User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2023, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Talking David Letterman flap 1986

I remember this in real time and it was hysterical. Letterman's humor is my sense of humor which is why few get me around here. But I found this clip of the multiple days of Letterman beating a dead horse about Stevie Nicks and trying to get her on his show. Someone pieced together all the clips in the ongoing saga. Frontline Managment gave Dave such great material with their idiotic letter he read on the air. Then when he made fun of them they sent another letter denying they ever sent the first letter. Then 10 years later she finally appeared on the show and blamed her silly management.
If you never saw all the clips before, here they are. This was a continued saga all through February 1986. I think her management was terrified of their own client and realized she could never do that show in her state. Timestamp: Its February 1986. Stevie's album already has 2 singles released from it with little or no promo. Instead of rehearsing with her band for the upcoming tour, she is partying her brains out with Tom in Australia. She found out from her doctor that she could die from doing cocaine. Her management forced her to go to rehab later that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abH6X_8ltEM

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-02-2023 at 04:29 PM..
Old 12-03-2023, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I remember this in real time and it was hysterical. Letterman's humor is my sense of humor which is why few get me around here. But I found this clip of the multiple days of Letterman beating a dead horse about Stevie Nicks and trying to get her on his show. Someone pieced together all the clips in the ongoing saga. Frontline Managment gave Dave such great material with their idiotic letter he read on the air. Then when he made fun of them they sent another letter denying they ever sent the first letter. Then 10 years later she finally appeared on the show and blamed her silly management.
If you never saw all the clips before, here they are. This was a continued saga all through February 1986. I think her management was terrified of their own client and realized she could never do that show in her state. Timestamp: Its February 1986. Stevie's album already has 2 singles released from it with little or no promo. Instead of rehearsing with her band for the upcoming tour, she is partying her brains out with Tom in Australia. She found out from her doctor that she could die from doing cocaine. Her management forced her to go to rehab later that year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abH6X_8ltEM

Dave particularly liked to run clips of her from I Can't Wait (her single at the time) but *specifically* he liked to run the clip where she leans to the side and dances and her bosoms are very visible and bouncy. He ran it sooooo many times.... JUST that bit...... "Let's see that again" "Can we see that bit again" type comments. Typical Dave frat boy behavior.
Old 12-03-2023, 03:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Dave particularly liked to run clips of her from I Can't Wait (her single at the time) but *specifically* he liked to run the clip where she leans to the side and dances and her bosoms are very visible and bouncy. He ran it sooooo many times.... JUST that bit...... "Let's see that again" "Can we see that bit again" type comments. Typical Dave frat boy behavior.
I LOVED Dave Letterman during his NBC years. He has my sense of humor, EXACTLY. For his last couple of years on NBC, I have nearly every single monologue on VHS. I'd tape the entire show every night, then start the next night's recording at the end of the previous day's monologue.
That said, he became a BITTER old man on CBS. Bitter isn't funny. I stopped watching but love his early years.
Old 12-03-2023, 05:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, that was his humor. He would beat a dead horse relentlessly. If you just tuned in one night, you would never get the joke. But his loyal audience would fall out of their chairs laughing. The I Cant Wait video clip was played over and over. I think her management thought he was making fun of her. Dave was a big fan and just wanted her on the show. The ridiculous response from Frontline was so silly it added a few good nights of humor. I had completely forgotten about the second letter denying they wrote the first one. On Rockline in 1998 promoting FM Greatest hits, Stevie was asked about it. She said she was in Australia and only getting bits and pieces what was going on. She did not see it and had no clue why he was doing it. But she said in 1988 she would do his show. We just had to wait more than 5 years. This would have been only a two night bit. But the Frontline letters provided several more nights of laughs.
Frontline baby!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-03-2023 at 05:45 AM..
Old 12-03-2023, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The drummer he was talking to is now playing for the Rolling Stones.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-04-2023, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Yes, that was his humor. He would beat a dead horse relentlessly. If you just tuned in one night, you would never get the joke. But his loyal audience would fall out of their chairs laughing. The I Cant Wait video clip was played over and over. I think her management thought he was making fun of her. Dave was a big fan and just wanted her on the show. The ridiculous response from Frontline was so silly it added a few good nights of humor. I had completely forgotten about the second letter denying they wrote the first one. On Rockline in 1998 promoting FM Greatest hits, Stevie was asked about it. She said she was in Australia and only getting bits and pieces what was going on. She did not see it and had no clue why he was doing it. But she said in 1988 she would do his show. We just had to wait more than 5 years. This would have been only a two night bit. But the Frontline letters provided several more nights of laughs.
Frontline baby!
he kind of was, it was a very frat boy, kinda juvenile "ooh look boobs" kind of thing. But for the times I don't think it was mean-spirited. Just juvenile humor.
Old 12-04-2023, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
he kind of was, it was a very frat boy, kinda juvenile "ooh look boobs" kind of thing. But for the times I don't think it was mean-spirited. Just juvenile humor.
Nah. If anything he was being a troll to her management at that point. Dave said he was a big Stevie fan. He tried a way to get her on his show and stated he sat around all weekend waiting to see her new video. Once that ridiculous letter showed up with ridiculous questions like why he would want her on his talk show and to cease talking about her, the troll was on. Gee, she has a new album, how about a little promotion on a huge TV talk show. Her management was crazy. If you tuned in on day 5 then yes someone could think he was poking fun at her. But the bit in its entirety is classic Dave. It would have been a one or two night bit and forgotten about if not for the absurd response for trying to get her on his show.