Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Still considering Mick as a friend, yes that says a good thing about Lindsey. About Stevie, to me it's just a line. That doesn't necessarily imply he is a pretty good guy. I don't think he is a bad guy at all, my point is that it's just a line and I don't know if he really feels that. I wouldn't criticize him if he really doesn't want Stevie to be happy, or just don't give a damn, and said that just to be polite. Everyone wishes world peace.
Listen to the tone and inflection of his voice when he says it. It sounded forced to me. Like when he had to talk about Christine after she left the band.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:13 AM
Ledgie

I'm a huge Maron fan and obviously a huge Lindsey fan of course, being here.

First off, I too was a bit surprised when Marc (and then Lindsey) slagged off the Welch era. Only a bit though. I'll explain about that in a moment. But firstly, I did find it amusing that Lindsey said he had Then Play On and Kiln House because believe it or not those are the two pre-Buckingham Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums in my collection. So that was kinda cool to me.

Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage. He's done some Green tunes, some Kirwan stuff and whatnot. And I even remember reading something about how he produced Welch's solo "Sentimental Lady" recording as something of a "favor" (most likely to Mick). I just think for whatever reason, Bob's music perhaps just never resonated with Lindsey. Or maybe it was Bob himself. Who knows. It was a bit surprisingly though because Lindsey is usually very magnanimous, even holding his tongue on Ms. Stephanie Nicks much more than he probably has to.

I also must say I found it funny that Maron talked about Lindsey doing "dance music." I knew what he meant - he was speaking of the very '80s, very electronic Go Insane period, but I had just never heard it described that way. But I suppose the description isn't totally off base. A lot of those songs would likely work better in a club atmosphere than pretty much anything else Lindsey has ever released. All this said, I must say I love Go Insane and think pretty much every era of Lindsey's career has stuff that I highly recommend. And it looks like this new album is gonna provide more.
Old 08-10-2021, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdudejim View Post

First off, I too was a bit surprised when Marc (and then Lindsey) slagged off the Welch era. Only a bit though. I'll explain about that in a moment. But firstly, I did find it amusing that Lindsey said he had Then Play On and Kiln House because believe it or not those are the two pre-Buckingham Nicks Fleetwood Mac albums in my collection. So that was kinda cool to me.

Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage. He's done some Green tunes, some Kirwan stuff and whatnot. And I even remember reading something about how he produced Welch's solo "Sentimental Lady" recording as something of a "favor" (most likely to Mick). I just think for whatever reason, Bob's music perhaps just never resonated with Lindsey. Or maybe it was Bob himself. Who knows. It was a bit surprisingly though because Lindsey is usually very magnanimous, even holding his tongue on Ms. Stephanie Nicks much more than he probably has to.

I also must say I found it funny that Maron talked about Lindsey doing "dance music." I knew what he meant - he was speaking of the very '80s, very electronic Go Insane period, but I had just never heard it described that way. But I suppose the description isn't totally off base. A lot of those songs would likely work better in a club atmosphere than pretty much anything else Lindsey has ever released. All this said, I must say I love Go Insane and think pretty much every era of Lindsey's career has stuff that I highly recommend. And it looks like this new album is gonna provide more.
Lindsey did Hypnotized in their early days. I've got audio of it.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:07 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Lindsey did Hypnotized in their early days. I've got audio of it.
I know he did. That's why I wrote this (bolded part most importantly included):

Quote:
Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage.
And I've got audio of it too. It's part of the self-titled box set!

Not being mean at all. Just pointing out that I was aware of all this!

Last edited by sweetdudejim; 08-10-2021 at 01:09 AM..
Old 08-10-2021, 01:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know he did. That's why I wrote this (bolded part most importantly included):

And I've got audio of it too. It's part of the self-titled box set!

Not being mean at all. Just pointing out that I was aware of all this!
Sorry, it's worded awkwardly, imo. At least if English is your first language. I've read it several times, and the meaning is unclear, to me at least.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

sweetdudejim's post is clear to me. That's cool that there's a Lindsey performance of Hypnotized. Just listened to this rendition now for the first time. Let's just say... I can see why he was keen to sing his own songs!
Old 08-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, it's worded awkwardly, imo. At least if English is your first language. I've read it several times, and the meaning is unclear, to me at least.
Perhaps the wording was a bit unclear. The sentence was a bit of a run-on. But yeah, English is indeed my first language. I don’t post a lot here for whatever reason but wanted to pitch in on this topic. However after this exchange, I’m getting the feeling I’m not welcome here. Yeesh.

Last edited by sweetdudejim; 08-10-2021 at 10:35 AM..
Old 08-10-2021, 10:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Perhaps the wording was a bit unclear. The sentence was a bit of a run-on. But yeah, English is indeed my first language. I don’t post a lot here for whatever reason but wanted to pitch in on this topic. However after this exchange, I’m getting the feeling I’m not welcome here. Yeesh.
Well then you're just being silly and hyper sensitive.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Now as to why I wasn't totally surprised about Lindsey kind of agreeing with Maron about the Bob Welch years was that besides "Hypnotized" I don't think Lindsey has touched a Welch song on stage. He's done some Green tunes, some Kirwan stuff and whatnot. And I even remember reading something about how he produced Welch's solo "Sentimental Lady" recording as something of a "favor" (most likely to Mick). I just think for whatever reason, Bob's music perhaps just never resonated with Lindsey.
You’re right. I think Jim Ladd the KMET DJ was talking to Lindsey on the radio in 1981 for Law and Order, and Lindsey told Ladd that he just wasn’t comfortable singing Bob Welch songs (he called them “breathy”) but that he loved singing and playing Peter Green, particularly “Oh Well.” The band kept “Hypnotized” in the set for a couple of years, but Lindsey at some point must have said to finally drop it. “Hypnotized” is this kind of zone song, anyway (maybe a little like “Sara”), and you just can’t reach that zone in a crowded, noisy arena. I don’t the think the song ever worked live in any band incarnation as well as the album. The performance with the Crowded House singer was pretty good thanks to twenty musicians all contributing with little bits of filigree, but you still had the arena noise to contend with. “Hypnotized” is solitude and meditative — nobody can meditate at a rock concert these days.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownOnRodeo View Post
sweetdudejim's post is clear to me. That's cool that there's a Lindsey performance of Hypnotized. Just listened to this rendition now for the first time. Let's just say... I can see why he was keen to sing his own songs!
I thought maybe there would be at least one Bob Welch song from his years in Fleetwood that would be suitable for Lindsey in concert, but after reviewing the track lists, there really isn’t even one, not even burning rockers like “Miles Away” or melodic things like “Silver Heels” (which early Elton John could have covered). The style and personality of Bob’s work are another universe from Lindsey.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 08-10-2021, 07:02 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Well then you're just being silly and hyper sensitive.
Understood. And also, I’m sorry that you couldn’t understand my writing even though other posters seemed to have no problem whatsoever with it! Have a great day! Get well soon!
Old 08-10-2021, 09:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Understood. And also, I’m sorry that you couldn’t understand my writing even though other posters seemed to have no problem whatsoever with it! Have a great day! Get well soon!
Whatevs. I found the flow of your sentence difficult to follow. Sh*t happens. Hood rats understand gibberish that I'd never begin to comprehend, and that's not a bad thing in my book.
I hope you get well soon.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 08-10-2021 at 09:14 PM..
Old 08-11-2021, 06:24 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
There's a few members here that post a lot and try to feel good about themselves by putting others down.
I've used the 'ignore' function a few times to improve the "constructive discussion" experience; sounds like you found one of the few on my list.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Excellent post, sweetjimdude. I hate that your contribution was overshadowed by pettiness. I’m not familiar with much of Bob Welch’s FM material beyond Hypnotized, which I think is a classic. Neil Finn did a fine job singing it and I was so disappointed the song was dropped by the time I saw FM. Lindsey sang it very well, also. I’ve always thought it would be cool and surprising if FM whipped out Sentimental Lady live, I think the audience would be like “WTH” in a good way.

I’m not sure yet about Lindsey’s new cd- the first two songs haven’t excited me much, although the second single caught my ear more than the first. Your excitement for it has got me thinking I will buy it, though.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
There's a few members here that post a lot and try to feel good about themselves by putting others down.
I've used the 'ignore' function a few times to improve the "constructive discussion" experience; sounds like you found one of the few
There is a handful of $tevie worshippers that can't accept that quite a few of us here no longer worship her. $he isn't the person with whom we fell in love. Ego and narcissism taken over her being.