Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Here's the post on Daily Kos that talks about the first baby, Trig. In the photos on Kos, Bristol is clearly pregnant. Sarah Palin is not. That baby is her grandchild, not her child. And her abstinence only educated 17 year old daughter is now pregnant aqgain for the second time in her young life. It's quite an eye opener about Sarah Palin. What a bonehead move by the McCain camp in nominating her.

http://dailykos.com/story/2008/8/30/...137/486/580223
Old 09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Hmm...
I like some of her views & dislike others. Like just about everybody, some of her views contradict others, inherently or by extension. For example, she deplores the idea of allowing bureaucrats to dictate medical treatment options to physicians, yet she apparently encourages the idea of allowing bureaucrats to dictate to biologists to teach ID.

She said she wants tougher sentences on violent criminals, but doesn't specify. I want an across-the-board three-factor increase in sentences: If the sentence for rape or assault is seven years, make it 21 years.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The bad outweighs the good with her, IMO. And I believe she lied about being pregnant. That baby is her daughter's.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Sarah wants to dictate what other women do with their own bodies and can't even teach her underage daughter the basics of birth control?!Yeah just what we need ..She is beginning to make Smirky seem smart..or maybe not.
Check out the link I posted to the story and photos on Kos, if you haven't already. It's a doozy.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...d.html?showall

Palin opposed sex-ed

Sarah Palin's personal story, and her views on personal morality, are at the core of her politics and of why she was nominated, and why she'd energized the conservative base.

Now, her daughter's pregnancy has cast her views on teenagers and sex directly into the spotlight.

Democrats noted, before and after today's announcement, that Palin took a hard line on a question in 2006 from the conservative Eagle Forum Alaska:

Q: Will you support funding for abstinence-until-marriage education instead of for explicit sex-education programs, school-based clinics, and the distribution of contraceptives in schools?

SP: Yes, the explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support.

Palin also opposes abortion in cases like her daughter's, and in harder cases.

"We're proud of Bristol's decision to have her baby," she and her husband said in a statement. Unsaid in the statement is that Palin, based on her past views, would prefer that her daughter not be given a choice.

"I am pro-life. With the exception of a doctor’s determination that the mother’s life would end if the pregnancy continued. I believe that no matter what mistakes we make as a society, we cannot condone ending an innocent’s life," Palin said in the same questionnaire.

When an Alaska court last year overturned the state's law mandating parental consent for minors to have abortions, Palin criticized the ruling and suggested parental consent be instituted by constitutional amendment.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 09-01-2008 at 01:41 PM..
Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Sweet Jeezus..What was McCain thinking..I hate to say but I think the old boy may be getting a tad senile.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Sweet Jeezus..What was McCain thinking..I hate to say but I think the old boy may be getting a tad senile.
Oh man. The next two months are going to be f-u-n. This governor chick is a gift to the Dems. Thanks gramps!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The bad outweighs the good with her, IMO. And I believe she lied about being pregnant. That baby is her daughter's.
They've done DNA testing or something?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 09-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
There's a difference between the concept of birth control and the banning of abortion even in cases of rape & incest (which Palin enthusiastically supports).

If you're cool with that, then, okay. But lets not equate prophylactic birth control with faith-based government ordained bodily control.
I am a doctor in a college town. Here, 99% of abortions are college girls seeking after the fact birth control. And I bet we are not the only place like this.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 09-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
They've done DNA testing or something?
No. And there never will be. You know that. That's how these people roll. I'm just saying I don't think Governor Palin had that baby. I think it's her grandchild.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
I am a doctor in a college town. Here, 99% of abortions are college girls seeking after the fact birth control. And I bet we are not the only place like this.
Is the morning after pill available in your area? Are you saying we should ban abortion to teach these women a lesson?
Old 09-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Is the morning after pill available in your area? Are you saying we should ban abortion to teach these women a lesson?
There are so many multiple offenders, over and over again so they are not learning any lesson. They could get the pill (or pill combo-its a normal BCP taken in a specific way so it is available anywhere). But they just "take care of it' over and over. I don't think they should be having abortions as post-fact birth control. I am 10 weeks pregnant and I saw my baby's heart beat last week, and 10 weeks is a fairly normal time for abortion. The baby looked like a real baby already, and I can not fathom electing to take its life. Late term abortions look like preemies when they go in the garbage. So sad.

Incest, rape, and mother's health make up only a very small proportion, but in that small proportion I think it is morally ok. But when you could just get a norplant, there is no excuse.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 09-01-2008, 03:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You would think that given my circumstances (inability to get pregnant, etc), I would be a staunch pro-lifer and I'm not. I believe in women having the right to make their own decisions. However, those decisions should and must be made early on. Late term abortion is heinous, imo. I don't believe in abortion as a method of birth control AT ALL Birth control is so readily available, but people (particularly young people) believe that they are invincible and that bad things won't happen to them. Of course it's stupid thinking, but it is what it is. It's my understanding that Sarah Palin is against abortion under any circumstances, including incest and rape, and that is just amazing, coming from a woman.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
No. And there never will be. You know that. That's how these people roll. I'm just saying I don't think Governor Palin had that baby. I think it's her grandchild.
I read this somewhere and didn't really believe it at first. Something about the whole Palin story is very odd. I have never met or heard of a woman who had a child and within six months wanted to take on a job that would pretty much keep her away from that child for years. Many women work after having a baby, but I don't know of any that make career choices that are so dramatic and require them to move far away and be in such a high-profile position that could have her out of the country. Not that this disqualifies a woman or is neccesarily a fault, I just think that the vast majority of women would not want to take on such a huge and long-term change for all the money in the world. Add to this that the child is a special needs child and it seems very odd.

While I am not a mother, I would think that most women would never want to go through a campaign, media focus, move to Washington, and then have a job that has long hours and is somewhat dangerous, with a newborn.

I would be curious to hear what mothers have to say on the issue. If I came across as somewhat sexist, I didn't mean to do so. My point is not that a mother should be eliminated from running, just that I find it odd that they would have any interest in being the VP with a young child.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Reminds me of the old Bette Davis vehicle THE GREAT LIE. Davis & Mary Astor lie to George Brent about the maternity of his baby.

moviekinks.blogspot.com