Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Rolling Stone Top 500 Songs — Mac at No. 9

So Rolling Stone just published its annual clickbait article of the Top 500 Songs of All Time.

“Dreams” climbed higher than it’s ever done — number 9.

All these Buckingham and Nicks feud articles and Buckingham album reviews and Nicks appreciation pieces online and in print and now this? Is someone engineering all this disparate coverage? I was following them in 1977 and quite frankly I don’t think they had anywhere near this much press that year, all in the space of a few weeks.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-16-2021, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i saw a really good thread on twitter, of this guy analyzing different performers and how their songs have changed on the list. obviously the list should not be called "greatest songs" if it goes for the most popular but that's where we are lol. like really? where's the Chain? none of Christine songs?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-16-2021, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
So Rolling Stone just published its annual clickbait article of the [URL="https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/"] I was following them in 1977 and quite frankly I don’t think they had anywhere near this much press that year, all in the space of a few weeks.
There was no internet then .You pretty much had to wait around for the next issue of Rolling Stone in the random notes section. They did also have a People magazine cover that year .

Old 09-16-2021, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
There was no internet then .You pretty much had to wait around for the next issue of Rolling Stone in the random notes section. They did also have a People magazine cover that year .
Exactly. The world has changed so much since 1977. Today is a 24/7 news cycle and endless social media and internet. I remember going to concerts in the 80s and never knowing the setlists beforehand. Every song was a surprise. Now you know the setlist immediately and can watch concerts on youtube. Back then you had to wait till 6pm to watch or hear any news LOL.

Dreams is a good song (although I turn it off when its on the radio because I've heard it so much) but Go Your Own Way is a better song
Old 09-16-2021, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Dreams is a good song (although I turn it off when its on the radio because I've heard it so much) but Go Your Own Way is a better song
Go Your Own Way is a FAR more inventive song than Dreams(the same could be said of Tusk). Because both exist outside of any traditional song structure. Mick's drumming during the verses, and the way the acoustic guitar is what really holds the timing of the song together, makes it one of a kind.

Now here comes $tevie people telling us how Dreams was #1... big deal. I hear GYOW far more often on the radio than Dreams.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Laughable. I wouldn’t even put Dreams as high as my #9 Fleetwood Mac song let alone all songs. Even of just Stevie’s contributions, GDW, Rhiannon, and Gypsy are better IMO.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I *LOVE* Dreams....always have, always will.

But the magic of it is in that production. When you listen to earlier rough versions it's pretty meh. Her vocal is great but the song is flat, like most of her songs until LB adds in lifts with instrumentation and backing vocals. John absolutely anchors the song, with Mick, as he does on all her stuff on the first 3 albums. The guitar layers and all of Chris's gorgeous keyboards/synthesizer parts, and then all the backing vocals just make it sooooo lush and luscious and hypnotic. It's this band at its cohesive best.

Her solo versions have never, ever come close. Even the Mac live versions don't do it full justice.

But that Rumours version......
Old 09-17-2021, 03:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I *LOVE* Dreams....always have, always will.

But the magic of it is in that production. When you listen to earlier rough versions it's pretty meh. Her vocal is great but the song is flat, like most of her songs until LB adds in lifts with instrumentation and backing vocals. John absolutely anchors the song, with Mick, as he does on all her stuff on the first 3 albums. The guitar layers and all of Chris's gorgeous keyboards/synthesizer parts, and then all the backing vocals just make it sooooo lush and luscious and hypnotic. It's this band at its cohesive best.

Her solo versions have never, ever come close. Even the Mac live versions don't do it full justice.

But that Rumours version......
You are so right. The magic of dreams is the magical production. The elements of ripping off the Carpenters with double vocals, John's heartbeat bass, and Chris's magical 70's keyboard playing with Lindsey's incredible guitar make it the song that it is. The lyrics are great and you can hear the cold Stevie said she had when she recorded it. Strangely, it adds to the mood of the song.
Long story short, the arrangement and production of Dreams is what makes it a great song.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My 3 favorite songs are:
1. True Faith by New Order
2. I Feel Love by Donna Summer
3. Go Your Own Way by Fleetwood Mac

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dreams is the quintessential band song- it works because all 5 showed up with their A-Game for the song and it deserved it's number one status. same can be said though for the whole Rumours album. It always has been just meh live though, they always seemed to want to get it over with. Stevie also has written better songs with better effect, Gypsy being the best example of this.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Dreams is the quintessential band song- it works because all 5 showed up with their A-Game for the song and it deserved it's number one status. same can be said though for the whole Rumours album. It always has been just meh live though, they always seemed to want to get it over with. Stevie also has written better songs with better effect, Gypsy being the best example of this.
I agree. Its almost impossible to pull off the magic of Dreams live. GYOW on the other hand kills live every time.
The most annoying thing about Dreams is that its always the second song in Fleetwood Mac's set and Stevie's set. Its so predictable and boring and glad she finally dropped it on her last leg of the 24K Gold Tour
Old 09-17-2021, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even though it's a poll of artists, musicians, producers, critics and journalists, it is just that. A poll. In a few years another poll will show different results. I don't find those lists that important, but glad to find several of my favorite songs.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“Dreams” is the best lyric Nicks ever wrote. She has never topped it lyrically. Even her other good songs have moments of cringe in them, but not this one. It’s so easily what Stevie always had trouble maintaining in her songwriting: sophisticated and believable and free of pretentiousness.

Quote:
It’s only right that you should play the way you feel it/
But listen carefully to the sound/
Of your loneliness
The reiterative “dreams of loneliness” is as rich as anything in a contemporary poetry book.

Quote:
Have you any dreams you’d like to sell/
Dreams of loneliness/
Like a heartbeat drives you mad
In the stillness of remembering what you had/
And what you lost

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are so right. The magic of dreams is the magical production. The elements of ripping off the Carpenters with double vocals, John's heartbeat bass, and Chris's magical 70's keyboard playing with Lindsey's incredible guitar make it the song that it is. The lyrics are great and you can hear the cold Stevie said she had when she recorded it. Strangely, it adds to the mood of the song.
Long story short, the arrangement and production of Dreams is what makes it a great song.
I believe Christine has said as much. Something to the effect that when Stevie brought it too them it was 3 notes and Lindsey is the one (Christine's words IIRC) that crafted it into what we hear today
Old 09-17-2021, 04:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
I believe Christine has said as much. Something to the effect that when Stevie brought it too them it was 3 notes and Lindsey is the one (Christine's words IIRC) that crafted it into what we hear today
She also said she sang it beautifully. And she did. But what wasn't Stevie singing beautifully back then.

Dreams is one of my favorite Stevie Mac songs. I could literally listen to that song over and over and not get sick of it. Fleetwood Mac at its' finest.

#9 song(I'm guessing rock/pop songs of all time?). I don't know about that.

If anything Dreams got a bump because of the recent tik tok craze over it.