Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Excerpt from Delta Rae review]

Creative Loafing March 7, 2013 by Jordan Lawrence

http://clclt.com/charlotte/can-delta...nt?oid=3031076

Take the band's recent collaboration with Lindsey Buckingham. As pop innovators go, few have proven as ambitious or successful as Buckingham. As the guitarist for Fleetwood Mac, he helped produce the lush sound that made Rumours, in 1977, one of the most successful LPs of all time. The group's 1979 follow-up, Tusk, saw him taking total control of production, fusing the Mac's stadium pop with aggressive psychedelic flourishes and the modular style pioneered by The Beach Boys, creating a truly unique mix of contrasting elements that he has continued to refine in his subsequent solo career.

He joins Delta Rae for the radio release of "If I Loved You," a particularly uninspired bit of saccharine folk-pop from Carry the Fire. Buckingham does his best to invigorate the tune, replacing the original's placid strumming with nervy jangles that move with the Mac's lively bounce, but all this accomplishes is to highlight how cloying Delta Rae's emotional knee jerks are next to a band so profoundly dramatic as Fleetwood Mac.
Well, I really like that song (the one with LB in it). I think the lyrics are unique and they all have beautiful singing voices, especially the women. LB as usual brings his spark to the song, and I think I can see why he chose to work on that song based upon it's theme.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From a Delta Rae interview by the GW Hatchet, February 3, 2014

http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/btb/2014/...p-and-touring/

Hatchet: Can you tell me a little about your new EP, “Chasing Twisters,” and how it’s different from your first album?

Hopkins: “Chasing Twisters” came out in November. It’s a five song collection with a rerecording of “Dance in the Graveyards,” which we also had on our debut album “Carry the Fire.” This recording is a little more robust and loud and more true to form in the way the song ended up evolving live. And then we have “If I Loved You,” which is our current single, which we were very fortunate to have Lindsey Buckingham play twelve-string guitar, and join us and collaborate with us on that. That was a dream come true that I think all of us still have a hard time believing. That such a legendary guitar player from a band that we all really respect wanted to work with us on that song. And the title track, “Chasing Twisters,” which has a cow-boy feeling to it, very western, and makes me think about rolling, south-western landscapes. And this song was really inspired on some of the nights that we were driving through the Southwest when we were on tour. And then you’ve got “Run,” which is this super high energy, big, percussive, triumphant, joyful, anthem. Anyway, we are really excited about this EP and it’s the material we are most proud of to date, and it’s really just an appetizer for our album, which is going to be coming out in Fall. And this album is full of songs that we never have performed live for anyone that we’ve currently are getting ready for the road. And we are really excited for the “Chasing Twisters” tour. It’s a new phase for Delta Rae that’s more passionate, and bigger.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeshere View Post
Well, I really like that song (the one with LB in it). I think the lyrics are unique and they all have beautiful singing voices, especially the women. LB as usual brings his spark to the song, and I think I can see why he chose to work on that song based upon it's theme.
I love that he seems to do that. I was thinking about that with White Houses by Vanessa Carlton recently.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
I love that he seems to do that. I was thinking about that with White Houses by Vanessa Carlton recently.
he chose to work on Delta Rae song because Cavallo probably asked him to do it as a favor. (Cavallo produced that Delta Rae song... as listed in his grammy nomination.)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 02-04-2014 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 02-04-2014, 07:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually Lindsey was working in the same studio as Vanessa and her ex- her ex asked Lindsey to come listen to some of her music.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i wish some interesting people / bands find a way to get access to him the way these few people have.

i have to give credit to Grohl for probably getting Lindsey and Trent in touch while they were all being interviewed for Sound City. i was hoping some of the other interesting people in that movie get connected to Lindsey somehow. because it seems when someone manages to find him, he rarely says no.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i wish some interesting people / bands find a way to get access to him the way these few people have.
I agree. What a waste.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
he chose to work on Delta Rae song because Cavallo probably asked him to do it as a favor. (Cavallo produced that Delta Rae song... as listed in his grammy nomination.)
Oops, I was at field hockey practice, checked my phone too quickly on the last reply- thought you were referencing the Vanessa Carlton song since that was the one I had mentioned. But, you made me curious how Delta Rae came about-

http://www.elle.com/news/culture/del...ters-interview

s
The open road has been a bottomless source of inspiration for countless songwriters, but few bands tap into its mystery and magnitude quite like the rocking country crooners of Delta Rae. Though they originally hail from the South—North Carolina, to be exact—the members of Delta Rae have lapped the country on countless tours since the release of 2011's Carry the Fire. It's these treks through wild plains and desolate deserts that have inspired their hotly anticipated EP, Chasing Twisters. You can hear it in the twang of their soaring voices, the cowboy-esque whistles, and the straightforward country sound; but it's their lyrics—and their ability to weave the imagery of their travels into each verse—that sets them apart.

This penchant for enchantment attracted the attention of Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac, who lent his guitar-picking talents to their epic ballad of a single, "If I Loved You,"
and it's what brought Brittany Hölljes, Ian Hölljes, Eric Hölljes, Elizabeth Hopkins, Mike McKee and Grant Emerson out of North Carolina and into the national spotlight. Hölljes and Hopkins, Delta Rae's gorgeous sirens, took a break while in the studio to walk us through the process behind Chasing Twisters, and revealed a bit about the roots of these epic ballads.

elle fashion
Photo: Brittany Hölljes; Getty Images
I read somewhere that your band name is actually a name rooted in both mythology and family. Brittany, Delta Rae is the heroine in a story your mother wrote. Would either of you say that storytelling and a familial connection are key components in the makeup of your band?
Brittany Hölljes: Absolutely. Delta Rae is a girl from the South who summons the Greek gods down to earth to save her family, and she goes on a huge adventure. I think that this is the only band that I could really sustain the love and the sacrifice that it requires to make music your life. The storytelling aspect of it, I think in some ways, it's a lost art in modern music or pop music, and I think part of what we want is to bring it back and make it central again.

Elizabeth Hopkins: I think we're definitely a Southern band, and a big part of our music is storytelling. It's really hard to put our music into a genre, but the one thing that's consistent through all the songs is that we tell stories. All of us love to read as well, so I think that this idea that we could create new stories and create magic for people our age is what we want to do with our music. "Chasing Twisters" is based on Pecos Bill, who is a cowboy that lassos tornadoes, so we believe in magic. We believe in folklore. That's a huge part of being from the South, I think, and that's very intertwined in our band and the way that we sound in the songs that we make.
You've been touring relentlessly since 'Carry the Fire' dropped. Has your life on the road directly affected the output of 'Chasing Twisters?'
Hölljes: Chasing Twisters was born out of our drives across the country and Ian feeling like he wanted a song every time we passed through the Southwest. That's where it came from, that galloping drumbeat: "This is what I want to hear because this is what I feel like when I'm racing through the salt flats of Utah, or when we're passing by these incredible rock formations in New Mexico." The words and the lyrics are really influenced by the fact that being an artist is about trying to capture something too big to be captured, but you have to try anyway. That's the idea of Chasing Twisters—trying to catch something untetherable.

Hopkins: I remember we were all looking out the window in awe at how beautiful the rural Southwest is. Ian said something like, "I want to write a song that makes me feel like I'm out here." We all feel that way. When we perform "Chasing Twisters," we're all riding on horsebacks together through the desert. You write what you know and experience. As much as we have a connection to folklore and storytelling, it's always directly connected to what we've recently experienced or what we're going to.
What was it like to work with Lindsey Buckingham?
Hopkins: It was truly incredible, and honestly a huge coincidence! We arrived at Rob [Cavallo]'s studio at his home, and he walked in and told us that he had Lindsey Buckingham over for dinner, and that he listened to the demo of "If I Loved You," and that Lindsey just grabbed a guitar off the wall and started noodling around. [Buckingham] had no idea who we were, had never heard of us at all, had no idea that we've covered their song, things like that. He just started playing a part that he heard in his head, and Rob said, "That sounds really good—would you mind if we recorded that?" and he said, "Oh yeah, no problem!" The idea that he was even sitting there listening to our song was enough, and then Rob threw in that he decided to play a 12-string guitar on our track.

What's something about your live show that would surprise a fan who's never seen you before?
Hölljes: How authentic the sounds are—I hope that takes people off-guard. We see people at festivals and concerts who make incredible music, and it just so happens that a lot of it is through a computer, or with a backing track, stuff like that. Those people are artists just the same, but I think there's a lost art in just accepting the sound that six people can make on a stage, and trying to make that as big as possible. And I think Delta Rae absolutely does that. What I think a lot of people don't get through the record or videos is that we put out megawatt energy. No one's going through the motions at our show. Every time, we want to give everything we have. I think people can expect our voices to get blown out and the drums to break. We're going to do what we do every night. There's no holding back. That part makes it alive every time.

Read more: Delta Rae Interview - Delta Rae Chasing Twisters EP - ELLE
Follow us: @ElleMagazine on Twitter | ellemagazine on Facebook
Visit us at ELLE.com
Old 02-04-2014, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickney723 View Post
http://www.elle.com/news/culture/del...ters-interview

What was it like to work with Lindsey Buckingham?
Hopkins: It was truly incredible, and honestly a huge coincidence! We arrived at Rob [Cavallo]'s studio at his home, and he walked in and told us that he had Lindsey Buckingham over for dinner, and that he listened to the demo of "If I Loved You," and that Lindsey just grabbed a guitar off the wall and started noodling around. [Buckingham] had no idea who we were, had never heard of us at all, had no idea that we've covered their song, things like that. He just started playing a part that he heard in his head, and Rob said, "That sounds really good—would you mind if we recorded that?" and he said, "Oh yeah, no problem!" The idea that he was even sitting there listening to our song was enough, and then Rob threw in that he decided to play a 12-string guitar on our track.
aww, thank you for finding this!! how nice is he? and how much more music is in him that we will never get to hear when he picks up a guitar laying around and just comes up with extra guitar arrangement for songs when he first hears them?? but people who would love to collaborate with him or have him contribute to their albums somehow don't get to him, don't ask, or whatever the problem is?? he was recording with Trent for just one day, and Trent incorporated it into 3 different songs. imagine how much music he can contribute in just a week!?!?!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://emertainmentmonthly.com/2014/...ey-buckingham/

Delta Rae’s Elizabeth Hopkins Talks “Chasing Twisters” And Working With Lindsey Buckingham

FEBRUARY 15, 2014 BY EMERTAINMENTMONTHLY LEAVE A COMMENT
David Weiner ’16 / Emertainment Monthly Staff Writer

Delta Rae

With their passionate live sound, country rock roots and powerful lead vocals, Delta Rae is staking its claim in the music industry.
Now backed by Warner Bros. Records, the group is already seeing their hard work pay off. The band has been featured in Rolling Stone, New York Times, USA Today, and Forbes as well as had live performances on Conan and The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
The group just released their Chasing Twisters EP, with feature track “If I Loved You,” accompanied by Fleetwood Mac’s Lindsey Buckingham. The EP follows their successful debut album, Carry the Fire.
The six piece band consists of Ian, Brittany and Eric Hölljes, Elizabeth Hopkins, Grant Emerson, and Mike Mckee. All of whom work together in a family style unit, making each venue they perform at their home.
Emertainment Monthly got the chance to speak with one of the band’s vocalists Elizabeth (Liz) Hopkins about the band’s journey, Chasing Twisters and much more.
THE BAND’S JOURNEY: I moved to North Carolina in 2009 from Manhattan to a big white house in the woods that Ian had bought. It had been overridden with plants and snakes, but Ian had gutted it and cleaned it out. For about a year and a half we were all working part-time jobs, rehearsing every night and leaving every weekend to perform in towns all up and down the East Coast, it was hard work. I had three jobs at one point and was trying to be a singer in this band. As hard as it was to live together it also really made us a cohesive group and made it so that we’re able to stay cohesive on any stage in any city. I think no matter where we go we can feel at home with each other. Once the music starts we’re home whether we’re in Hong Kong or in Dallas. When we’re playing our songs together we’re home.

MOST REWARDING MOMENT: There was a moment last summer where we were doing a hometown release of our album release of Carry the Fire and when we went off stage the audience kept cheering, cheering, cheering for an encore and when we came back out on stage to do the encore the entire sold out crowd at the Cat’s Cradle were all holding homemade torches. I looked out into the crowd and it was just this sea of bright orange and bright red flames, not actual flames, just small battery lights in these homemade torches. There was a sea of orange flames bobbing back and forth to the rhythm of our song. It was visually jaw dropping, especially the fact that people would go through the work to secretly put all of that together. I feel so grateful and blessed to have had that experience.
BEING ON LIVE TV: We’ve had the opportunity to be on Jay Leno twice and to be on Conan. Everyone that works on Leno and Conan are extremely kind, so thoughtful and so attentive. You do like ten different sound checks and then you go and do hours and hours of hair and makeup, in Brittany and my case. You prepare for it all day and then you go up there and you do one song. It’s hard because by that time I’m ready to do a full show. My stomach was completely in knots, thinking about would I screw up, would I trip… All of the worst case scenarios were playing through my head.
ON CHASING TWISTERS: I have always been so struck by the landscape of the Southwest. I didn’t write the song, but I know that Ian said he came up with the chorus while he was thinking of the landscapes that we had driven through in the Southwest and feeling that there needed to be a soundtrack for the way you feel driving through the night in that part of the country. He also was influenced by the visuals that come up when you think about Pecos Bill who was this badass cowboy who would lasso tornados. I feel so lucky and happy that I get too sing it, the title track. It was inspired by the Pacos Bill folktale, but it also makes me think about the dust bowl and this very famous portrait called Migrant Mother by Florence Owens Thompson that came out during the depression. You can see her weatherbeaten face and the toughness in her and I channel that image when I sing the song.

WORKING WITH LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM: Rob Cavallo, our producer said, “Hey, did my assistant tell you the news? Well, I don’t know if you guys know Fleetwood Mac?” Do we know Fleetwood Mac? Of course we do, they’re one of our favorite bands. “Well I’m really good friends with Lindsey Buckingham and I had him over for dinner the other night and he asked to hear what I was working on.” Rob then tells us Lindsey started noodling around on our song and Rob stopped the song and was just like, “Lindsey would you mind if I laid that down?” And he was like, “Sure.” It was enough for us just the fact that Lindsey Buckingham liked our music, but that he was inspired enough play on it was incredible.

Catch Delta Rae in Boston at the Royale March 1, 2014. Chasing Twisters EP is available on iTunes now.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What a wonderful dinner guest he is!

Michele
Old 02-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought Delta Rae was a fat Black Lady actress and wondered why LB would be performing on a record of hers. LOL
Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

News Advance Posted: Thursday, June 5, 2014 by Brent Wells

http://www.newsadvance.com/the_burg/...a4bcf6878.html

Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar parts never stop sparkling with invention, as his sudden fits of syncopated picking leap out like controlled ambushes.

His fingers do dazzling things, which can be pristine and meditative or pointedly aggressive, a flurry of staccato, thumb-slapped bass lines and gliding melodies, an impressive display of self-discipline that leads into frenetic strumming.

This is how Fleetwood Mac’s most deft craftsman shaped the legendary band’s sophisticated pop-rock sound, taking it to epic heights in the ’70s via heavy harmonies and a shimmering Southern California glow.

So it goes without saying that the North Carolina-bred sextet Delta Rae were beyond pumped when their producer Rob Cavallo — who’s manned the boards for artists like Green Day, My Chemical Romance and Kid Rock — informed them that Buckingham had dropped one of his signature, feisty runs on the group’s soulful single “If I Loved You.”

“It was pretty mind-boggling for us,” says singer/multi-instrumentalist Ian Hölljes, who’ll join the rest of Delta Rae at the Harvester Performance Center in Rocky Mount on June 12 to kick off a month-long summer tour.

“The sort of dual thrill of it was that this is a hero playing on our track, and the part sounds incredible. I mean, he just lends such a singer/songwriter quality to his playing. And, I think, he’s one of the greatest, most underrated guitarists of all time.”
Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
But this reminds me about hand claps. I was listening to IDWTK and thinking about the hand claps this week. If that song were as popular as the other Rumours songs, it would be fun for the audience to do the claps and it could be a crowd participation thing. But since no one else really knows that song, I guess that's never going to happen.

Michele
Yes, no one knows the song, despite the fact that a mega-million people have bought the record it's featured on. (insert irony here). Just because it's the only Rumours song they inexplicably never performed live, doesn't mean it lingers in obscurity. People know the song.

One of my theories is that because it originates back to their Buckingham Nicks era. To them, it represents the past. It's a rare occasion where Stevie and Lindsey actually sing as a folk duo, much like the Everly Brothers (one of their early influences). This is something that they generally never do together.

I loved the song when I first heard it in 1977. I still love it. And if you tell me that I'm crazy, like that is something that I didn't know.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 06-15-2014 at 04:08 AM..
Old 06-15-2014, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Yes, no one knows the song, despite the fact that a mega-million people have bought the record it's featured on. (insert irony here). Just because it's the only Rumours song they inexplicably never performed live, doesn't mean it lingers in obscurity. People know the song.
It is not that it's not performed live, it's also that it doesn't get radio airplay, which greatly reduces the recognition factor among the general audience.

Michele