Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2022, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Although he's mellowed greatly with age, Lindsey was always full of himself.

And yeah, I get that he didn't want to play someone else's hits, but then they shouldn't have joined FM if that were the case.

"Hey Birmingham, how ya doin'?", (to all three Buckingham Nicks fans that are still alive!)
Since Lindsey played bass before it was hysterical in Mick's first book when Lindsey told John to do it "this way" during the making of the Fleetwood Mac album. They had a big blow up and then Lindsey learned not to question John and his playing ever again. I think Mick commented that it was a good thing to happen right away to put perimeters around each player. John was not going to let some California new kid on the block tell him how to play bass I'm John F***ing McVie you bloody berk!

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-16-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Old 07-16-2022, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Since Lindsey played bass before it was hysterical in Mick's first book when Lindsey told John to do it "this way" during the making of the Fleetwood Mac album. They had a big blow up and then Lindsey learned not to question John and his playing ever again. I think Mick commented that it was a good thing to happen right away to put perimeters around each player. John was not going to let some California new kid on the block tell him how to play bass I'm John F***ing McVie you bloody berk!
Lindsey was a spoiled brat, who was used to always getting his way.
Old 07-16-2022, 04:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Please fill me in what Lindsey said to diminish Bob. I must have missed something. I dont equate Lindsey not wanting to perform Bob's songs as a dis. Lindsey did not want to be a cover band of someone else.
There is one story from Bob's site I would LOVE to ask Lindsey about. Its the story that Bob said he ran into Lindsey shortly after he quit the band and they were recording the White album. Bob said that Lindsey asked him "How the hell did you stand these people?"
I just found that so funny.

I once heard Lindsey diminish Eddie Van Halen and if I did not hear it I would not believe it. It was something like how Van Halen is one dimensional and has no melody. Its just guitar chords. I am paraphrasing badly and cant remember the exact quote I heard in some interview. He wasnt going after Eddie but was comparing his style to his and it sounded like a dis to me because I remember thinking OUCH!
Lindsey initially bristled against Bob’s legacy and then, once the band became widely popular, overtly discredited it. He has done this on numerous occasions, from 1976-recent years. He recognizes Green and Kirwan as antecedents, but only mentions Bob’s music in a negative context, as a disavowal.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It's true. Lindsey quite often marginalizes Bob's music and Stevie has never done that. As if he were some artistic genius and everyone else was always a lounge act. I don't think Lindsey has anything against Bob. He just thinks his music is above what the other writers have put out. And when you listen to his recent stuff, it's mind boggling how he can think any of these lyrics are beyond what Bob wrote.
I don't mind, we've been mellow.
For what it’s worth, when interviewed a year after LB/CM, the interviewer tried to open the door on two or three occasions to get him to say nice things about Christine’s songs and singing and he just wouldn’t do it. He stuck to admiring her commitment craft. That’s as far as he went.
Old 07-16-2022, 09:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham's bass playing isn't even anything special. He rarely ventures out beyond the root notes. I believe one reviewer called the bass playing on Buckingham's eponymous album "uninventive" or something along those lines.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bob was the catalyst that brought the band to the States. Its ok to say that Chris.
According to Mick (first book), Mystery was a hit in America, “and Fleetwood Mac at that point didn't mean s**t in Europe”. They had no money coming in, they had a lawsuit thing with Clifford Davies, the Fleetwood Mac name, etc. So yes, Bob was a catalyst though there were many factors that boosted the moving to US.

Bob Welch, in Los Angeles, was anxious to relocate FleetwoodMac to California. On crackling phone ransmissions, he worked to convince me we had to move closer to our all-important record company, our lifeline to our audience. He correctly saw that we couldn't win our lawsuit in England and couldn't make another record until we somehow proved who we were, and renegotiated our record deal. "We can't live on air," he told me. "We'd better get this thing going again somewhere else, or we can forget about it and all get jobs."

I got off the phone and looked around. England in winter seemed desultory, bare, and gray. I felt depressed. Finally I said, look, let's get out of England and go to America. The record company's there, and we have to tell them that we're still here, let's make an album. Neither Christine nor John was keen to do it.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
According to Mick (first book), Mystery was a hit in America, “and Fleetwood Mac at that point didn't mean s**t in Europe”. They had no money coming in, they had a lawsuit thing with Clifford Davies, the Fleetwood Mac name, etc. So yes, Bob was a catalyst though there were many factors that boosted the moving to US.

Bob Welch, in Los Angeles, was anxious to relocate FleetwoodMac to California. On crackling phone ransmissions, he worked to convince me we had to move closer to our all-important record company, our lifeline to our audience. He correctly saw that we couldn't win our lawsuit in England and couldn't make another record until we somehow proved who we were, and renegotiated our record deal. "We can't live on air," he told me. "We'd better get this thing going again somewhere else, or we can forget about it and all get jobs."

I got off the phone and looked around. England in winter seemed desultory, bare, and gray. I felt depressed. Finally I said, look, let's get out of England and go to America. The record company's there, and we have to tell them that we're still here, let's make an album. Neither Christine nor John was keen to do it.
Yes and from Bob's perspective it was even more convincing on his part. Luckily he convinced Mick because the McVies were not going to do it.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Please fill me in what Lindsey said to diminish Bob. I must have missed something. I dont equate Lindsey not wanting to perform Bob's songs as a dis. Lindsey did not want to be a cover band of someone else.
There is one story from Bob's site I would LOVE to ask Lindsey about. Its the story that Bob said he ran into Lindsey shortly after he quit the band and they were recording the White album. Bob said that Lindsey asked him "How the hell did you stand these people?"
I just found that so funny.

I once heard Lindsey diminish Eddie Van Halen and if I did not hear it I would not believe it. It was something like how Van Halen is one dimensional and has no melody. Its just guitar chords. I am paraphrasing badly and cant remember the exact quote I heard in some interview. He wasnt going after Eddie but was comparing his style to his and it sounded like a dis to me because I remember thinking OUCH!

Lindsey liked Bob, and had a hard time dealing with the brits up arrival (yes, they shared that vibe and conversation). It's not as rosy as Christine likes to paint it when they all first met. And yes; she, Mick, and Lindsey even helped him produce and perform on a couple of Bob's albums.

But, in interviews when talking about the Welch period,(especially lately) he's always made cheeky kinds of comments about how that music wasn't up to what he was doing. And of course, yes he hated doing Hypmotized, and Green Man, etc. Also, read the law suit and see what he has to say about Welch period.