The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read


Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2022, 09:44 AM
anusha anusha is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 90
Default Both sides or pick a side?

I donít want to cause drama ó but I have a genuine question for LB fans post-FM split. I didnít see FM with Neil Finn, and any Stevie concerts didnít work for my schedule. Now with the new Stevie tour with Vanessa Carlton I really have lost any desire to see her live even though I used to go to Stevie shows whenever she was in my town. Anyone else experiencing this?
Reply With Quote
.
  #2  
Old 07-25-2022, 10:17 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,719
Default

They're OLD now, and all have very little voices left, so you're paying to hear backup singers, or karaoke tracks.

That said, I'd still go to a Lindsey solo show, or a FM show if they brought him back.

ALTHOUGH IF HE AND $TEVIE HELD HANDS AND MADE GOOGLY EYES, I'D PROJECTILE VOMIT ALL OVER THE ENTIRE VENUE.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2022, 10:40 AM
anusha anusha is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 90
Default

Oh 100% on them making googly eyes and holding hands. I remember maybe Q Magazine noting back in 1998 that the hand holding etc. was more or less for show. At the time, I wrote it off as them being snarky about FM as a legacy act (Q was a very snarky British music magazine back in the day). But now looking back, itís hard not to be very skeptical of the lovey-dovey schtick they did between 1998-2018. After The Dance and particularly without Christine, I think they were acutely aware that the SN/LB dynamic was a big draw. Part of me wonders if they could even put on a show after this very public, very nasty split. Their whole persona has been overcoming their differences and the love that is still there. Theyíve never been a shut up and sing for the money band like The Eagles.

(My autocorrect just changed lovey-dovey to lovey-dicey and that is so on point!)

I tend to think they wonít tour again anyway. But thereís a lot of money in touring and that has motivated them plenty of times before.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-25-2022, 10:58 AM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anusha View Post
I tend to think they wonít tour again anyway. But thereís a lot of money in touring and that has motivated them plenty of times before.
Yeah, but age is what's stopping them now. They're OLD AF.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2022, 11:21 AM
jmn3 jmn3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,531
Default

Yeah, for the most part I am really over them. The 2018 Lindsey firing really sort of forced me into losing my interest in all of them. That said, I really liked Lindsey's solo album and went to his show last fall and it was a great time! Yes, karaoke tracks and all! The thing about a Lindsey show - it was in a small theater where the ticket cost me $50, parking was free, and a beer was $6. Even as someone who admittedly has not been into much of LB's solo work ever, the set was varied enough with a good selection from his solo work and a solid amount of Fleetwood Mac songs that you know and love. I went with my Dad and for a little over 100 bucks we had a great night out. Compare to what it would cost to see a reunited Fleetwood Mac - nah, at this point I think I'd have to do some major mental gymnastics to do that again even if Lindsey did rejoin.

Stevie's solo shows generally bore me too much and with how she behaved regarding Lindsey, I'm done with that. And if there was even a remote chance I'd want to go watch her 'twirl,' tell rambling stories that nobody cares about, play the same songs that she's trotted out for 20 years, and try to croak out an increasingly sluggish and monotonous Rhiannon....Vanessa Carlton...NOPE. Not a chance.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-25-2022, 12:05 PM
HomerMcvie's Avatar
HomerMcvie HomerMcvie is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
Posts: 14,719
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Yeah, for the most part I am really over them. The 2018 Lindsey firing really sort of forced me into losing my interest in all of them. That said, I really liked Lindsey's solo album and went to his show last fall and it was a great time! Yes, karaoke tracks and all! The thing about a Lindsey show - it was in a small theater where the ticket cost me $50, parking was free, and a beer was $6. Even as someone who admittedly has not been into much of LB's solo work ever, the set was varied enough with a good selection from his solo work and a solid amount of Fleetwood Mac songs that you know and love. I went with my Dad and for a little over 100 bucks we had a great night out. Compare to what it would cost to see a reunited Fleetwood Mac - nah, at this point I think I'd have to do some major mental gymnastics to do that again even if Lindsey did rejoin.

Stevie's solo shows generally bore me too much and with how she behaved regarding Lindsey, I'm done with that. And if there was even a remote chance I'd want to go watch her 'twirl,' tell rambling stories that nobody cares about, play the same songs that she's trotted out for 20 years, and try to croak out an increasingly sluggish and monotonous Rhiannon....Vanessa Carlton...NOPE. Not a chance.
YEP. Same. The firing of Lindsey was the end of the band, IMO.

Done.
__________________
Christine McVie- she radiated both purity and sass in equal measure, bringing light to the music of the 70s. RIP. - John Taylor(Duran Duran)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2022, 11:27 AM
jmn3 jmn3 is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,531
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yeah, but age is what's stopping them now. They're OLD AF.
Yep, this. The money would likely be there but could they pull it off? I have serious doubts you'll ever see either of the McVie's tour in any capacity again - especially John. A Fleetwood Mac with Mick and a somehow 'reunited' Lindsey and Stevie trying to place what happened behind them, backed by an absolute army that it would take to make it make sense....lord, what a mess. And who would be selecting the army? Stevie would insist on her people which would immediately piss Lindsey off. I don't ever see it happening.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2022, 12:06 PM
anusha anusha is offline
Ledgie
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 90
Default

That seems about right. I donít think Iíve seen Stevie in many years and the oar time I did had too many drum solos and costume (shawl) change breaks for my taste. I saw Elton John this year and he was amazing ó no karaoke, full voice, really gave his all. I donít think FM, even if the McVies would agree, could put on that kind of show.

Thatís an excellent point re seeing LB. I saw him in a small theater in 2021 and it was a great time and super reasonably priced. Given that his whole thing is studio wizardry, and he did those one man show gigs, Iím willing to forgive the backing vocals at least. Especially since Brett was so ill during the tour dates he did (including mine). It didnít feel like it took away, whereas the things they would need to do to make FM work now musically would make it feel like karaoke.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-26-2022, 01:25 PM
Villavic's Avatar
Villavic Villavic is offline
Addicted Ledgie
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Lima Peru
Posts: 3,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
They're OLD now, and all have very little voices left, so you're paying to hear backup singers, or karaoke tracks.
.
And that's why Fleetwood Mac shows are over for me after 2014. Their voices were barely salvageable then. I wouldn't tarnish a good memory with dead voices now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac [New Vinyl LP] picture

Fleetwood Mac - Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac [New Vinyl LP]

$24.94



PETER GREEN - ALONE WITH THE BLUES NEW CD picture

PETER GREEN - ALONE WITH THE BLUES NEW CD

$17.98



Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 1968 Vinyl LP First UK Stereo Pressing picture

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac 1968 Vinyl LP First UK Stereo Pressing

$150.00



Peter Green - Man of the World: Anthology [New CD] UK - Import picture

Peter Green - Man of the World: Anthology [New CD] UK - Import

$11.27



Make Your Own Blues CD Bundle: Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker,  Junior Wells picture

Make Your Own Blues CD Bundle: Lightnin' Hopkins, John Lee Hooker, Junior Wells

$9.90




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
© 1995-2003 Martin and Lisa Adelson, All Rights Reserved