User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
OMG, once you said buggy, I thought maybe you were from Tennessee! They say buggy here, and it drives me crazy! I love britches and fixin', but buggy drives me buggy!

I've always called that piano an upright. Spinet is also a form of upright.

I use sweeper and vacuum interchangeably.

I also use both pop and soda.

And have been told that I actually have zero accent. Undetectable.

Where do you live now?
One difference that I noticed is that south of the Mason Dixon line more or less is that people call a grocery bag a sack. I once asked a girl while in the Ozarks and while holding a grocery bag "isn't this a bag'" and she replied "no a bag is an old lady".

Old 02-14-2021, 12:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
One difference that I noticed is that south of the Mason Dixon line more or less is that people call a grocery bag a sack. I once asked a girl while in the Ozarks and while holding a grocery bag "isn't this a bag'" and she replied "no a bag is an old lady".
On the rare occasion that I get a young clerk that looks like they have a sense of humor, when they ask if I want a bag, I'll say, "no thanks, I'm married, and she's at home".

Almost nobody ever gets it, but I'll spend the rest of the day laughing.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
OMG, once you said buggy, I thought maybe you were from Tennessee! They say buggy here, and it drives me crazy! I love britches and fixin', but buggy drives me buggy!

I've always called that piano an upright. Spinet is also a form of upright.

I use sweeper and vacuum interchangeably.

I also use both pop and soda.

And have been told that I actually have zero accent. Undetectable.

Where do you live now?
I'm in Miami now. There is actually a Pittsburgh accent. Bill Cowher is the poster child for that accent. I don't think I have one but a few years ago I went to an eye doctor here in Florida and he asked me if I was from Pittsburgh. I was shocked. He was from Pittsburgh and picked up on it. We both had not lived there for a quarter century.
Yes we say pop too. TN is also part of the Appalachian valley.
Its hilarious you say sweeper because NO ONE knows what the hell I am talking about. I thought that was only a W/PA thing but apparently not.
Now here is the kicker. Even though I grew up only an hour from the W/VA border, we really thought they were inbreds and had a million jokes about West Virginia. Remember the MTV show Buckwild? It was the Jersey Shore of W/VA. It actually got cancelled because it was so controversial. Anyway, about 15 years ago when it was on I was flicking past the channels and it was on. All their crazy stuff I was like OMG, we did that too. That's when it hit me, OMG we are the same!
Now the million dollar question. Do you know what tick tacking is?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-14-2021 at 01:12 PM..
Old 02-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I'm in Miami now. There is actually a Pittsburgh accent. Bill Cowher is the poster child for that accent. I don't think I have one but a few years ago I went to an eye doctor here in Florida and he asked me if I was from Pittsburgh. I was shocked. He was from Pittsburgh and picked up on it. We both had not lived there for a quarter century.
Yes we say pop too. TN is also part of the Appalachian valley.
Its hilarious you say sweeper because NO ONE knows what the hell I am talking about. I thought that was only a W/PA thing but apparently not.
Now here is the kicker. Even though I grew up only an hour from the W/VA border, we really thought they were inbreds and had a million jokes about West Virginia. Remember the MTV show Buckwild? It was the Jersey Shore of W/VA. It actually got cancelled because it was so controversial. Anyway, about 15 years ago when it was on I was flicking past the channels and it was on. All their crazy stuff I was like OMG, we did that too. That's when it hit me, OMG we are the same!
Now the million dollar question. Do you know what tick tacking is?
I grew up(HA) in central Indiana. I have a house there and a condo in Nashville, and go back and forth every couple of weeks. It's only a 3.5 hour drive.

I went to France in high school, and there were a bunch of girls from New Jersey who told me I sounded like a big hillbilly. That instantly made me aware of my accent, and I lost it. Although if I'm hanging out with redneck guys, I use it for them.

I say pop more than soda, but catch myself saying both.

I have a good friend from WV, and we joke about it a lot!

I don't remember Buckwild. I live under a cultural rock(notice how I specialize in listening to 40yo bands?).

I've never heard of tick tacking? Fun with Tic Tacs(candy mints)?
Old 02-14-2021, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I grew up(HA) in central Indiana. I have a house there and a condo in Nashville, and go back and forth every couple of weeks. It's only a 3.5 hour drive.

I went to France in high school, and there were a bunch of girls from New Jersey who told me I sounded like a big hillbilly. That instantly made me aware of my accent, and I lost it. Although if I'm hanging out with redneck guys, I use it for them.

I say pop more than soda, but catch myself saying both.

I have a good friend from WV, and we joke about it a lot!

I don't remember Buckwild. I live under a cultural rock(notice how I specialize in listening to 40yo bands?).

I've never heard of tick tacking? Fun with Tic Tacs(candy mints)?
Yes, that is a western PA saying and was shocked no one else knows what that means. I had hope with you since you are the first person out of W/PA that calls a vacuum a sweeper.
Buckwild was on MTV shortly after Jersey Shore hit. It was the West Virginia version of Jersey Shore. They did all sorts of crazy backwoods stuff and people freaked out because it was giving W/VA a bad reputation.
Tic Tacking is something youngers do at Halloween to annoy their neighborhood.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, that is a western PA saying and was shocked no one else knows what that means. I had hope with you since you are the first person out of W/PA that calls a vacuum a sweeper.
Buckwild was on MTV shortly after Jersey Shore hit. It was the West Virginia version of Jersey Shore. They did all sorts of crazy backwoods stuff and people freaked out because it was giving W/VA a bad reputation.
Tic Tacking is something youngers do at Halloween to annoy their neighborhood.
SINCE you're from PA, do you play the card game euchre? It originated with the Pennsylvania Dutch, and pretty much only people from PA,OH, and IN have ever heard of it.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
SINCE you're from PA, do you play the card game euchre? It originated with the Pennsylvania Dutch, and pretty much only people from PA,OH, and IN have ever heard of it.
No. Never heard of it. PA Dutch are out east. I am from the west. We did play a card came Pig with spoons though
Old 02-14-2021, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have played euchre..but I was born in the Philly burbs. I have also eaten scrapple.

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 02-14-2021 at 04:10 PM..
Old 02-14-2021, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really? I also googled and only saw a piano bench too. Where I come from, we call the upright piano a bench piano. It looks like a bench, no?

In grade school, the music teacher would push in the bench piano to the classroom and she/he would play music and we would sing. After class the teacher would say, can someone help Ms Rogers push the bench piano.

Where I come from we also refer to shopping carts as buggies
We call rubber bands gum bands
We call a vacuum a sweeper
We don't call icy roads slippery....we say slippy

I am originally from western PA and the Appalachian valley region has their own speak.
I've been in Pittsburgh for ten years and I still hear the accent from my friends and coworkers here regularly. The first time I heard a coworker say "Dahhhnntahhhnn" I was so confused. So, three of those things I've ONLY heard in WPA, but I will say my upstate/western NY family has often used sweeper for the vacuum. My grandma would always say she had to "run the sweeper."
Old 02-14-2021, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have played euchre..but I was born in the Philly burbs. I have also eaten scrapple.
Euchre is basically the reason my family gets together for the holidays...

"You finished eating? CLEAR THE TABLE!"
Seriously.

I've never had scrapple before, but I'd try it. I love chicken gizzards and livers. And also braunsweiger! I've got the hillbilly taste buds.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Euchre is basically the reason my family gets together for the holidays...

"You finished eating? CLEAR THE TABLE!"
Seriously.

I've never had scrapple before, but I'd try it. I love chicken gizzards and livers. And also braunsweiger! I've got the hillbilly taste buds.
Isn't scrapple a board game?

Old 02-14-2021, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Only in West Virginia, with your third cousin, twice removed!
Old 02-14-2021, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

You need to get east more.You can have some scrapple and hoagies with tastykakes for dessert all washed down with Wawa's homogenized milk!

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 02-14-2021 at 05:48 PM..
Old 02-14-2021, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You need to get east more.You can have some scrapple and hoagies with tastykakes for dessert all washed down with Wawa's homogenized milk!
isn't that 'warshed' down? At least that's how my family in eastern PA (Harrisburg) speak. Though that's a bit more south/central PA....
Old 02-14-2021, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
isn't that 'warshed' down? At least that's how my family in eastern PA (Harrisburg) speak. Though that's a bit more south/central PA....
Hillbillies are everywhere. My aunt used to say earl barrel for oil barrel. Ty oh tee for Toyota, and always called Oprah O fra.

You can choose your neighbors, but you can't choose your family!