The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm one of the Christine fans who are clamouring for new music. I heard two years ago that she and Lindsey were recording some great new songs, and I want to hear them. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

I am also in the "Stevie is overrated" camp. I like her songs, but not as much as I like Christine's and Lindsey's songs (and Bob's and Danny's and Peter's and Jeremy's songs, for that matter). I don't think her presence is essential to the artistic quality of a new album. Since every indication points to her being the one holding up a new album, it just makes sense for them to go ahead without her, just as they went ahead without Christine by making 'Say You Will.'

I also think Stevie is being unfair to the rest of the band by not stating her intentions. If she is willing to commit to recording with them in 2017, then she should say so, and they could wait for her. But if she's not willing to make that commitment, they should go ahead and finish up the album they've already partially recorded. Maybe this would actually be a huge relief to Stevie, who apparently really hates being in the studio with Lindsey, according to what people are saying in this thread.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Well, maybe we're being too harsh. Christine has the right to go back to England and do gardening. It seems strange that after all those world tours, she suddenly developed a fear of flying, though. Plus, she could have recorded one more album with the band before she flew back to England. Instead, she did a world tour and then split.

You're right- it was all about the cash for Christine! She wasn't even willing to put in the time for new mx. Very telling, indeed!
I suspect you are just trolling, but nevertheless, Christine was never against making new music with the band. She was tired of touring-- living out of a suitcase, killing time during the day before shows when if you were home you could be with family, working on your garden, cooking-- you know, doing real life stuff. Touring requires you to have no life other than the band with lots of boring time in between. I don't blame her. And she developed a fear of flying which seems to affect at least some member of almost every band. You fly enough you see enough close calls. Or you figure you're tempting the odds. whatever. But she never, ever, said she wouldn't make new music. She was hoping to work on SYW. It was the BAND that said nope, if'n you're not gonna tour, no-go. (Maybe that was Lindsey being petulant since he didn't want to tour Tango and the band forced his hand).

The difference with Stevie is that she hasn't said she won't tour. Them's magic words for this band. They're all about the touring, more than the recording. If she said she would no longer tour, then they'd have to really make a choice. She says she doesn't want to record now, but is open to another tour in a year or so.... you bet they're gonna sit around and wait. It's been their choice, and they've made clear what their priorities are. ka-ching.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Well, maybe we're being too harsh. Christine has the right to go back to England and do gardening. It seems strange that after all those world tours, she suddenly developed a fear of flying, though. Plus, she could have recorded one more album with the band before she flew back to England. Instead, she did a world tour and then split.

You're right- it was all about the cash for Christine! She wasn't even willing to put in the time for new mx. Very telling, indeed!
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Christine did not "suddenly" develop a fear of flying. She never liked it but was a trooper. In 1990 she mentioned how bad touring got for her where she stated she could not sleep in a different bed every night. She said she would drink a bottle of wine to go to sleep and that worked at night but then she was hung over during the day. When her father passed away she made sure all the dates were rescheduled and played. She was very honest with the band and never pulled drama. She said she would no longer tour with the band but STILL went into the studio to record an album without BOTH Lindsey and Stevie. It would have been too easy to walk away from the band at that time.
Christine has always been good with her money. She does not need the money. She was depressed living in exile away from civilization. After over a decade she finally realized what she missed. I would imagine she did not even make a dime on her 1984 solo tour. She had to pay for travel and hotel for everyone, pay the band, and pay the Baxter Robinson Band too. She was a trooper and played on. Christine loves her craft.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Hi Michele,

If this album were to come out let's say in 2017, there could be a lot of press indicating it's the first release from THIS lineup in 30 Years. I don't see how that wouldn't get the die hards and the casual fans excited. I recall that Eagles album several years back that was pretty popular and may have been a Walmart exclusive.

Times are certainly different now with streaming, but I could see them getting mentioned on all the entertainment sites and shows.
Yes, the diehards would be excited. That's certainly true. I don't think casual fans would care. It would get them mentioned on the entertainment sites and shows, but frankly, if they recorded without Stevie, that would get a lot of press too. They would say that the band that became famous for its interpersonal conflicts still has them and the press would eat up the friction. It seems like that's all they want to interview them about anyway, the disagreements. So, recording without Stevie and airing dirty laundry would be right up the media's alley.

Michele
Old 08-14-2016, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey always talks about how he makes albums now just for the small amount of people that are interested. He hasn't really aimed for commercial success in a very long time.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I'm one of the Christine fans who are clamouring for new music. I heard two years ago that she and Lindsey were recording some great new songs, and I want to hear them. That doesn't seem unreasonable.

I am also in the "Stevie is overrated" camp. I like her songs, but not as much as I like Christine's and Lindsey's songs (and Bob's and Danny's and Peter's and Jeremy's songs, for that matter). I don't think her presence is essential to the artistic quality of a new album. Since every indication points to her being the one holding up a new album, it just makes sense for them to go ahead without her, just as they went ahead without Christine by making 'Say You Will.'

I also think Stevie is being unfair to the rest of the band by not stating her intentions. If she is willing to commit to recording with them in 2017, then she should say so, and they could wait for her. But if she's not willing to make that commitment, they should go ahead and finish up the album they've already partially recorded. Maybe this would actually be a huge relief to Stevie, who apparently really hates being in the studio with Lindsey, according to what people are saying in this thread.

This is exactly how I feel and think on the matter. Thanks for saying it so clearly.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
if they recorded without Stevie, that would get a lot of press too. They would say that the band that became famous for its interpersonal conflicts still has them and the press would eat up the friction. It seems like that's all they want to interview them about anyway, the disagreements. So, recording without Stevie and airing dirty laundry would be right up the media's alley.

Michele
genius, actually. THEY NEED TO DO THIS!! Lindsey's final revenge!!!

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post

I know this might sound crazy, but what if she has stated her intentions to them, but she just hasn't stated them to you? Would that pass your fairness test or no?
Old 08-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Ledgie

It would totally pass my fairness test and I believe it is what is happening. Stevie is not going to let her band down. It's too quiet.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sands of time View Post
I know this might sound crazy, but what if she has stated her intentions to them, but she just hasn't stated them to you? Would that pass your fairness test or no?
Mick sure didn't seem to know what was going on. Wants an album but doesn't know if there will be one, specifically putting the blame on Stevie, and hopes the music they've worked on comes out before they're dead and gone.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 08-17-2016 at 02:21 AM..
Old 08-17-2016, 04:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Mick sure didn't seem to know what was going on. Wants an album but doesn't know if there will be one, specifically putting the blame on Stevie, and hopes the music they've worked on comes out before they're dead and gone.
Or he knows exactly what is going on and used the Rolling Stone interview to put pressure on Stevie to get on board with a new album.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wouldn't it be nice to have an album that didn't involve somebody being pressured into it? I'd love a new album, but only one that everyone was there willingly to make. If Stevie caves and her parts are phoned in, we will all be able to tell and be disappointed by the end result. I think John said it best in Destiny Rules about Chris "It would be a shame for her to be here if she really didn't want to be here"

This isn't a group that should be stuck in a room for a year making an album, that doesn't bode well for them anymore. I wish they would consider working in small chunks, do a second EP with two of Stevie's songs and two of Christine's. Release it, come back in 6-8months and work on another EP with Lindsey's material etc.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Don't let Mick fool you...He knows EXACTALY what's going on...He also knows where Stevie stands in terms of recording with Lindsey...Perhaps Stevie told Mick after SYW that she's done and will NEVER record with FM again unless it's done her way and with the producer of her choice...

Mick is also full of crap...FM can put out an album anytime they choose, granted it might not be the record they want to make but what is stopping them besides greed and big egos...
Old 08-17-2016, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac is dead. The fireflies have been Weekend at Bernie-ing it's lifeless body since The Dance.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

People release just singles these days. Chris and Lindsey could even do just one song and put it out. I mean, come on.

The full band thing sure, can be done anytime, but the point is there was momentum over Chris' return, there was a swell of media and fan (casual fans, hardcore fans are always interested) interest and there was a nice wave of attention they could have ridden that would have pushed up sales to some extent. No, never to the platinum or even gold status but nevertheless more than putting it out cold.

I'm sure Stevie traded her time off after the last 4-piece tour to go right back out with Chris, and she wants her time off now. I get it. But I can't help thinking of the Lindsey/Christine stuff as "stale" by now.