Old 11-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Bought my Moody Blues tickets today!

I cannot wait to go!

March seems so far away!
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, I just walked into my 12 year old sister's room to ask her something and she literally LEAPT across the room to shut her computer. Naturally, I stopped her and looked to see what she was trying to hide...

She was reading NC-17 Fanfiction about Harry Potter that was literally just smut. She's 12, and she still plays with dolls, for crying outloud. But I know I was ~curious at that age and everything but... she's my little sister....

and I should probably mention that she is behind a couple of years emotionally/maturity wise.. she's got some slight learning disabilities but nothing severe.. she was born with Apert Syndrome and so she has a hard time making real friends sadly which is why I think she kind of stays in her little childish world, because she can make believe.)

I got mad at her and told her she shouldn't read that because she's not 17 and it's not appropriate for her. And I threatened to tell my mom, who would surely totally freak and take her computer away and stuff.

But I mean, I don't want to get her in trouble. I'm just worried of the stuff she'll find on the internet, knowing what a weird place it can be. I thought all she did was play dress-up games... so now I'm conflicted... should I tell my mom?

I don't know what to do. There's a war in my mind right now. I don't want to be a tattle tale but..

Last edited by WildHearted; 11-17-2012 at 02:19 PM..
Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Is your mom receptive to something like, "I think it's time we talk to her about internet safety / boys / life / etc?" That way you won't have to say what it was, just that you're concerned.

Or, maybe there are some more "appropriate" safe places on the web that you could steer her towards?

Last edited by SummerlongBoots; 11-17-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
So, I just walked into my 12 year old sister's room to ask her something and she literally LEAPT across the room to shut her computer. Naturally, I stopped her and looked to see what she was trying to hide...

She was reading NC-17 Fanfiction about Harry Potter that was literally just smut. She's 12, and she still plays with dolls, for crying outloud. But I know I was ~curious at that age and everything but... she's my little sister....

and I should probably mention that she is behind a couple of years emotionally/maturity wise.. she's got some slight learning disabilities but nothing severe.. she was born with Apert Syndrome and so she has a hard time making real friends sadly which is why I think she kind of stays in her little childish world, because she can make believe.)

I got mad at her and told her she shouldn't read that because she's not 17 and it's not appropriate for her. And I threatened to tell my mom, who would surely totally freak and take her computer away and stuff.

But I mean, I don't want to get her in trouble. I'm just worried of the stuff she'll find on the internet, knowing what a weird place it can be. I thought all she did was play dress-up games... so now I'm conflicted... should I tell my mom?

I don't know what to do. There's a war in my mind right now. I don't want to be a tattle tale but..
Tell your mom. She's a child and your mom needs to know. I know Harry Potter fan fiction is probably not a big deal, but I would want to know if my child were reading that type of thing at that age. Hopefully your mom won't freak out but will try to talk to your sister. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

If your mom is going to react that way, I'd say not to tell your mom. Sure, your mom probably should know what your sister is up to, but the fact is that the internet exists and your sister will explore her curiosities sooner or later. Telling your mom would just make it awkward for your sister and upset your mom. Your sister will lose trust in you and your mom will lose trust in your sister all over something that is pretty inevitable. I think the best thing to do is to talk to your sister about it and tell her about your concerns with some of the stuff on the internet. Your sister will find it a whole lot easier to relate with you than with your mom and knowing she can trust you will open up the door for her to come to you with questions in the future. I just feel that if your mom is going to freak out and take her computer away it will only result in shame and embarrassment.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Maybe you should set up the parental controls on her computer. That way you could keep her from going to those sites but not have to tell your mother.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default 40th American Music Awards

40th American Music Awards.Anybody watching it tonight.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 11-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Nicki just won the rap.hip hop award.Stevie probably just chuck her tele out the window.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
40th American Music Awards.Anybody watching it tonight.
Not I, said the bull. I'm sure you'll come out of this with a deep appreciation for modern day radio.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Not I, said the bull. I'm sure you'll come out of this with a deep appreciation for modern day radio.
Hahahaha.LOL.I got it on.So far its ok.I wish Gotye got the At rock award.I like his tunes.I'm not a fan of Lincoln Park. I will probably focus on the country music winners and ignore to rest. Taylor is on now singing her new tune which sounds like rock and roll.I like it to.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hahahaha.LOL.I got it on.So far its ok.I wish Gotye got the At rock award.I like his tunes.I'm not a fan of Lincoln Park. I will probably focus on the country music winners and ignore to rest. Taylor is on now singing her new tune which sounds like rock and roll.I like it to.

Oops here goes another TV out the window ,Nicki is now rapping away on the show.Thank goodness for the mute button.LOL....

Last edited by Macfanforever; 11-18-2012 at 09:33 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The little American Bieber Awards.What happen to Adele.She faded away quick.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
Oops here goes another TV out the window ,Nicki is now rapping away on the show.Thank goodness for the mute button.LOL....
I'm with you on that one. I can't wait until her 15 min. are over.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
LOL I agree . I love that mute button and it got used alot tonight.The Stevie Wonder segment was great with the tribute for Dick Clark from Ryan Seacrest was nice too .I always like his tunes.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I would like to go on record as agreeing with you both 100%.