The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Haim, Lindsey Buckingham and More Musicians on Their Favorite Songs of 2020

https://www.wsj.com/articles/favorit...50?mod=e2twmag

WSJ. MAGAZINE MAGAZINE - CULTURE

Haim, Lindsey Buckingham and More Musicians on Their Favorite Songs of 2020
Thundercat, Julia Michaels and 27 other music industry superstars give WSJ. their picks for the best songs of a tumultuous year.

By Natalia Barr
Dec. 19, 2020 8:30 am ET

The pandemic practically eliminated concert tours, which meant musicians and their fans had to stay home this year. The virus also delayed album releases and other projects. But these constraints pushed artists to come up with innovative ways of recording and performing.To capture a snapshot of a most irregular year in music, WSJ. reached out to musicians, including former Fleetwood Mac vocalist Lindsey Buckingham, pop singer Noah Cyrus and 2021 Grammy-nominated rock band Haim, to find out what their personal favorite songs of 2020 were. Check out their highlights here:

Lindsey Buckingham (rock musician and former vocalist in Fleetwood Mac)
“Fire,” by Waxahatchee

“When I first heard ‘Fire’ on the radio, I was quite taken by the vocal performance—rough and raw, refined and tender all at once. [Singer-songwriter] Katie Crutchfield strikes me as an original, someone I’d love to work with should our paths ever cross.”

Thundercat (bassist, singer and songwriter, whose record It Is What It Is is nominated for the 2021 Grammy Award for best progressive R&B album)
“Crush,” by Mario Judah

WSJ NEWSLETTER
Notes on the News
The news of the week in context, with Tyler Blint-Welsh.

Enter your email
“Dope. He’s bringing a new energy and sound—the whole rap-rock thing is a slippery slope, but Mario is really colliding those worlds in new ways.”

Haim (rock band of sisters Alana, Este and Danielle Haim, who were nominated for two 2021 Grammy Awards, including album of the year for Women in Music Pt. III)
“People, I’ve been sad,” by Christine and the Queens

“This song has pretty much been our mood all year.”

Lil Keed (rapper, most recently on the single “Hey!” with rappers Lil Gnar and Internet Money)
“Trapped In The Sun,” by Future

“This is one of my favorite songs this year off of [Future’s] album High Off Life. Future really gets into a pocket with the beat and his flow on this song. Blast this song in the car or wherever you are and it’s always going to turn you up every single time.”

Melanie C (British singer, best known as Sporty Spice from the pop group Spice Girls. She released her self-titled album in October 2020)
“Lucid,” by Rina Sawayama

“A fresh, upbeat pop banger from one of my favorite new artists with a big future. I love this track and I love Rina—she’s what girl power is all about!”

Julia Michaels (pop songwriter and singer featured on JP Saxe’s “If the World Was Ending,” which is nominated for the 2021 Grammy Award for song of the year)
“More Hearts Than Mine,” by Ingrid Andress

“It’s one of those songs I wish I’d written. The lyrics are so well thought out, and it’s so relatable.”

Sylvan Esso (electronic pop duo of Amelia Meath and Nick Sanborn, who released their third album, Free Love, in September 2020)
“Even I Can See” by Jeff Tweedy

“Most of [our] favorite songs this year dealt with the idea of commitment or the state of the world—or both. (See also “Summer All Over,” by Blake Mills, or “Not a Lot, Just Forever,” by Adrianne Lenker.) This deceptively simple love song by Jeff Tweedy just cuts to the heart of all of it in a way [we] haven’t heard articulated so clearly before. It’s beautiful.”

Conan Gray (pop singer who released his first full-length album Kid Krow in March 2020)
“Invisible String,” by Taylor Swift

“I’m a huge romantic, and this song gives me hope that despite this tumultuous year, maybe there’s some kind of cosmic reasoning to all this and I’ll be able to look back and understand it. That somebody and something is waiting for me on the other side.”

John Rzeznik (frontman of rock band the Goo Goo Dolls, who released a holiday record, It’s Christmas All Over, this fall)
“Circle The Drain,” by Soccer Mommy

“This is one of those songs that sounds sweet and simple on the outside, but when you dig into the lyrics, it reveals a darker, more melancholic side. I love that contrast; it’s something that I really relate to.”

Anna of the North (Norwegian pop singer who released an EP, Believe, in October 2020)
“Something Has to Change,” by the Japanese House

“There’s just something about the Japanese House. Both her melodies and lyrics are so comforting. And I guess we can all agree after a year filled with challenges and important movements, something really has to change.”

SG Lewis (British musician and producer whose debut full-length record, Times, will be released in February 2021)
“On Track,” by Tame Impala

“With ‘On Track,’ Kevin Parker captured the existential feeling that so many people of this generation feel, and paired it with beautiful sonics.”

Benee (New Zealand–based pop singer who released her debut full-length album, Hey u x, in November 2020)
“For Better or Worse,” by Muroki

“My favorite song of 2020 was definitely ‘For Better or Worse,’ by Muroki. I listened to this one every day for possibly three months. I love the groovy indie guitars.”

Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah (jazz artist who is nominated for two 2021 Grammy Awards, including best contemporary instrumental album for Axiom)
“Broad Rock,” by Butcher Brown

“A standout moment for me is the dialogue and conversation the muted trumpet has with the tenor sax throughout ‘Broad Rock.’ It’s the same man playing both instruments—Marcus Tenney. You feel the synergies in approach, but the carriage illuminates an incredible musical mind. Tenney is a standout talent in the sea of uber-gifted rising stars of this music as well: saxophonist, vocalist, MC and one of the most arresting trumpeters to arrive on the scene in years.”

DaniLeigh (singer and rapper who released her second album, Movie, in November 2020)
“You’re Mines Still” by Yung Bleu, featuring Drake

“I love when men sing in a vulnerable state of loving women, and the production and vibe of the track.”

Holly Humberstone (singer-songwriter who released her debut EP, Falling Asleep at The Wheel, in August 2020)
“Garden Song,” by Phoebe Bridgers

“Phoebe’s album Punisher came out... when I was having a bit of a tough time with motivation and being creative. She’s been one of my favorite artists since I was at school, and ‘Garden Song’ in particular just spoke to me and made me feel good about the world again when morale was really low.”

Marcus King (singer-songwriter whose debut solo album, El Dorado, is nominated for best Americana album at the 2021 Grammy Awards)
“Blue Pill Blues,” by Early James

“When I look back on 2020, in the rear view, the song that I’ll hear on my stereo is ‘Blue Pill Blues,’ written and performed by ‘Early’ James Mullis, produced by Dan Auerbach and David ‘Fergie’ Ferguson. I was listening to this album when I found myself trapped in L.A.. In a year that’s offered us a lot of bad news, I choose to remember the good things, and this song is a fine musical representation of the positives that 2020 gave us.”

Kiana Ledé (singer and actress whose debut full-length album KIKI was released in April 2020)
“Lost One,” by Jazmine Sullivan

“This song explores the ego’s role in a breakup, which makes for a great song. [Jazmine Sullivan] is the best singer in the world.”

Aluna (half of English electronic duo AlunaGeorge who released her first solo album, Renaissance, in August 2020)
“Coming Closer,” by Duckwrth, featuring G.L.A.M. and Julia Romana

“This track just keeps turning corners, yet the groove stays infectious throughout. I love being taken for a ride like that where you are surprised enough to keep finding new dance moves, but not so much that you lose the vibe.”

Noah Cyrus (singer who released her new EP, The End of Everything, in May 2020)
“WAP,” by Cardi B featuring Megan Thee Stallion

“I have this song on repeat because not only is it a bop, but I feel confident and strong listening to it. To me, it’s artistic expression and female empowerment at its finest, and it’s refreshing to see two women come together on a song with lyrics you’d typically only hear in a record sung by a male artist.”

Black Pumas (soul band nominated for three 2021 Grammy Awards, including album of the year for the deluxe edition of their self-titled album)
Eric Burton (Black Pumas singer)

“Give Us Justice,” by Thee Sacred Souls

“This is one I’ve heard in passing that has stayed with me throughout the latter half of the year. There’s a reverberation of a familiar cry for justice in all people; especially in people of color around the world and America.”

Adrian Quesada (Black Pumas guitarist)

“500 Dreams,” by Alex Maas

“A late entry that I’m really digging is ‘500 Dreams,’ by Alex Maas, lead singer of the Black Angels, who just released his solo debut. It’s an incredible song that touches on fatherhood in a very sweet way, and it may be the only psychedelic song I know about fatherhood.”

Karen Elson (model and musician who will release a covers EP, Radio Redhead Vol. 1, this month)
“Delete Forever,” by Grimes

“This entire album was a prophecy of the challenges of 2020. All the themes are so relevant to what we are living and simultaneously destroying. I think ‘Delete Forever’ feels like a modern-day version of Neil Young’s “The Needle and the Damage Done.” It rips my heart out. I’ve lost people to drugs and even just the title, ‘Delete Forever,’ is such an evocative title to the philosophical issues that emerge with our lives being more and more controlled by our virtual existence.”

Hit-Boy (hip-hop producer and rapper who most recently released “Codeina Y Jarabe,” with M-boy, featuring Lil Trash)
“Ridin Wit It,” by G Herbo

“I’m gonna have to say ‘Ridin Wit It’ by G Herbo. I like how he expresses himself on there. I felt Chicago in the song.”

Taboo (rapper in pop music group Black Eyed Peas, which released their album Translation in June 2020)
“Dynamite,” by BTS

“This group has become our household favorite because of my wife and my kids. I appreciate the hard work and the talent that BTS brings to the world. We should have a BEP x BTS collaboration in 2021.”

Patty Smyth (singer of 1980s rock band Scandal; solo artist who released It’s About Time in October 2020)
“When You’re My Age” by Lori McKenna

“‘When You’re My Age’ is written by Lori McKenna, Liz Rose and Hillary Lindsey. [Together] they are called the Love Junkies and make the most beautiful songs. This is a mother’s love song to [one of] her kids, and my favorite line goes, ‘When I was your age/I didn’t worry like I think you do/ Back then innocence was something you could hold onto.’ Some days [music is] the only thing that makes me feel OK. I can forget how it lifts me up, even when it’s tearing at my heart. Keep listening, keep singing along. We need every voice these days.”

Lyrica Anderson (songwriter for Beyoncé and Demi Lovato; singer who released her album, Bad Hair Day, in August 2020)
“Laugh Now Cry Later,” by Drake, featuring Lil Durk

“The title of the song has literally been my mood especially during this pandemic. I’ve laughed and I’ve cried. But the song and beat give a sense of motivation; who doesn’t like a good Drake song?”

Listen to the full playlist on Spotify here.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-20-2020, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-20-2020, 02:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Is is just me, or doesn't that first pic look like Kirk Cameron in drag?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Should your paths ever cross? Pick up the phone and call her. Afraid of rejection?
Old 12-20-2020, 03:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Is is just me, or doesn't that first pic look like Kirk Cameron in drag?
don't know who Kirk Cameron is, but that is Christine and the Queens.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 12-20-2020, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
don't know who Kirk Cameron is, but that is Christine and the Queens.
Kid from a sitcom in the 1980's called Growing Pains. I'm telling you, it looks just like him!
Old 12-20-2020, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Should your paths ever cross? Pick up the phone and call her. Afraid of rejection?
haha typical LB, right? actually, i thought him openly inviting a collaboration publicly is already a huge step forward from his normal behavior.

apparently he doesn't get that it's much easier for him / his people to call than to get to him (although the killers apparently knew how to get to him!).

Old 12-22-2020, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see why LB liked this song. The production though modern has elements of what Lindsey would do.