Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Are there any hit songs from Behind the Mask or Time

The favorite non-hit song contest now moves in the Post-Rumours era with discussion about Behind the Mask and Time

Are there any songs from these two albums that you feel should count as hits and not be in the contest?
Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

In the U.S., 'Save Me' was a hit. Same with 'Skies the Limit'.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

I think "Love Is Dangerous" also cracked the top ten of the US rock charts.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well according the wikipedia, "Save Me" hit #33 on the US charts. So far the highest ranking song we voted as a hit was "Love in Store" at #22.

"Skies the Limit" did hit #10 on the U.S. AC charts, while "Love is Dangerous" hit #7 on the U.S. rock charts.

I guess the question is do we loosen our standards in what we deem as hits, just so that we can have some hits from these albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac_discography
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

"Save Me" is definitely a hit, because it made the Top 40 on Billboard's Hot 100 chart (and just ask Casey Kasem -- Top 40 is considered a hit).

"Skies" and "Hard Feelings" were the only other commercially released singles ("Love Is Dangerous" was only released as a promo single), and both failed to chart on the Hot 100.

(The AC and Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks charts only reflect what's being played on stations in those genres, while the Hot 100 rankings are based on a combined total of a song's airplay on all radio stations, plus its commercial sales. The chart also used to factor in jukebox play data, but now factors in digital streaming. So while there are often songs that are quite popular on the niche stations, their sales data and total airplay data doesn't always reach Hot 100 levels.)

In regards to 'Time,' there were no charting singles (the album itself also failed to chart in the US).

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 04-14-2012 at 10:31 PM..
Old 04-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I beleive Time did chart in the UK though. Also, "I Do" was a single but perhaps not a "hit". There was also a sports/soccer? Cd that had Blow by Blow on it, but then again far from hit status. IMO best potential hit would have been Winds of Change. Record label was not behind this album in the slightest. Back in the early 90's Boston/Providence area stations played alot of tracks off the BTM album...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Save Me was the ONLY hit. The other singles were just also rans.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Would we include MTV video play? The video for "Skies The Limit" was in "Heavy Rotation" on MTV.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll count Save Me as a hit, though I'm still undecided about Skies the Limit. Good point you made, chiliD about video airplay. Skies the Limit did have a music video and if we consider it a non-hit, it would be the only 'non-hit' with a video.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
I'll count Save Me as a hit, though I'm still undecided about Skies the Limit. Good point you made, chiliD about video airplay. Skies the Limit did have a music video and if we consider it a non-hit, it would be the only 'non-hit' with a video.
Skies the Limit had some rotation on MTV, but the song bombed. It was not hit.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Behind maybe...but Time...

Hi there! Unfortunately, Paper Doll can't be on a possible poll. I think it's the only "hit" from the Post-Rumours era.
I don't believe in what Billboard says. Some songs around the world were better than what Billboard said.
For the Time album, there's no hits. Or something similar. And from Behind the Mask...it was very commercial, and it's hard to me to find one true hit.
Regards!
Old 04-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Senior Ledgie

Are "As Long As You Follow" and "No Questions Asked" considered to be Post-Rumours Era Mac? They weren't recorded with Lindsey, they were recorded with Billy and Rick, so it seems to me that As Long As You Follow would be considered a hit from the Post-Rumours Era.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFan92 View Post
Are "As Long As You Follow" and "No Questions Asked" considered to be Post-Rumours Era Mac? They weren't recorded with Lindsey, they were recorded with Billy and Rick, so it seems to me that As Long As You Follow would be considered a hit from the Post-Rumours Era.
Good question! This thread is just for Behind the Mask/Time albums. Later on as the contest progresses, we'll pick up Christine, Lindsey, and Stevie's "extra" FM and decide if they are hits.

But yeah to answer your question, ALAYF and NQA are considered Post-Rumours era.

I've decided "Save Me" is the only hit from these two albums. All other songs from these albums will be in the contest.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Love Shines" has been a big radio airplay hit back in the day here in Germany and they still play it.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know if it charted or not, but "When The Sun Goes Down" got LOTS of airplay on the COUNTRY stations here in CT. Whenever they played it they would say it was "Fleetwood Mac featuring Billy Burnette". He did score a few minor country hits previously so I think that's the angle they were going for.