Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default First Fleetwood Mac live shows

I recently came across a listing for live FM shows that listed a show at "The Middle Earth Club" dated August 1967 - it was a five song set (or that was all that was recorded): Something Inside of Me (Elmore James) / Ooh Baby / Sugar Mama / A Fool No More / and Mean Old World -

Now, their debut is usually listed as the Windsor Festival 08/13
The date for "Marquee" set most often used is 08/ 15 -

What I find so interesting is the that none of the songs from the club date were done again until much later, though they did record "Fool" for the first album - I think it took a lot of confidence for a band just introducing themselves to the public to do a song like that before a club audience -

"Ooh Baby" and "Sugar Mama" they dug out for the "Blues Jam in Chicago" and "SM" became something of a staple at their later shows -

"Mean Old World" they did on the BBC sessions with Danny on lead vocal

If anyone can shed light on the possible dates or set lists it would be appreciated

thanks

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 04-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Ledgie

The thing that I find interesting is that "Something Inside of Me" was a Danny Kirwan song. Of course he had not yet joined the group at the time mentioned. I don't have any indicators that Jeremy had done that one.

They were doing some gigs around that time.

Doc
Old 04-15-2003, 12:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default dear Doctor

I should have made it clearer that the song mentioned, "Something Inside Of Me" was an Elmore James song - now I haven't heard any recordings from this show, and I don't know of FM doing the song on other occasions, but I think it pretty safe to say, that since Danny wasn't yet with the band, and Jeremy's obsession with James pretty well documented - it was a cover -
It's actually too bad they didn't record it - it's one of James' better numbers and does not use the "Dust My Broom" riff - it's a tortured slow burner, so who knows, (if someone does, please pass on the info), it may have been Peter Green on lead vocal & guitar - that I'd pay for!

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder