User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-27-2019, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Thumbs up Live in Manchester 08/25/1990 BBC broadcast

Was listening to this (again) today. So much jumped out at me. The last true arena rock sound of the band. Many songs like Everywhere and Isnt It Midnight are so uptempo compared how they would play it today. Mick is pretty sharp on drum licks too. You can hear Christine's organ in every song OMG. Landslide is not a sing along like it is today dedicated to Christine's brother. Christine and even Stevie's voice is really strong. No pre-recorded tracks or backing vocals. Lindsey was not there by choice! This just sounds incredible. Love Stevie's backing on Stand on the rock! Save Me is amazing! Such high energy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvQy...9eUVw&index=22

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-27-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Old 11-27-2019, 11:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for posting the link. I had heard a boot long ago, but the linked show starts from the beginning of "In the Back of My Mind".

The tour itself was fantastic! The band appeared to have a lot of fun on this tour, at least before the book. Take "Tear It Up" for instance - Stevie *danced* and played tambourine throughout the song. Very uptempo .. all into the song.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've had this for years but must say I haven't listened to it in a long ass time. Thanks for sharing the link as it truly holds up as a great concert almost 30 years later. So many great songs and the 'new' songs really do sound good live. Save Me is indeed fantastic! I love this version of Gold Dust Woman and while the vocal on Go Your Own Way is impossible for anyone but Lindsey to make sense of (even he struggles), it is a really rocking way to end the show. The '87-'90 band isn't comparable at all to 2018+. Father Time and poor decisions have taken their toll.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:35 PM

I have this double disk!! I'm going to have to pull it out. I remember loving it.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:29 PM

Wow! Christine's organ on The Chain is incredible. I can hear her backing vocals, too. Lindsey would have run over and unplugged her for playing like that.

Lindsey: I told you Christine!! Only backing tracks!
Old 12-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wow! Christine's organ on The Chain is incredible. I can hear her backing vocals, too. Lindsey would have run over and unplugged her for playing like that.

Lindsey: I told you Christine!! Only backing tracks!
You can hear it almost on every song. I miss her playing so much. I love her style. You can hear it anywhere. One of the reasons I like the album BTM is because for the first time since Mirage, we hear Christine playing lots of keyboards. We only get a taste on Tango.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a record of this concert many years, but this version has much much better sound and it shows that the show was really great.
Thanks for the link.

The first song I had to check was of course Stand Back, finally a really super quality record of any concert from this great tour .

I want Stevie to tour in Europe!
Old 12-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You can hear it almost on every song. I miss her playing so much. I love her style. You can hear it anywhere. One of the reasons I like the album BTM is because for the first time since Mirage, we hear Christine playing lots of keyboards. We only get a taste on Tango.
It's so true. I think that Buckingham didn't give her the room she deserved to flourish as a keyboardist. Adding to that, I think she didn't take enough initiative or have enough confidence to play as much lead.

I love when she plays the keyboard parts for Landslide.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's so true. I think that Buckingham didn't give her the room she deserved to flourish as a keyboardist. Adding to that, I think she didn't take enough initiative or have enough confidence to play as much lead.

I love when she plays the keyboard parts for Landslide.
BTM kicks off with Christine's keyboards on Skies the Limit. Love her solo on Do You Know. She is churning like crazy during Save Me, When It Comes To Love, and Stand on the Rock.
Her style just jumps out at you. It may not be the most creative but catchy as hell.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
BTM kicks off with Christine's keyboards on Skies the Limit. Love her solo on Do You Know. She is churning like crazy during Save Me, When It Comes To Love, and Stand on the Rock.
Her style just jumps out at you. It may not be the most creative but catchy as hell.
I love her quirky style. It goes with Mick and John's style so well. I think she instinctively knew she had to step her game up since LB was gone. I'm glad she did.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-05-2019 at 10:46 AM..
Old 12-06-2019, 02:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was not too familiar with this lineup and am impressed with Rick Vito here. I didn't really miss Lindsey's guitar much, and I was expecting to.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
I was not too familiar with this lineup and am impressed with Rick Vito here. I didn't really miss Lindsey's guitar much, and I was expecting to.
I saw both tours with Rick and Billy and they were fantastic shows. (There are reports that toward the end of the BTM tour it became low energy.)

I saw Billy and Todd Sharp with Christine McVie on her solo tour (1984) and that show rocked the house, too.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 12-06-2019 at 08:35 AM..
Old 12-06-2019, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I saw both tours with Rick and Billy and they were fantastic shows. (There are reports that toward the end of the BTM tour it became low energy.)

I saw Billy and Todd Sharp with Christine McVie on her solo tour (1984) and that show rocked the house, too.
I saw the BTM (Farewell tour) late in November 1990 and it was all high energy with Stevie dancing all over the place.
Contrasting the tours, I think the band sounded better and jelled better in 1990 which only makes sense. They took a few creative liberties too like the brief guitar intro to Rhiannon. Speaking of the 1990 Rhiannon, Stevie did something she had not done since the Tusk/Mirage tours and go sit down on the side of the stage during the guitar solo. I think she was trying to vintage up the Mac for what was supposed to be her final tour with them.
I have said this before but both Stevie and Christine wearing mini skirts on the tour was one of my favorite things

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-06-2019 at 10:01 AM..
Old 12-06-2019, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad to hear Stevie omit from "Rhiannon" that "she still cries out"/"don't leave me" coda. I've never liked it.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:49 AM

I think there is a Tampa Video of the BTM tour floating out there.

It's really good!