The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What version of Sentimental Lady you like the most?
Fleetwood Mac Bare Trees version 12 66.67%
Bob Welch solo version 6 33.33%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2023, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Sentimental Lady

I was looking for this question in this forum, didn't find it. So here's the poll. What version do you like the most? And why?

Last edited by Villavic; 01-19-2023 at 01:16 PM..
Old 01-19-2023, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Oh wow. This is a Sophie's Choice for sure. I love the 1974 live radio concert version the best. Both recordings though are so similar. I like the originality and rawness of the Bare Trees and I like the polishing that Lindsey did.

Still have not voted. Will need some time to think about this.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:32 PM

I'm with Macfan. But, ultimately I prefer BuckVie production and performances on French Kiss.

I love Bare Trees version too. It's just a great song.
Old 01-19-2023, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BT version for the second verse.

It’s cool that the FK version was in heavy radio rotation around same the time as YMLF. Christine could do no wrong!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-19-2023, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love the original Fleetwood Mac version, and I don't like the solo version much. I like Christine's backing vocals better, I like her keyboard, I like the simpler production, I like the extra backing vocals Bob adds toward the end of the song. The solo version is too sappy for my taste.
Old 01-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I won't say what I normally do, because Macfan4life will be all, "so you're saying THAT again!". After 22 years here, it's hard to come up with new material...

I prefer the solo version.
Old 01-19-2023, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Prefer the solo version. Lindsey's guitar is just so gorgeous. the song sparkles.
I remember hearing it on the radio when i was a kid and loving the sound of it. IMO the original seems to drag on a little, and Bob's voice is a bit too rough for my ears. I could hear the solo version 10 times in a row and not get tired of it.

--Lis
Old 01-19-2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Prefer the solo version. Lindsey's guitar is just so gorgeous. the song sparkles.
I remember hearing it on the radio when i was a kid and loving the sound of it. IMO the original seems to drag on a little, and Bob's voice is a bit too rough for my ears. I could hear the solo version 10 times in a row and not get tired of it.

--Lis
It really does sparkle! And I don't tire of this version either.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I won't say what I normally do, because Macfan4life will be all, "so you're saying THAT again!". After 22 years here, it's hard to come up with new material...

I prefer the solo version.
Just like your idol Stevie, you've been playing the same set for 20 years now
Old 01-20-2023, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I had time this morning so I listened to both. I still cant decide. I hate to cop out but I like the live versions better with Chris at the Roxy (1981) and the radio concert (1974).

I love Lindsey's guitar in the beginning and acoustic on the solo version. I miss the second verse though. I like Mick's drumming on the solo version better.
I love hearing Chris more on the Mac version. We also get more of her organ playing.

It's really a coin flip. I would probably go with the Mac version as my favorite. The guitar/organ solo just has that wild early 70s sound that I love. I also like the song having a second verse. The solo version is beautiful. But the organic trippy early 70s sound just moves me more. I just voted and the Mac version is winning!

I know why Homer likes the solo version better. She hates Christine's back up because they are not in sync Bob. IMHO that is part of the appeal of the song to me. She also gets into adult contemporary more.

Yes I know you
though we've been out of touch

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-20-2023 at 07:52 AM..
Old 01-20-2023, 08:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I love hearing Chris more on the Mac version.
And that's why I voted for the BT version. But I must confess my I miss Christine so much state of mind influenced my decision. Cause yes, hard decision, isn't it?
Old 01-20-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
And that's why I voted for the BT version. But I must confess my I miss Christine so much state of mind influenced my decision. Cause yes, hard decision, isn't it?
I love all versions of this song. And I do miss Christine.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I had time this morning so I listened to both. I still cant decide. I hate to cop out but I like the live versions better with Chris at the Roxy (1981) and the radio concert (1974).

I love Lindsey's guitar in the beginning and acoustic on the solo version. I miss the second verse though. I like Mick's drumming on the solo version better.
I love hearing Chris more on the Mac version. We also get more of her organ playing.

It's really a coin flip. I would probably go with the Mac version as my favorite. The guitar/organ solo just has that wild early 70s sound that I love. I also like the song having a second verse. The solo version is beautiful. But the organic trippy early 70s sound just moves me more. I just voted and the Mac version is winning!

I know why Homer likes the solo version better. She hates Christine's back up because they are not in sync Bob. IMHO that is part of the appeal of the song to me. She also gets into adult contemporary more.

Yes I know you
though we've been out of touch
Girl, from a production standpoint, the out of sync vocals on the chorus drive me up the wall.

You ain't wrong. I mean, usually you are, but even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.
Old 01-20-2023, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Girl, from a production standpoint, the out of sync vocals on the chorus drive me up the wall.

You ain't wrong. I mean, usually you are, but even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.
I've always seen this as a production choice, but I wish it was a little more precise in the delay. It does seem a bit sloppy.
Old 01-22-2023, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think I can choose. The original is awesome. Bob's solo version is awesome too because it's not a rehash but has a more lush "twist" to it.