Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-13-2022, 10:02 AM

Default Far Out Christine's Best 7 Songs

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/christi...fleetwood-mac/
Old 07-13-2022, 10:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As long as you follow is one of my favorites. Hard to distinguish faves from "bests", if best is defined technically; at least to me since I'm not a professional musician. But I would replace Think about me with ALAYF. I like TAM, but never crazy about it. But that's just based on my personal faves list.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
As long as you follow is one of my favorites. Hard to distinguish faves from "bests", if best is defined technically; at least to me since I'm not a professional musician. But I would replace Think about me with ALAYF. I like TAM, but never crazy about it. But that's just based on my personal faves list.
I adore that song. It's one of her best and my fav!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Not a bad list. I think her best song is Why but I dont have an issue with the songs listed. Its nearly impossible to rank her songs because they are all so good. Glad to see Oh Daddy get the love it deserves. No TRUE or REAL Fleetwood Mac fan can discard Oh Daddy.
Old 07-13-2022, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Glad she’s getting any press and recognition, though there are some annoying inaccuracies. She married John in 1969, AFTER she participated in Mr. Wonderful. They were never songwriting partners. And then there’s this opinion regarding the period of 1970-74:

“For the next five albums, McVie would act as keyboardist along with taking on co-lead vocalist duties. Her vocals were often the highlights of this particular era, but it wasn’t until the arrival of Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham that McVie’s songwriting began to match her musical talents.”

McVie’s songwriting was firmly established by the time of Penguin. Yes, she was far more successful commercially once LB/SN joined, but it’s hard to argue that “Why,” “Remember Me,” “Bad Loser,” and “Prove Your Love” aren’t as fully realized as any number of her better-known songs.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
McVie’s songwriting was firmly established by the time of Penguin. Yes, she was far more successful commercially once LB/SN joined, but it’s hard to argue that “Why,” “Remember Me,” “Bad Loser,” and “Prove Your Love” aren’t as fully realized as any number of her better-known songs.
Penguin is really when McVie hit her stride as a songwriter. That is not to discount some of her pre-Penguin work, as "Show Me a Smile" is sublime and "Spare Me a Little of Your Love" matches the caliber of her hit singles.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Not a bad list. I think her best song is Why but I dont have an issue with the songs listed. Its nearly impossible to rank her songs because they are all so good. Glad to see Oh Daddy get the love it deserves. No TRUE or REAL Fleetwood Mac fan can discard Oh Daddy.
Sorry Macfan4life, I’m a tried and true fan of FM’s music and have been for 45 years, and I really dislike Oh Daddy. And I’m pretty sure I’m not alone here. Just different tastes, that’s all.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Sorry Macfan4life, I’m a tried and true fan of FM’s music and have been for 45 years, and I really dislike Oh Daddy. And I’m pretty sure I’m not alone here. Just different tastes, that’s all.
You are in a club of 2 on this board.

All you chiffon heads think alike
Old 07-13-2022, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, it's good to see that at least two songs are not from Rumours -I'm not counting Say You Love Me as well-. Big applause for Think About Me and Little Lies!
I'm here to say I'm the other one on this forum who dislikes Oh Daddy I don't hate it, but I simply don't like it as I like others!
And I'm not here to write another list of my fav songs of Christine, but there's lot of works from the past which deserve more credit. Remember Me, Spare Me A Little, Heroes Are Hard To Find, Come A Little Bit Closer!! Please!!! Where is Over My Head, one of her first Top 20 with the band?? Where are Everywhere, Love In Store, Hold Me??
Old 07-13-2022, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I really dislike Oh Daddy. And I’m pretty sure I’m not alone here. Just different tastes, that’s all.
At college, a teacher once said that whisky and milk are kind of acquired tastes; that is, you don't like them at first but you like them over time.

That's exactly what happened to me with Oh Daddy
Old 07-13-2022, 04:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At college, a teacher once said that whisky and milk are kind of acquired tastes; that is, you don't like them at first but you like them over time.

Oh Daddy was always my least favorite song on Rumours until about 15 years ago. It fit the album perfectly but just was my least favorite. I love all of Chris's songs but there is something about her somber songs like Oh Daddy , Over and Over, and Ask Anybody that move me. However its not really Chris's singing or lyrics why I love the song. IMHO the music track IS Fleetwood mac. If you wanted to put a sound in a time capsule and open it 100 years later and play for people to understand the Mac sound, this would be it. I just wish there was an extended version that let Chris play out. Chris's organ through the song is mind blowing. I always loved the 20th anniversary of Rumours dissection of the song. Everything including the lonely castanet haunts me.
I love when Mick says he was not Keith Moon but was getting there

The Making of Oh Daddy at 4:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-rfUhM3dxk

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-13-2022 at 04:35 PM..
Old 07-13-2022, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Oh Daddy was always my least favorite song on Rumours until about 15 years. However its not really Chris's singing or lyrics why I love the song. IMHO the music track IS Fleetwood mac. If you wanted to put a sound in a time capsule and open it 100 years later and play for people to understand the Mac sound, this would be it. I just wish there was an extended version that let Chris play out.
Oh dear, we have a problem here. I will never believe Oh Daddy is THE song that represents Fleetwood Mac. The Chain, I could accept; Don’t Stop, I could accept. Go Your Own Way, I could accept. Landslide, I could accept. Oh Daddy, I cannot accept. I don’t hate it, it’s just very very low on my list. Very low. Christine’s catalogue is full of incredible songs that jump out at me, but Oh Daddy just does not jump out at me. Comparing the song to her other, more somber efforts, like Brown Eyes, Over and Over, Never Make Me Cry, or Warm Ways, Oh Daddy pleases my ear the least.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I’ve heard the same thing about cigarettes and coffee!

As Long As You Follow is a favorite of mine, too. I suppose the reasons I love ALAYF are why I don’t care for Oh Daddy- one song has the beautiful harmonies FM is known for; one song has that incredible guitar wrapped up in the bass and drums; and one song has beautiful lyrics that sound like she’s singing directly to the fans. Not that it’s a deal breaker, but after all these years I really have no idea what Oh Daddy is about, nor do I care. The lyrics don't do anything for me, and I don’t care for the music, either.

But hey, both songs can exist in peace and harmony LOL!
Old 07-13-2022, 05:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh dear, we have a problem here. I will never believe Oh Daddy is THE song that represents Fleetwood Mac. The Chain, I could accept; Don’t Stop, I could accept. Go Your Own Way, I could accept. Landslide, I could accept. Oh Daddy, I cannot accept. I don’t hate it, it’s just very very low on my list. Very low. Christine’s catalogue is full of incredible songs that jump out at me, but Oh Daddy just does not jump out at me. Comparing the song to her other, more somber efforts, like Brown Eyes, Over and Over, Never Make Me Cry, or Warm Ways, Oh Daddy pleases my ear the least.
I agree. I started to analyze why OD would represent the Fleetwood Mac sound. I got lost. But in the middle of that, I thought... Oh Daddy fits more into Tusk than Rumours.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I started to analyze why OD would represent the Fleetwood Mac sound. I got lost. But in the middle of that, I thought... Oh Daddy fits more into Tusk than Rumours.
We must have different records . The Rumours FM sound had the mid 70s sound. Chris's playing is vintage Mac playing. Lindsey has a mystical guitar and he plays off Christine. It is the MAC sound. No way a Tusk track. Its classic Rumours. Fleetwood Mac had a very mystical sound prior to Stevie and Lindsey. That sound showed itself here and there after they joined and this is probably the best example. Mick, John, Chris and Lindsey created the most magical track. When you hear the track, its no guess its Fleetwood Mac. Some are chasing the pop songs of Seven Wonders and cant hear the depth of the music sometimes.

Brilliant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfc3y0G511Y

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-13-2022 at 05:50 PM..