1983. He definitely heard Only Over You and Chris had just performed her Country Club appearance 2 weeks before his death but Ask Anybody was not performed. Her album was not released until right after he died. Its possible he never heard Ask Anybody but maybe he still was in certain circles and he got an advance listen to her album before its release.

Both songs are brilliantly written and some of Chris's best work IMHO and that says a lot. They are much deeper than many of her other songs.

Which do you like better and why? Or maybe you don't like either? Why? Only Over You does not attract much love around this board but then again neither does Ask Anybody.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Both are great songs with sweet hooks. But ONLY OVER YOU is nearest and dearest to my heart. John McVie’s bass is wildly out there and lovely on the outro, and the B section (“Angel, please don’t go/I miss you when you’re gone”) is probably my favorite four bars in all of Christinedom. I even prefer the alternative take from the 2016 release; the studio final has great harmony singing but I don’t need that psychopathic pedal-point note on the organ drawing attention to itself like Morse code (I would have left it out or mixed it way lower just to give the barest hint of it) or even Mick’s martial drum roll at the transition. The final mix is too gimmicky for such a winsome song. The song does not benefit from “clever,” humorous production touches.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-29-2021, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David, I wish you would have waited till the end to comment because you have too much influence here Several members praise you and jump on your bandwagon too many times without sharing their opinion

Ask Anybody has the better lyrics IMHO. Instead of a pure love lullaby in Over Over You, we get to see the dark side of Dennis. Everyone telling her she should walk out, and she's hopeful that he will change and they will try again without all the pain. Its pure devotion yet she sees a devil and angel in him. This is a very uniquely written love song. She admits to almost liking the wildness in the relationship....drives her wild.

I will take Lindsey's jam at the end of Only Over You over Steve Winwood's on Ask Anybody. I prefer to sing along with Ask Anybody.

This is an extremely close call. I would have to pick Only Over You because of the music. Its got many classic Mac features from Micks drumming, John's bass and Lindsey's plucking solo at the end. Love Mick's slow drum roll into the last chorus too.

Only Over You gets kicked around these boards all the time but now that David has praised it, I am curious to see what others say

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-29-2021 at 05:21 PM..
Old 10-29-2021, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ask Anybody. Only Over Ewe has grown on me over the years, but I didn't like it for a long time. I've always been prejudiced against songs that are impossible to sing along to. Ewe is impossible for me to hit that high note. That's my criteria, Oh Daddy!
Old 10-29-2021, 08:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ask Anybody. Her vocal on the verses is moody and seductive. Then the chorus opens up in a surprising way, thanks in part to her collaboration with Winwood.

I do like Only Over You, always have, but it’s not as special as Ask…
Old 10-29-2021, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Both are great songs with sweet hooks. But ONLY OVER YOU is nearest and dearest to my heart. John McVie’s bass is wildly out there and lovely on the outro, and the B section (“Angel, please don’t go/I miss you when you’re gone”) is probably my favorite four bars in all of Christinedom. I even prefer the alternative take from the 2016 release; the studio final has great harmony singing but I don’t need that psychopathic pedal-point note on the organ drawing attention to itself like Morse code (I would have left it out or mixed it way lower just to give the barest hint of it) or even Mick’s martial drum roll at the transition. The final mix is too gimmicky for such a winsome song. The song does not benefit from “clever,” humorous production touches.
I dig the organ signal. It’s obsessive, as is the lyric. The drum roll doesn’t bother me but it doesn’t necessarily add to the song.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ask Anybody isn’t even in the same hemisphere.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ask Anybody.

Only Over You is one of the rare misses for me. It’s just kind of there.

Ask Anybody has a couple of great hooks, an unmistakable Steve Winwood solo, and her voice was really powerful. All of the different keyboard layers work well, too.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-30-2021, 06:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Only Over You was always my least favorite song on Mirage. I never liked songs that begin with a vocal with the music. As an early teen I just could not get past the dreamy lullaby to appreciate it. I was 13 and playing Mirage on our stereo and my mother never cared for my music but she came to me and told me what a beautiful song that was playing. I still did not get it or like it much. When I got older and especially after the reissue of Mirage is when I really started to appreciate its finest. It has a bouncy beat at the end and has some incredible harmonies. Like many of Chris's songs, she is in love but someone is mistreating her i.e. They say, I'm a silly girl but I'm not a fool. Sort of reminds me of Say you love me i.e. if you use me again it will be the end of me. She is pouring out her love but does mention she is aware of something wrong in the relationship.
I always loved Ask Anybody. Brilliantly written and the song really makes you feel what Christine is feeling. It also transformed live pretty well. There is a video on youtube of this song from her 1984 tour. Its Chris against the world in the song but she is standing by her man. I forgot but Mick plays drums on Ask Anybody.
Dennis was heavily into drugs like heroin, acid, and cocaine but he also had to be very nutty. He lived with Charles Manson when they had many women living at the house as servants. The stuff that went on at that house was pretty freaky and eventually led to brutal murder.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-30-2021 at 02:23 PM..
Old 10-30-2021, 03:38 PM

Wow, this is so difficult for me. I'll go with Ask Anybody. It gives me such a melancholic state of mind when I listen to it. It's one of Christine's longer songs, too. I think it comes up on almost 5 1/2 minutes.

It's a beautiful song with a stunning vocals. Winwood on this album is such a treat. It's lovely to see her work with other big artists. The Winwood/McVie collaboration was huge for me as I adore both. Also, I thought their voices worked really well together. One In A Million was fantastic as well.

Only Over You was loved by me the first time I heard it. Another gem that's largely unknown. Two good songs to put up against each other. Christine was really really talented and just kept getting better. I love her BuckVie tunes as well. I hope we hear one last album from her.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ask Anybody would be my pick. I instantly loved this song when I got the album in 1984. Only Over You is my least favorite on Mirage. I have appreciated it over the years but it has been at the bottom of my list of Christine songs from the 1975-1987 era.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
One In A Million was fantastic as well.
Probably my favorite solo song of hers. It just F*CKING ROCKS!!!! The B3 and the guitar runs are phenomenal!
Old 10-31-2021, 04:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Probably my favorite solo song of hers. It just F*CKING ROCKS!!!! The B3 and the guitar runs are phenomenal!
Wonderful. We found a song with guitar playing that does not offend you

My local rock station had One In A Million in heavy rotation in February and March 1984.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Wonderful. We found a song with guitar playing that does not offend you

My local rock station had One In A Million in heavy rotation in February and March 1984.
I heard that one on the radio often, too!
Old 10-31-2021, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I heard that one on the radio often, too!
Violet and Blue was out about the same time and I remember on my local rock station them playing Violet and Blue and One In A Million back to back. How cool is that!