Gold Dust Woman
Sara
Edge
Free Fallin'
Rhiannon
Landslide
Old 03-16-2023, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And also - the boots are not back. Looks like some sort of frankenbock situation but almost looks like tennis shoes. Hey, whatever makes her comfortable on stage I guess we can't complain.
Edit: Apparently in a recorded version of the show I heard on YouTube, she found out she broke one of her toes, so that's why.

Last edited by krrrby; 03-16-2023 at 01:43 AM..
Old 03-16-2023, 03:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Krrrby! The big surprise here is that she added I Sing For the Things. This is a shock because it certainly is a deep cut. It’s also a surprise because of all the solo songs she could have chosen from, this has to be near the bottom of the request list of the fans. I mean, Stevie chose this song over If I Were You? Imperial Hotel? Talk to Me?

And she brought back Soldier’s Angel. I don’t even remember what album this song was on but whichever one it was, it was probably my least favorite song.

So for her solo shows, she brought back Sara, Fall From Grace, and Soldier’s Angel, and added For What It’s Worth and I Sing For the Things.
Old 03-16-2023, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Here is her performance of I Sing For Things. She never knows her own stuff. She claims she did not know when she wrote it and says it was recorded in 1986. It was originally recorded during Wild Heart sessions which is a good version. The song was ruined on RAL and she even speaks ill of that recording. She says here that she does not remember when it was written and was recorded in 1986 when she was not in a good place. It was most likely recorded in 1984 or 1985 for RAL. It was recorded in 1982/1983 for Wild Heart. I always thought I Sing For Things would have made Wild Heart but the bouncy piano that Roy plays made it sound too much like Enchanted. Just my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQN3uO5bkM

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-16-2023 at 05:58 AM..
Old 03-16-2023, 05:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrby View Post
And also - the boots are not back. Looks like some sort of frankenbock situation but almost looks like tennis shoes. Hey, whatever makes her comfortable on stage I guess we can't complain.
Edit: Apparently in a recorded version of the show I heard on YouTube, she found out she broke one of her toes, so that's why.
That must have hurt. Kudos to her for for carrying on.

Did she dedicate Landslide to Christine?

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced

Last edited by The Catdancer; 03-16-2023 at 05:56 AM..
Old 03-16-2023, 06:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Aw she sounds great on “I Sing for the Things!” I’m a huge fan of the Wild Heart arrangement of this song, which this version is clearly inspired by, even if it lacks some of the punch and variety. I wanted a break-down on the last verse and then a build up to a bigger vocal climax with the backup singers at the end (“Anythiiiiiiing….”) Still, good stuff!
Old 03-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm impressed! She does the song justice and it transfers to the stage extremely well, my ears hear bits of both versions in the arrangement. Kudos where it's due for her pulling out a Rock a Little song (although still, not a great album by any stretch) but a reimagining shows the tunes with better arrangements and vocals, were actually pretty good.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Thanks Krrrby! The big surprise here is that she added I Sing For the Things. This is a shock because it certainly is a deep cut. It’s also a surprise because of all the solo songs she could have chosen from, this has to be near the bottom of the request list of the fans. I mean, Stevie chose this song over If I Were You? Imperial Hotel? Talk to Me?

And she brought back Soldier’s Angel. I don’t even remember what album this song was on but whichever one it was, it was probably my least favorite song.

So for her solo shows, she brought back Sara, Fall From Grace, and Soldier’s Angel, and added For What It’s Worth and I Sing For the Things.
I dont think she is proud of her RAL work. She did do No Spoken Word quite a bit. However that was one of the few songs on RAL that she wrote all by herself. Vocally its not bad either. Other than that song, HAEWAFY, and maybe I Sing For The Things (which was written and recorded many years before RAL), she does not care for this album. As much as you like it, you must remember there are many and probably including her that realize its an un-Stevie album. Its a reminder of how unwell she was. She just played a part and filled in the blanks just to finish the album. Hardly something she wants to put in her set. But just for you and the RAL freaks out there, she should do Sister Honey and moonwalk in those high tops.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-16-2023 at 08:27 AM..
Old 03-16-2023, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I dont think she is proud of her RAL work. But just for you and the RAL freaks out there, she should do Sister Honey and moonwalk in those high tops.
I know she’s said in the past her father didn’t like the Other Side of the Mirror, and that she didn’t like Street Angel, so you’re probably right about RAL. And she could sing Sister Honey for myself and other “RAL freaks out there,” but she’d be smarter to sing her last top 10 hit Talk to Me instead.

As for RAL being an un-Stevie like album… that’s probably why I do like it.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know she’s said in the past her father didn’t like the Other Side of the Mirror, and that she didn’t like Street Angel, so you’re probably right about RAL. And she could sing Sister Honey for myself and other “RAL freaks out there,” but she’d be smarter to sing her last top 10 hit Talk to Me instead.

As for RAL being an un-Stevie like album… that’s probably why I do like it.
All of those albums she was heavily addicted to drugs which definitely hurt the quality.
RAL was just a party. She could care less about the sound or song writing
OSOTM she had trouble writing and was too drugged to notice many things
Street Angel was a noble effort but it was her rock bottom.

I dont think she cares for the song Talk To Me. She did it on RAL as necessary promotion and dropped it on her next tour. She dug it out again for her promotion of Timespace since it was one of the songs on the album. Besides Street Angel which she was trying to be relevant again, has she ever performed it again? Her RAL staples in concert have always been No Spoken Word and HAEWAFY.

I always saw the quality of I sing for the things. But always hated the song because of the cheezy electronic bass and other 80s gadgets. It needed to be acoustic or uptempo like on Wild Heart. She sounds so fragile on the RAL version and you can tell not much effort was put into the song. Having said all that, its still in the better half of songs on RAL (which is not saying much).

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-16-2023 at 09:14 AM..
Old 03-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have to say, I listened to the whole show and I was rather impressed with her voice. She jokingly said to the audience that it's a different animal being outdoors vs. indoors, and she loves being indoors. I think it's true, a lot of times when she plays outdoors she's having audio issues or seems to can't hear herself. Her concert in LA with Billy Joel sounded bad to me in a lot of parts. This concert last night she sounded really great and I think not wearing the high heels and despite having a broken toe, she looked like she had some of her mojo back that has seemed a bit lackluster most of last year's concerts.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrby View Post
I have to say, I listened to the whole show and I was rather impressed with her voice. She jokingly said to the audience that it's a different animal being outdoors vs. indoors, and she loves being indoors. I think it's true, a lot of times when she plays outdoors she's having audio issues or seems to can't hear herself. Her concert in LA with Billy Joel sounded bad to me in a lot of parts. This concert last night she sounded really great and I think not wearing the high heels and despite having a broken toe, she looked like she had some of her mojo back that has seemed a bit lackluster most of last year's concerts.
I hate outdoor concerts. This probably also explains why she did not do this song in the giant stadium. Nothing is better than arena rock concerts where you can feel the bass pound off your face.
Old 03-16-2023, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I haven’t seen any concert footage except for the duet with Billy Joel and Landslide. I guess I should at least watch I Sing For the Things before I criticize it, but it’s just such an odd choice. I don’t know, for some reason I’m perplexed as to how or why she chose that song over Sleeping Angel, If I Were You, Battle of the Dragon, heck even anything on the Wild Heart.

It’s like hearing she performed a deep cut FM song and finding out it was When I See You Again- not Angel, not That’s Alright, not Fireflies, not even Freedom, but… When I See You Again?!? And the thing is, that recording is so awful, if she did it live now it would probably sound 100% better, because it couldn’t be worse than the recorded version (no offense to the few fans who may think it’s her best song).

Still, gotta admit one thing- she surprised me by adding that song.
Old 03-16-2023, 01:26 PM
krrrby
This message has been deleted by krrrby. Reason: submitted it wrong
Old 03-16-2023, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I haven’t seen any concert footage except for the duet with Billy Joel and Landslide. I guess I should at least watch I Sing For the Things before I criticize it, but it’s just such an odd choice. I don’t know, for some reason I’m perplexed as to how or why she chose that song over Sleeping Angel, If I Were You, Battle of the Dragon, heck even anything on the Wild Heart.

It’s like hearing she performed a deep cut FM song and finding out it was When I See You Again- not Angel, not That’s Alright, not Fireflies, not even Freedom, but… When I See You Again?!? And the thing is, that recording is so awful, if she did it live now it would probably sound 100% better, because it couldn’t be worse than the recorded version (no offense to the few fans who may think it’s her best song).

Still, gotta admit one thing- she surprised me by adding that song.
It does seem like an odd choice, but I have to say she did the song justice. If she were to re-record that on an album I bet it would sound great.

I don't think she's capable of doing the other songs that you mentioned because she will just be staring at the teleprompter the entire time like a karaoke concert, and she also can't hit a lot of those notes like she used to, unless she brings the key way down. Maybe she thinks they're too deep cuts for the audience anyway.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m as judgmental of Stevie as anyone and in particular her stale ass set lists. But props to her literally debuting a revamped version of a song from a 37 year old album that has never been performed before. It would not be my choice at all but I like the idea of doing this. She has a lot of albums and songs that are forgotten to the masses.