The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: What got U into The Mac?
Friends 1 2.78%
Radio 14 38.89%
Video 6 16.67%
Live Concert 1 2.78%
Press 0 0%
Other 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-12-2002, 05:37 PM
Ledgie

The person that got me into it was my friend Lindsey. I remember a few summers ago, i was at her house, she was practicing for dance crap, and she was like...omg...u ahve to listen to this!!! this is like so cool!! and blah blah blah..and at first i was like...what is wrong with her??? i remember cuz audra and i would talk on the phone aobut it and we were like..who are these people, and what is lindseys problem?? then after a while, i started listening more and more to it. Then after audra bought the dance and we listened to it non-stop at my house one night, i was like..ok, i have to get a cd from them or im gonna explode!! cause i loved rhiannon. I thought that it was like the prettiest song ever!! then they just kinda grew on me, and our whole group of friends now is like obssessed, well we still have to convince a few people, but i think for the most part, we got pretty far..lol
§ mal §
Old 05-12-2002, 08:45 PM
Senior Ledgie

It was the radio for me...back in '97, when The Dance came out. I remember hearing Silver Springs, and thought it was a beautiful song. I also remember sitting through the video on tv, trying to catch Silver Springs on there. I was 13.

I kinda forgot about them, though. Then I got into The Corrs, and loved Dreams (their version). I remembered my brother had Rumours, and dug it out to find the original Dreams.

And that was it!
Old 05-13-2002, 12:56 AM
Ledgie

It was the DANCE 1997. I remember my mom telling me something about FM's BTM and the Dance, but I really wasn't paying any attention. But then one day I flipping channels and noticed Mick's big eyes and how he was always happy so I watched VH-1 for awhile. And of course Silver Springs was on and I was hooked from then on.

But I do remember hearing about the Mac when I was younger. I heard Don't Stop, GYOW, and Landslide before and I knew there were two couples that had broken up ( i watched one of those rock n roll specials). And I heard Hole's version of GDW but that was about it until The Dance! I don't know what I would do without the MAC! Probably buy a PC ( ha just kidding...!)

-April
Old 04-30-2021, 11:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just out of curiosity I was checking the oldest threads, and found this poll. It seems I didn't voted, that is pretty weird.

Anyway, though I had already heard Mac songs before, including YMLF, that my brother bought the 45 rpm record, it was the Gypsy video in 1982 what got me into the Mac.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Just out of curiosity I was checking the oldest threads, and found this poll. It seems I didn't voted, that is pretty weird.

Anyway, though I had already heard Mac songs before, including YMLF, that my brother bought the 45 rpm record, it was the Gypsy video in 1982 what got me into the Mac.
Damn, tonight is the Ledge thread cemetary.

My older cousin moved in with us when I was 13, with her Rumours 8 track. Obsession didn't begin to describe what overtook my life.
Old 05-01-2021, 05:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

An old thread, but worth reviving!

I think mine was seeing the video for Big Love on a Sturday morning children's TV show - I was captivated and had no idea how they did it.

Then I saw this wonderful commercial and thought 'I love all of those songs!!!':

http://www.susanyounganimation.com/c...etwoodmac.html

Got the 'clear cassette' for Christmas '87 and that was that...
Old 05-01-2021, 12:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post

Pretty much the same. I’m the youngest of five and RUMOURS was on heavy rotation in my house when I was six and seven. I remember watching the Tusk video premier on Solid Gold (or something like SG) and thinking “THIS is the same band? Cool!”

But I wasn’t properly hooked until the Gypsy video and song—and then wow, I couldn’t get enough, bought MIRAGE, listened obsessively to RUMOURS and was on a heavy Stevie kick for about a year.

Then something happened.

The family stereo was on and a song from the radio grabbed me. It was “Say You Love Me.” I recognized Christine’s voice and the band backing her but in that moment I really HEARD her voice. The moment was intense and addictive. That low voice, that supremely catchy chorus, those block piano chords...the whole experience was transformative. I had to get my hands on everything Christine sang. It was 1983 and talk of her upcoming solo album had me anxiously awaiting its release.

I never stopped loving Stevie and Lindsey’s work. His solo albums were always interesting and her whole persona (until around 1985) was undeniably potent. But from that one night hearing “Say You Love Me” blasting out of the speakers I knew Christine was my hero.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Parents car... aged 13 in 1987.
They moved on from playing the Top Gun soundtrack non-stop wherever we went and progressed to playing Tango In The Night non-stop.
I do also love Top Gun.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 05-02-2021, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s fun seeing all these ledgies from the past in this thread.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-02-2021, 05:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was 16 when the Dance came out and saw the Video of Silver Springs on a video countdown type show called the Chum FM top 30 where they counted down the top 30 Albums of the week and played a selection of videos throughout the broadcast. About 4 years later is when I really ramped up my fandom. Have been a big follower ever since.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first boyfriend. I should have not listened to him and stayed more true to my real musical loves, Kate Bush, and the Cure and Clash and UB40 but i was a dumb teenager girly and wanted to have more in common with the dude.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
My first boyfriend. I should have not listened to him and stayed more true to my real musical loves, Kate Bush, and the Cure and Clash and UB40 but i was a dumb teenager girly and wanted to have more in common with the dude.
Been listening to Kate Bush a lot lately.
Old 05-23-2021, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In 1975 my school bus driver who was fairly young installed an 8-track in the bus. He played the white album a lot and I fell in love with it and Stevie's vocals. I asked for the record for Christmas and got it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless