Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:55 AM

Default Why (Live Chicago 1974, Oct)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rFlp5dETA
Old 03-07-2022, 09:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wow, thanks! Her voice is pitch-perfect but huskier than usual in this performance. I have always preferred the 1974 versions of Why to the BN-era ones. With Welch, she was simulating the arrangement from the album, and he provided really effective lead guitar. The BN-era versions have nice harmonies but the country-tinged arrangement, while pretty, is less distinctive than the original song.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-07-2022 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-07-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Wow, thanks! Her voice is pitch-perfect but huskier thank usual in this performance. I have always preferred the 1974 versions of Why to the BN-era ones. With Welch, she was simulating the arrangement from the album, and he provided really effective lead guitar. The BN-era versions have nice harmonies but the country-tinged arrangement, while pretty, is less distinctive than the original song.
I don't like the BN versions either. The Welch live era songs have more depth and layers. I did like Bob's harmony on this.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

This would be the Heroes tour?
Timestamp: 2 months before the famous studio live concert? and just a little longer before the famous Texas Taco margarita night
Old 03-07-2022, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't like the BN versions either. The Welch live era songs have more depth and layers. I did like Bob's harmony on this.
Agreed. And the Sausalito “Believe Me” kills in comparison to that version played live in 76 or 77.
Old 03-07-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Agreed. And the Sausalito “Believe Me” kills in comparison to that version played live in 76 or 77.
Oh, God yes. Even her Spare Me's are better in the Welch era. Hypnotized Too! Much prefer Welch/McVie.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The live music from the Welch Mc Vie era that has surfaced including the remastered CD with the box set, is a testament to how great these two were together. the music and performances are simply outstanding. It is at least on par with Mc Vie's collaborations with Lindsey.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
The live music from the Welch Mc Vie era that has surfaced including the remastered CD with the box set, is a testament to how great these two were together. the music and performances are simply outstanding. It is at least on par with Mc Vie's collaborations with Lindsey.
YES! As the first American in the band, he really paved the way for Lindsey and Stevie. The band harmonized and even got more mystical with Bob. Yet when you talk about or hear about harmonizing and mystical songs, you instantly think of Stevie and Lindsey. Bob built the foundation for an easier transition to the 2 new American kids.
Old 03-08-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Absolutely! Some of the Bare Trees tour cuts are simply amazing.
I love this era, album wise and live. Too bad they cut Christine's solo from the Bermuda Triangle live re-master. I have the bootleg and will never listen to that cut ever again. What an insult.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Too bad they cut Christine's solo from the Bermuda Triangle live re-master.
They shortened those live cuts?! I don’t go for that crap. Why did they do that?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-08-2022, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They shortened those live cuts?! I don’t go for that crap. Why did they do that?
It was so frustrating! Most of the versions floating around have cut the piano solo, though if you get one with it, you’ll see it’s a creative, logical solo. Nothing flashy but very effective. My guess as to why it was left off is because the engineers were probably working from one of the already-cut portions. Though some pre- and post-song banter was also removed, so maybe the reason was about timing? Doubt it.

It’s so effing ludicrous.
Old 03-09-2022, 12:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the high harmony on this is Doug Graves, because it doesn't sound like the Record Plant version.

As with "Spare Me A Little," I thought the BN version got a little...Melrose Place? If that makes sense. Like, too safe, bordering on bland, but not altogether bad.

The BN version of "Believe Me" was horrible. It just plodded along, making me wish it was over. The best was the Record Plant version, which blows away every other version, followed by the Midnight Special version. The Record Plant version is a power pop classic, or at least should have been. I always put it on my power pop comps and people are blown away when they find out who it was.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-09-2022, 01:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think the high harmony on this is Doug Graves, because it doesn't sound like the Record Plant version.

As with "Spare Me A Little," I thought the BN version got a little...Melrose Place? If that makes sense. Like, too safe, bordering on bland, but not altogether bad.

The BN version of "Believe Me" was horrible. It just plodded along, making me wish it was over. The best was the Record Plant version, which blows away every other version, followed by the Midnight Special version. The Record Plant version is a power pop classic, or at least should have been. I always put it on my power pop comps and people are blown away when they find out who it was.
I agree about the Record Plant “Believe Me.” It’s so hot, miles better than the solid album version. Bobby Hunt’s organ is a standout, but even without it the track would have burned.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 03-09-2022 at 09:25 AM..
Old 03-09-2022, 08:12 AM

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

I love that there is even a Midnight Special to watch. That also indicates to me that they did have a fan base and folks did know who they were at that time. They definitely were much more widely known than B/N. (USA wise) Christine and Bob really carry the band well as leads.

I believe you on the high harmony because I felt it didn't sound like Welch.
Old 03-11-2022, 03:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I love that there is even a Midnight Special to watch. That also indicates to me that they did have a fan base and folks did know who they were at that time. They definitely were much more widely known than B/N. (USA wise) Christine and Bob really carry the band well as leads.
Think of it this way: Fleetwood Mac with Bob Welch sold at least twice as many albums as Wilco.

Martin Birch is the same producer that made “Smoke On The Water” and “Highway Star” around the same time, and Zep IV (Rock & Roll, Stairway To Heaven) was recorded on the Rolling Stone Mobile Unit.

THE Stephen Hopkins