Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-04-2003, 04:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Give it away?

Does anyone know if Peter Green still believes in giving all or most of his money/possessions away? It's a fascinating ideal to me. I used to think a lot about owning nothing and having rooms with almost nothing in them and painted white, everything white. Wonder what it would be like to live if it were practical or possible. There's something to be said about leaving the way you came in; owning nothing, in a clean white room and bald. :^)

Also is Spencer still associated with the Children Of God? For awhile half all guys I knew shaved their heads, so I guess Jeremy like Peter Gabriel was ahead of that fashion statement being in vogue. I always thought it derived from Buddhism though.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Give it away?

Quote:
Originally posted by becca
Does anyone know if Peter Green still believes in giving all or most of his money/possessions away? It's a fascinating ideal to me. I used to think a lot about owning nothing and having rooms with almost nothing in them and painted white, everything white. Wonder what it would be like to live if it were practical or possible. There's something to be said about leaving the way you came in; owning nothing, in a clean white room and bald. :^)

Also is Spencer still associated with the Children Of God? For awhile half all guys I knew shaved their heads, so I guess Jeremy like Peter Gabriel was ahead of that fashion statement being in vogue. I always thought it derived from Buddhism though.
I don't know if Peter still believes in giving all of his money away. I really hope not. I don't know whether at one time he was actually giving his money away or whether he was just thinking about doing it.

About a month ago someone posted a U.K. magazine interview with Mick. He mentioned that Jeremy is living in New Mexico in the U.S. and I think that he was still in the Children of God cult but that Children of God was no longer the name of the cult. He even mentioned that he and Jeremy had recorded a few songs together recently.

Last edited by macfan 57; 02-05-2003 at 07:19 AM..
Old 02-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's somewhat of an "urban legend" about Peter wanting to give all his stuff away...his actual philosophy (according to Jet Celmins' bio of him) was to keep just the minimum as to what was needed to live comfortably (but not extravagantly) and give the rest to charities, etc. Apparently, Mick took it to mean give EVERYTHING away and couldn't grasp what Peter was getting at.

As far as I know, yes, Jeremy is still affiliated with a less radical faction of the "Children Of God".
Old 02-05-2003, 12:46 PM
Ledgie

COG is now called "The Family".

Doc
Old 02-05-2003, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wouldn't want Peter Green to give away guitars he can use well that's for sure. Wonder if he's heard that Red Hot Chilli Peppers song. :^) What you don't really need can just drag you down and make someone else feel like they have less. I used to think about giving my books, magazines and music to a library and still having access to them myself that way, but I lack the trust they wouldn't just sell it all off very cheap to buy more Steven King and Danielle Steele paperbacks (this is what happens to many quality donations of collections here!), or someone would destroy them in some way through ignorance or deliberate not caring.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:31 PM
Ledgie

Peter Green is not making the kind of money now, that he did with Fleetwood Mac, so I doubt that he wants to give it away. Plus he's in a different frame of mind now.

Doc