Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-25-2003, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 1971-1974

What were Fleetwood Mac like then? I've never heard any of their songs from that era.
Sofie
Old 01-25-2003, 07:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There were 5 Fleetwood Mac albums during those years and they are terrific. In my opinion, "Mystery To Me" & "Bare Trees" are the best, but all are definitely worth having. The songs are kind of a soft rock sound. I think every one of Christine's songs on these albums are terrific, in some cases even better than her songs on later Fleetwood Mac albums. Bob Welch is also great on these albums and Danny Kirwan was also great, although he was only on the first two albums.

Last edited by macfan 57; 01-26-2003 at 06:57 AM..
Old 01-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by macfan 57
There were 5 Fleetwood Mac albums during those years and they are terrific. In my opinion, "Mystery To Me" & "Bare Trees" are the best, but all are definitely worth having. The songs are kind of a soft rock sound. I think every one of Christine's songs on these albums are terrific, in some cases even better than her songs on later Fleetwood Mac albums. Bob Welch is also great on these albums and Danny Kirwin was also great, although he was only on the first two albums. In my opinion, if you don't have these albums, you don't know what you're missing.
Thanks. I did as k for Bare Trees for Xmas, never got it. I'll see if I can get MTM and Bare Trees soon. Thanks for your help.
Sofie
Old 01-25-2003, 01:16 PM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really like Future Games from 1971 which was a pivitol album in their progression. It is like Fleetwood Mac's prog rock album, so if you like Yes, Traffic or Gentle Giant you'll like it.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

"Gentle Giant"...

...now there's a band that doesn't get mentioned very much. I think of all the '70's "Progressive Rock" bands (Yes, King Crimson, ELP, Genesis, etc), Gentle Giant was my favorite. I've got most of their albums...on vinyl, so I haven't listened to them for quite a while.

Pet Peeve:

Ok, ok, ok...you KNOW how you people get annoyed or even downright disgusted when somebody misspells Lindsey's name, "LindsAY"??? Well, same for me with Danny...

...it's KIRWAN, not Kirwin, or Kerwin, or Kirwen, or Kerwan....KIRWAN!!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 04:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by becca
I really like Future Games from 1971 which was a pivitol album in their progression. It is like Fleetwood Mac's prog rock album, so if you like Yes, Traffic or Gentle Giant you'll like it.
I've never heard of any of those bands.
Old 01-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by chiliD

Pet Peeve:

Ok, ok, ok...you KNOW how you people get annoyed or even downright disgusted when somebody misspells Lindsey's name, "LindsAY"??? Well, same for me with Danny...

...it's KIRWAN, not Kirwin, or Kerwin, or Kirwen, or Kerwan....KIRWAN!!!! [/B]
Oops. That's what I get for being in a hurry and not proofreading what I typed. Of course, it's KIRWAN.
Old 01-26-2003, 08:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
Pet Peeve:

...it's KIRWAN, not Kirwin, or Kerwin, or Kirwen, or Kerwan....KIRWAN!!!!
I've actually only seen Danny's surname spelt Kirwin and Kirwan, wasn't very sure which one is right.
And you're right abput people getting annoyed when other people don't spell Lindsey's name right.(well, I get annoyed, anyway)
Old 01-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Ledgie

Well with this having been an evolutionary process for me, my opinion is that they became less listenable in chronological order. Oh yes there were some standout tunes (Hypnotized etc), but a lot of it seemed like they were just going through the motions.

I originally liked Fleetwood Mac because of Peter, Jeremy, and Danny playing the blues. When I saw the "Kiln House" show, I could accept that quite easily because I had always been on the same plane as Jeremy, musically speaking. I thought it was great, because it highlighted my favorite performer. And I liked what he was playing.

What saved the show on their next tour was that Peter had come back. At the time, I didn't think that it was really Peter. Nothing to do with his playing or anything. I just had known that Peter had left, and I didn't expect to see him. I thought that it was a look-alike that had been put on stage to give the apperance that Peter was there. They played all the "Oh Well" Green Manalishi" 'Rattlesnake Shake" stuff. They did not play an extended jam of "Black Magic Woman" that had been reported being played elsewhere.

I remember being down front, directly in front of Peter. During one of the breaks I yelled out "What happened to Jerry" (as Spencer was referred to at that time"). Christine said "It looks like things are falling apart". That gives you an idea of what the band's morale was like at the time.

I always felt bad about dragging those words out of Chris. And I can imagine how Peter must have felt. But I was young and didn't realize what kind of impact that question might have on the group.

Well you can imagine how I recieved them the next time that they came to town. No Peter, no Jeremy. Danny and Chris were really good, but Bob Welsh was no Jeremy Spencer or Peter Green. Future Games was a good song though. And I remember lyrics to the song "What A Shame" that went something like "It's a God Damn Dirty Shame da da da da da". I don't remember any horns being played at that live show. And he played 'Lay It All Down" which alluded to Jeremy.

I didn't care for the Dave Walker period, he was OK in Savoy Brown, but that "Roadrunner" thing just turned me off. But I stuck with them and saw all the shows.

End of rant

Doc

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 01-26-2003 at 01:40 PM..
Old 01-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Doc

Thanks for the rant! I found it very informative!

Thanks a million for clearing up the LONG TME Rumour about that "return of Peter" tour not being "just long jams (etc.)" as I always though that sounded suspect as best (though if it did ever happen, I wouldn't have complained!) but it's good to finally get some truth on the matter.

I am sorry that we do have a difference of opinion on Welch, Walker, etc. but I can respect how much you like/prefer Jeremy and co.

If you can remember anything else about any 70-74 shows etc., please do post about it here as we never hear enough about this period of FM here and I would sure love to hear more of those rants (as I'm sure others here would too)!

John
Old 01-26-2003, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My God, is there no end to the misspellings?? You people are trying my patience!!

WELCH!!! not Welsh.
Old 01-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

WELCH!!! not Welsh.
Always seen it spelt 2 different ways. Someone actually spelt Lindsey's name a different way. He spelt it Lyndsey..(whgich looks very strange)
Old 01-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Ledgie

Get Down ChilliD!

Guess I was so busy making sure all my other info was correct that I overlooked the spelling of Bob's name. I'll guarantee that it won't happen again.

John~ I didn't mean to imply that Bob WelCh was not good. He was very good! It's just that when you go to a show expecting your favorite group to be there, and to be playing a similar style of music that originally drew you to them, and they introduce someone in the lead spot who is so much different in appearance, style, and personality, it is somewhat of a let down.

As for Dave Walker. He also was good. But I had seen him with Savoy Brown, and to have him playing Motown with Fleetwood Mac was not my idea of what I wanted to hear.

Dave was a good musician and singer. But he had the bad timing of being a replacement in two groups, and although he was good, he was not, in my opinion, in the same league as his predecessors in either case, and was judged as such.

For you to do a retrospective study of the history of the group. It's easy to go in and say yeah, that's kind of cool. But I was interested in what was my perception of Fleetwood Mac, and no matter how good they were, they were never going to be that.

Doc
Old 01-27-2003, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Despite being a Fleetwood Mac fan from the beginning, my first opportunity to SEE them in concert wasn't until 1974 (after having tickets to a 1973 concert that turned out to be the BOGUS band...a hip DJ announced that it was NOT Fleetwood Mac that was to appear, therefore I didn't go), so I already was WELL aware of the incarnation I was going to see.

I just kind of wonder how it is that so many people can go to a Fleetwood Mac show without knowing the personnel of the band ahead of time?

I always remember seeing plenty of news regarding each personnel change. I can see that there'd be that "unknown" factor, that "hmmm, I wonder what the new guy/girl will sound like?" thing, but to be totally taken aback because the band has new people seems questionable. I say this mainly from the reaction of folks in 1987 to Lindsey not being in the band...there was TONS of media coverage of his leaving the band. And, even later when the "Time" lineup was on tour, it had been WELL documented at the end of the Behind The Mask tour that Christine & Stevie would be leaving the band; so, to see someone other than Stevie fronting the band should've come as no surprise.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Ledgie

I understand what you are saying ChilliD. Especially about the later stuff.

But for me, I was a street person back then. Not homeless, but a hippie who was more interested in going out and scoring whatever, than to be paying attention to the news.

And even if I had heard something, I was always hoping that my heroes would return just as suddenly as they had vanished.

I'm talking about the late 60's here, and it seems that the possibility of bands breaking up, or people dying, or personell changes was kind of a new thing.

We were used to the artists that had seemed to have been around forever. My thoughts at the time were that if they were making money they would always be there. I soon learned that things were not that way.

I still have the newspaper article stating that Jeremy had joined the Children of God and was making a comeback at a local venue.

I think that Foghat was on the bill with Jeremy. I only saw about three shows at this particular venue. One was Fleetwood Mac and Savoy Brown. I think that Long John Baldry was also at that one or it was a different show with Savoy Brown. I have the ticket stubs but the names of the acts were not printed on them so I hand wrote what I wanted to retain.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor Brown; 01-27-2003 at 11:39 AM..