The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

We've seen Kristen's takes on childrens' rooms, but I wonder what her ideas were like when she decorated a nursery, with the crib and everything. I'd love to see her choices for a baby's room.

Michele
Old 02-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

So much bitterness and venom towards Kristen in this thread... Sad.

She's a fantastic designer in her oeuvre and very much ahead of the trends over the past few years with a very European sensibility. Many major designers in London are now working in similar ways to KB, skillfully mixing and mis-matching different design eras, textures, colours etc. It's definitely the more "haute-couture" end of the industry but within a couple of years you'll see these kind of influences become more prevailent and trickling down to normal peoples decor.

Eclectic is very much "in" and KB happens to be very good at it. There is a reason why her designs are regularly featured and favourably commented upon in design blogs. Does LB's chequebook really buy all that favourable opinion? I don't think so. You may not like her style or want it in your house but that doesn't make her any less talented or deserving of success.

I realize that a lot of the comments are tongue in cheek but theres a nasty, spiteful edge to some peoples views on Kristin Buckingham that I feel has no place on her husband's "fan" forum.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBTH View Post

She's a fantastic designer in her oeuvre and very much ahead of the trends over the past few years with a very European sensibility. Many major designers in London are now working in similar ways to KB, skillfully mixing and mis-matching different design eras, textures, colours etc. It's definitely the more "haute-couture" end of the industry but within a couple of years you'll see these kind of influences become more prevailent and trickling down to normal peoples decor.

Eclectic is very much "in" and KB happens to be very good at it.
Decor is a very personal taste kind of thing. People were just expressing their opinion of her style. It's not for everybody. I like some of the ideas or combinations, but I don't like the way it's presented. My opinion.

And, quite frankly, she is not an innovator in design by any stretch of the imagination. Kristen did not invent eclectic - neither did Madeline Stuart... nothing personal, I think she's at best a great copy-cat.

Quote:
There is a reason why her designs are regularly featured and favourably commented upon in design blogs.
Absolutely. There is a reason.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
So much bitterness and venom towards Kristen in this thread... Sad.

Eclectic is very much "in" and KB happens to be very good at it. There is a reason why her designs are regularly featured and favourably commented upon in design blogs. Does LB's chequebook really buy all that favourable opinion? I don't think so. You may not like her style or want it in your house but that doesn't make her any less talented or deserving of success.

I realize that a lot of the comments are tongue in cheek but theres a nasty, spiteful edge to some peoples views on Kristin Buckingham that I feel has no place on her husband's "fan" forum.
I don't think any of us were trying to be venomous or bitter. Yes, there are some tongue in cheek comments. I do like some of the designs I've seen Kristen set up for kitchens. Her look just isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Last edited by holidayroad; 02-06-2011 at 09:35 AM..
Old 02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I think she's at best a great copy-cat.
My comments were certainly not aimed at you personally but the above sees you moving towards the type of comments aready made by others that suggest begrudgery rather than any strong opinions on interior design.

Noone is claiming that she "invented" eclectic. As I said she just happens to be very good at it. And yes she is innovative in her adventurous use of colour, pattern and artwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
Absolutely. There is a reason.
The thinly veiled suggestion that the only reason she is receiving any attention as a designer is because she married LB and gained access to his money is downright disrespectful and immature. If she wasn't any good she wouldn't be getting the praise and success she is. I know how difficult it is to make a name for yourself in Architecture and Design. I only managed it by designing and building a house with my partner, pouring all our time, energy and money into it to make it as good as it could be then using it as a calling card to get more business. Thankfully it paid off. Is that any different to what Kristen and Lindsey have done?

Last edited by MrBTH; 02-06-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My comments were certainly not aimed at you personally but the above sees you moving towards the type of comments aready made by others that suggest begrudgery rather than any strong opinions on interior design.

Noone is claiming that she "invented" eclectic. As I said she just happens to be very good at it. And yes she is innovative in her adventurous use of colour, pattern and artwork.
I disagree. Kristen Buckingham is not innovative, she is a brand. And, I didn't say anyone was claiming she invented eclectic. I was pointing out that her endeavors are nothing special or spectacular. I've seen it before, I'll see it again. (All except her crescent moon lamp, which I LOVE - we did point out this is a Fleetwood Mac fan board, right? ).

Quote:
The thinly veiled suggestion that the only reason she is receiving any attention as a designer is because she married LB and gained access to his money is downright disrespectful and immature. If she wasn't any good she wouldn't be getting the praise and success she is.
It wasn't veiled - or even thinly veiled. But, your assumption behind my so-called "thinly veiled suggestion" is incorrect - what I believe to be the reason behind the blog site mentions isn't directly related to her gaining access to Lindsey Buckingham's money. And, it's just my opinion so I chose not to elaborate. However, I don't agree that it is in any way disrespectful or immature for others to come to the conclusion that Lindsey's wife has used either his money or his fame to jumpstart her interior design career. It is obvious none of her other career choices panned out and naive to assume her financial investments came from anyone else besides her husband. Unless she got a hella settlement from her other marriage(s)... Frankly, if I were her I would be mad if he didn't front me.

I wasn't aware that being mentioned on a few strategically placed blog sites is now considered praise and success. That's great to know.

Quote:
I know how difficult it is to make a name for yourself in Architecture and Design. I only managed it by designing and building a house with my partner, pouring all our time, energy and money into it to make it as good as it could be then using it as a calling card to get more business. Thankfully it paid off. Is that any different to what Kristen and Lindsey have done?
Congratulations. Yes, it is different.

I can appreciate your defense of Kristen's work that you admire. But, the fact is - not everyone digs her way of decorating. So, people do tend to tease. Lighten up a little.

Last edited by CADreaming; 02-06-2011 at 05:26 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MrBTH, firstly I want to say hello. You may have posted here before but I missed it so I'd like to issue a welcome on my part.

Now as far as your feelings re: some of the comments on this thread. Keep in mind this is a public forum and every person here has an opinion they are entitled to express. I have to say that, personally, I've never read many disparaging remarks directed at Kristen from fans on this page. If anything, people are kind of neutral here compared to other boards and even other musicians' significant others. I would be in the neutral camp. I respect her obvious hard work and talent but I am not in love with the results. However there are pieces of her work, and certain room set-ups, that I think are really great. Her showroom is also very nicely put together.

I'm more of a minimalist than Kristen. Where I prefer to hang maybe 3 or 4 really great pieces of art in one of my rooms, she's into 40. Not saying it's bad or wrong, but it isn't me. I can't pretend or give false praise when I'm not feeling it.

I also have NO ill feelings toward Kristen whatsoever. I think she's very lovely and I attribute her coming into Lindsey's life and having that beautiful family as an artistic rebirth for the man. I have no "spiteful" feelings towards Kristen, nor do I even go there in terms of how she got where she is now...not really a concern of mine. Lindsey loves her and that's all that matters. Not every LB fan feels vindictive towards KB. Some of us have fantastically fulfilled lives with S.O's of our own whom we adore to death. LB is merely a musical love of mine, nothing more. (I know you really didn't address your original post at any individuals but I'd like to just throw that out there because, for some reason, whenever the "wife of" or "girlfriend of" someone whom female fans show love for is brought up there always seems to be the idea that there's some jealousy there...not always the case).

Thanks!

Last edited by Nico; 02-06-2011 at 04:46 PM..
Old 02-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think it's very useful to analyze the motives of posters. You can disagree with the comments without speculating whether they're the product of someone's begrudgery.

The idea that negative posts about Kristin are not appropriate on a forum for Lindsey's fans really misses the mark. Not everything posted here has to be in praise of Lindsey. As far as I know, neither Lindsey nor his wife are on this board. It's more important not to insult people who are actually here participating than it is to be respectful of celebrities with whom none of us are personally interacting.

Michele
Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
neither Lindsey nor his wife are on this board.
Random I know, but wouldn't it be a hoot if a Ledgie (eg, Viv, Louie or even holidayroad) oneday broke their guise and suddenly turned out to be Lindsey all along? Especially if it was holidayroad, considering the shrine she's creating of the man in his forum. That would be a delicious moment XD
Old 02-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
Random I know, but wouldn't it be a hoot if a Ledgie (eg, Viv, Louie or even holidayroad) oneday broke their guise and suddenly turned out to be Lindsey all along? Especially if it was holidayroad, considering the shrine she's creating of the man in his forum. That would be a delicious moment XD

That would definitely be hilarious!!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Love it.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I have actually been wondering this since I joined - which one of you is Lindsey?

I'd say it's not Holidayroad, now could it Bee?
Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

To whichever of you is actually Kristen - Can I be the distributor for your furniture designs in Europe? Please?! :-)

No seriously, sorry I probably came across as a grumpy so and so in my posts. I was in bed with the flu for the past week and clearly had too much time on my hands! This isn't the only online forum I've been getting on my high horse on either - very embarassing!

I'll have to agree to disagree with a lot of you regarding Kristin's talent or otherwise and regarding how she's going about promoting her work and business but I'd just respectfully suggest that maybe a couple of people could tone down the negativity a few notches and be constructive rather be TOTALLY dismissive of what she's doing. Most of what people have been writing has been completely tongue in cheek (and funny - esp the pears!) but there were just a few comments that got to me a bit!

I dont remotely expect everyone to be fawning praise upon her and all she does but as Nico said above she clearly brings a lot to Lindsey's life and for that, amongst many other things, I think she deserves some more positive vibes!

Oh and thanks for the welcome Nico - long time lurker, usually too busy to make any meaningful contribution - but the Ledge is a big part of my life all the same!

B x

Last edited by MrBTH; 02-07-2011 at 07:32 PM..
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm really Vivica Fox. Or am I?
Old 02-08-2011, 04:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I'm really Vivica Fox. Or am I?
Well I'm really Rupert Evere- DAMNIT! I wasn't supposed to tell people! Lol