Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzoforte View Post
FWIW, I have a BMI of 19.2--do I WIN?!
I'm pretty sure I don't because I haven't been able to completely quit purging.

ETA: Have I really reached the point of over-sharing on a message board just to make a point? Eh, maybe. Hope I'm not making everyone uncomfortable. For the record, I'm in therapy and have made a lot of progress.
Good for you for getting help. Have you watched "Addicted to Food" on OWN? Intense.

Try to remember that when people are concerned with other people's weight that is on them. It is nothing personal. I cringe whenever anyone says Stevie is heavy or skinny. I just wish it wasn't such a "thing" but it is.

I don't think Homie meant any harm, he's been successful at weight loss. I think sometimes you look at others and think that at least you are not or no longer there. But it doesn't mean you wish them ill, you know?

Sorry, I am totally butting in. But I am a foodie myself and have struggled with my weight and body image issues. I also tend to see criticism where it doesn't exist.

Keep up the good "fight", Grace. I am currently reading "Women, Food, and God". There's some good stuff in there.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I absolutely believe you didn't intend to put anyone down, but I do think you should give more consideration to the way you discuss weight on here in general. I don't think this is entirely in my head--I know I'm not the only one who has been troubled by your posts on the subject.

Alright, now I feel like I've said all I can say on the matter. Peace.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In other news...

I just got an email from the house manager of the place I'm staying at for the summer. He's hosting a barbeque tomorrow for all the boarders, and there's going to be a house meeting beforehand. I emailed him back and explained that I work on Sundays so I'll be late to the barbeque, but I would really appreciate it if he would tell me what he plans to discuss at the meeting. He responded with, "Yeah sure, but how late will you be to the barbeque?" Now, I'm running off of very, very, very little sleep today, so I'm not in the best mood, but that really pissed me off. I wrote back explaining that the time will really depend on a number of factors relating to my job, but since we're no longer talking about the meeting, I don't really understand why he needs to know my schedule. I told him that I was absolutely fine with the mandatory rent and housecare policies in the contract I signed, but I wasn't cool with mandatory socializing. He hasn't answered. Was I out of line?
You're so like me

Last edited by LikeAWillow; 06-11-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I will forever be in a weight battle. Just because I've been winning for a couple of years, doesn't mean it's over. It will never be over. My body wants to weigh 5o lbs more than I'm willing to let it, period.
For me, living by some hard rules like "NO McDONALDS", does make it easier to toe the line. I just WON'T eat there(I use them only as a fast food crap example - they're all the same).

So I think most of us here have weight/body image issues.

Let's just drop it.

Peace.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

JTIS... BMIs are not the holy grail used to analyze someone's weight anymore. More muscle=more weight=higher BMI so it is an inherently flawed tool.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have been trying to get back into the gym regularly and I haven't been very successful. I have found that I am raring to go on Monday morning but then as the week progresses, I'm done. It's ridiculous; I've only been going one time a week lately (Monday morning). I can't figure out how to get myself back on track. I go to bed relatively early- I just feel so damned tired. Getting old sucks. Being young, thin, and eating whatever I wanted was much more fun.

I have no idea what my BMI is- might be interesting to find out. Eating disorders, body image disorders, etc. are so difficult. There is a place in my clinical assessment where I ask about eating habits. I hate to get an affirmative on those questions- eating disordered clients are difficult to treat. You're dealing with both a physical and mental illness and clients are frequently resistant to change.

If there's one thing I've learned while moderating this board, it's to keep my mouth shut. Admittedly it bugs me when people bicker, but by the time I sit down to say something about it, I've lost interest. Is that bad?
Old 06-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC View Post
I have been trying to get back into the gym regularly and I haven't been very successful. I have found that I am raring to go on Monday morning but then as the week progresses, I'm done. It's ridiculous; I've only been going one time a week lately (Monday morning). I can't figure out how to get myself back on track. I go to bed relatively early- I just feel so damned tired. Getting old sucks. Being young, thin, and eating whatever I wanted was much more fun.

I have no idea what my BMI is- might be interesting to find out. Eating disorders, body image disorders, etc. are so difficult. There is a place in my clinical assessment where I ask about eating habits. I hate to get an affirmative on those questions- eating disordered clients are difficult to treat. You're dealing with both a physical and mental illness and clients are frequently resistant to change.

If there's one thing I've learned while moderating this board, it's to keep my mouth shut. Admittedly it bugs me when people bicker, but by the time I sit down to say something about it, I've lost interest. Is that bad?
how about everytime i tweet that i'm going to work out, you go work out! lol! it's not easy for most ppl to go to the gym alone. you should find a work out buddy.

ok and what is "bmi"? i'm too lazy to go back pages and find the post about it..... i'm guessing it means "body mass index"......i'm sure that's wrong tho lol
Old 06-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumidesigns View Post
how about everytime i tweet that i'm going to work out, you go work out! lol! it's not easy for most ppl to go to the gym alone. you should find a work out buddy.

ok and what is "bmi"? i'm too lazy to go back pages and find the post about it..... i'm guessing it means "body mass index"......i'm sure that's wrong tho lol
The only time I can go is 5am and no one is interested in joining me then! That's also why it's so hard for me to go more than once per week. My father in law was going with me, but he crapped out on me after the second week. Yes, BMI is body mass index.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The only time I can go is 5am and no one is interested in joining me then! That's also why it's so hard for me to go more than once per week. My father in law was going with me, but he crapped out on me after the second week. Yes, BMI is body mass index.
yay! i'm smart!!!

well there's tons you can do. take the steps instead of the elevator, walk on lunch, drink water and greentea instead of coffee. keep fruit on your desk too!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I have no idea what my BMI is-

Getting old does suck!!! And I made the choice (almost)two years ago, that I was going to EAT my way to thin. Because FUKC exercise!(yes, a poor decision). But I will tell all, that being thin RULES. I can't begin to describe the attention it has gained me. I have played with the same band, since my early 20's. A woman asked me tonight, "you're not the same guy that used to play with this band, are you? Because you look way too young to be him." I just said, "well, I used to look a lot different".

(see, I should be able to share that, without hyper-sensitive people freaking the fukc out - so please check your Ritalin before you post.) BUT, people don't think you're old, in general, if you're thin.

I never knew or cared, what BMI was, until I took the free test today....

While I was amazed by Brian's admission that 'he should have stepped back, and just let "it" take care of itself'(and it took every fiber of my being to not let every thought I have on "that" matter FLY), he is now correct, IMO. Things have a way of working themselves out, if you believe that most of us do have a conscience, and empathy, and
caring for others....
But now, I've lost interest too!!!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:11 AM
HomerMcvie
This message has been deleted by HomerMcvie.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by APerfectLie View Post
JTIS... BMIs are not the holy grail used to analyze someone's weight anymore. More muscle=more weight=higher BMI so it is an inherently flawed tool.
Very true. BMI is BS - or at least how it is used is BS. I work out, so my weight is high for my height. According to BMI, I fit in the "obese" category based solely on my weight/height proportion. This means that if I switch my health insurance policy to another company, I have to pay a big extra fee. They do not take into account whether it's muscle or fat that tips the scales. They advised me (off the record, of course) that I might avoid the fee if I stop working out & starve myself (their exact words!) for a bit so my weight would fall just for the initial weigh-in, & then as a policy holder I could put on as much weight as I want - even if it's fat. (I stuck with my old/outrageously priced policy.) Gotta love health care in the USA.

- Jake
Old 06-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Im fat too! everyone saids im skinny but I dont know how they can think that

SuperFleetwood
www.youtube.com/SuperFleetwoodMac (Watch Rare HQ Fleetwood Mac Videos) And youtube.com/thesuperfleetwood
Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
While no offense is taken, see, almost nothing can be said around here, without someone else pointing out why they think you're in the wrong, or non-PC, or whatever.

I merely pointed out that I was curious, as to their own BMI's. No competition, nothing like that(clearly, since the one guy made 2.5 of me, I WON!).

So yeah, thanks for telling me that I shouldn't be curious. You're working with tons of ASSumptions there...
if you can make an educated guess about their height & weight (which apparently you did), you can figure out their BMI, even though it doesn't matter. also, as someone else pointed out, BMI is largely BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeAWillow View Post
In other news...

I just got an email from the house manager of the place I'm staying at for the summer. He's hosting a barbeque tomorrow for all the boarders, and there's going to be a house meeting beforehand. I emailed him back and explained that I work on Sundays so I'll be late to the barbeque, but I would really appreciate it if he would tell me what he plans to discuss at the meeting. He responded with, "Yeah sure, but how late will you be to the barbeque?" Now, I'm running off of very, very, very little sleep today, so I'm not in the best mood, but that really pissed me off. I wrote back explaining that the time will really depend on a number of factors relating to my job, but since we're no longer talking about the meeting, I don't really understand why he needs to know my schedule. I told him that I was absolutely fine with the mandatory rent and housecare policies in the contract I signed, but I wasn't cool with mandatory socializing. He hasn't answered. Was I out of line?
no. good for you. mandatory socializing gives me the heebie-jeebies. he's a house manager, not a b&b manager. also: i'm a bit of a misanthrope and a miser about my personal time.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

After finishing the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer I've completely lost my motivation. Ugh! I think I'm going to suck it up and hire a trainer.

I heard that about eating disordered clients and it is sad. I have a friend who struggles so much and it's very difficult to watch since she is STUNNING so it's impossible to see what she sees when she looks in the mirror. I can't help her though, I did try and she put me at arm's length. I'm okay with that though. If she's choosing not to change and stay miserable I really can't be around that. It's not just the food it's also alcohol abuse and bad men. Too much.

Jannie, I don't think it's bad that you lose interest, haha. That comes with wisdom, pick your battles, even on The Ledge! Perhaps especially on The Ledge!
Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
That's where I went wrong too. I tried so hard to get everyone to play nice with each other, instead of just letting them work it out (or not) for themselves. Was way more stressful than it needed to be. The Ledge is a whollllle lot more fun for me now!

In other news, my stomach's growling. Trying to lose a couple lbs for pool season & starvation seems to be the quickest way. lol.
You always did a good job. Being a Ledge moderator is probably not the job for people who are "too nice". You were a mod for a looong time as well, it was probably just time for someone else to take the reigns.